Anyone else had muscle recovery problems?

Options
TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
I'm doing NROL4W, Stage 1. I am *supposed* to be doing 3 workouts/week, but the muscle pain has been really intense. I forced myself to lift in the first week even though I was still in major pain. Huge mistake. I couldn't workout from Thursday evening until Tuesday afternoon! Just too much intense pain. A friend of mine who is a bodybuilder said that much pain is due to overtraining, and that if I didn't rest/heal I would go backwards in my muscle growth goals. So I took the time to heal until the pain was very minimal. While I want to do the program as it is written, I think I should only do 2 workouts/week until the pain is less intense - DOMS instead of completely overworked/overtrained. And no, sadly, I'm not using mammoth-huge weights. I'm just that out of shape, I guess. Anyone else have to do 2 workouts/week initially? Will it really mess up the program if I lower my weekly workouts? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm annoyed that my muscles are being so difficult! : (

BTW...I still am doing cardio twice a week (nothing intense) and am wanting to implement yoga as well to help with the stretching that will aid in the muscle recovery.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are starting with too much weight. You should figure out your 1RM, how much weight can you lift for 10 reps, but not 11...then maybe start lifting at 60% of that and then start increasing from there.
  • guava6982
    guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did the program with a workout buddy, and we only did 2 workouts/week. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think that Lou said that 3x/week is optimal, more than 3 is too much, and less than 2 is ineffective, so 2 should be fine if that's what you need for recovery. The program took us longer because of it, but I still saw great results and got a lot out of it.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of listening to your body. If you are truly that sore, take a few extra days off. Start the program slower with 2 days a week. Lift less weight the first 2-3 weeks.

Also drink tons and tons of water and try a protein shake after lifting. I do cardio after I lift and then I stretch really good. If I don't do those things I get really, really sore.
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    Lucia - Thank you for that tip. I will definitely figure that number!

Guava - Thank you! Somehow I missed that section on 2 workouts per week being okay. I feel much better now!

Ladyace - I stretched ALOT this last workout, and while I'm sore, I'm not in excruciating pain. I can't do cardio on the same day I lift (rules of the workout), however, I did 25 minutes of moderate cardio the day after I lifted. I also drink a protein shake post-workout, but, I might be waiting too long to get that shake in me. I posted about protein shake time frame, so we'll see. : )
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating enough protein? Have you taken any supplements, specifically BCAA's? I drink Xtend during my workouts (and now once a day on rest days) and I have very little muscle soreness. I have been lifting 4x/week, different muscle groups each time of course.
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    Dewgirl - I eat 150 grams of protein daily. I don't take any BCAA's...what is that? And what is xtend? LOL!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    2 workouts is fine, 3 is optimal.. whatever works best for you..
    Also maybe lessen your load. You might be lifting way too much for starting off. Its an 6-8 week stage, so dont rush and try to lift real heavy right away.. try lowering the weight and see how it feels.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Lucia - Thank you for that tip. I will definitely figure that number!

Guava - Thank you! Somehow I missed that section on 2 workouts per week being okay. I feel much better now!

Ladyace - I stretched ALOT this last workout, and while I'm sore, I'm not in excruciating pain. I can't do cardio on the same day I lift (rules of the workout), however, I did 25 minutes of moderate cardio the day after I lifted. I also drink a protein shake post-workout, but, I might be waiting too long to get that shake in me. I posted about protein shake time frame, so we'll see. : )

I would still recommend walking at a fairly fast pace for about 10 minutes after weight training. It helps me out tremendously to reduce soreness to get some blood flow through my muscles after weight training.
  • dewgirl321
    Options
    LOL, yeah the name is funny. Here's some good info on it: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sv/xtend.html It's an intra-workout supplement (with BCAA's - branched chain amino acids - to help muscle endurance and recovery). I love the lemon lime sour flavor.

I also take SuperPump Max pre-workout (pink lemonade) - it has caffeine, creatine (for building muscle), and BCAA's. I definitely feel like I can lift more and make it through longer workouts, plus I can feel my muscles "working" but I don't really get sore. You can also get BCAA's in pill form, but I like the powder. Might as well add flavor to some of the water I'm drinking!
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    Dewgirl - THANK YOU!!! I am i'll over anything that is going to aid in making me stronger and fitter. Def. going to get both of those suggested supplements. Question: Does the super pump max have *alot* of caffeine? Because of a heart issue I avoid very much caffeine, as a rule. Don't do coffee except VERY rarely, do decaf/herbal teas and no soda. I hate the affect caffeine has on me - heart races and "flutters". : /

Rayann - Thank you for reminding me that it's a six-eight week stage. I sometimes expect to be "She-Ra" right away, forgetting that she had super powers, whereas my only super power is being able to pick a pen up off the floor with my toes. ; ) I really, really appreciate the reality check/encouragement!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Dewgirl - THANK YOU!!! I am i'll over anything that is going to aid in making me stronger and fitter. Def. going to get both of those suggested supplements. Question: Does the super pump max have *alot* of caffeine? Because of a heart issue I avoid very much caffeine, as a rule. Don't do coffee except VERY rarely, do decaf/herbal teas and no soda. I hate the affect caffeine has on me - heart races and "flutters". : /

Rayann - Thank you for reminding me that it's a six-eight week stage. I sometimes expect to be "She-Ra" right away, forgetting that she had super powers, whereas my only super power is being able to pick a pen up off the floor with my toes. ; ) I really, really appreciate the reality check/encouragement!

I drink GNC Wheybolic Amp 60 one scoop right after my work out and use a different protien shake for not work out days. This one has stuff in it that aids in recover and muscle strength. It is expensive but I only take one scoop instead of 3 (meant for big boys) so it lasts 2 months. http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3509954&cp=3703232 the chocolate tastes like cold chocolate milk and I only mix it with water. I was having issues with real sore muscles in the beginning and since I have been taking this I am achy (the feeling that I worked the muscle good) but not sore at all.
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    Cclancaster - Thank you! I'm def. going to check that out. Chocolate Milk = YUM!!! : )
  • dewgirl321
    Options
    Question: Does the super pump max have *alot* of caffeine? Because of a heart issue I avoid very much caffeine, as a rule. Don't do coffee except VERY rarely, do decaf/herbal teas and no soda. I hate the affect caffeine has on me - heart races and "flutters". : /

I'm not sure how much caffeine is in it, maybe 150-200mg? Probably a lot for you since you don't even drink soda. There's a warning on it that if you're sensitive to caffeine you shouldn't take it or should start with a smaller dose. Max Muscle has a different pre-workout without caffeine. I forgot the name of it and can't find it online, but I went there for a pre-workout and they said it was a popular one. I bought it, and it was ok, but I personally prefer to have caffeine in my pre-workout so I exchanged it for FBX. FBX = Full Blown Extreme - it's great, I have to force myself to leave the gym because I can just keep going and going on that stuff! I switch off FBX and SuperPump Max so that I don't build up a tolerance to either one. You should be able to ask someone at MaxMuscle or another supplement store for a good pre-workout without caffeine. Xtend doesn't have any caffeine though and that solves your muscle soreness problem!
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    Dewgirl - Thank you for that info - I am going to look for stimulant-free pre-workout supplements just as you suggested. I am excited - this is all so new to me but I am LOVING that there are so many ways to support your bodies needs through supplements. : )