Successful 1st Day?

Options
beckkotsch
beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
Primal eating has always seemed to appeal to me. I didnt actually consider doing it until this last week though. I've noticed lots of stomach issues, sleeping problems and slooooow weight loss the last few months and I'm hoping this change will be for the best all around. Anywho, I started today. I came in at like 92g for carbs, 93g protien. (I'm a 5 ft woman, 140 lbs, wanting to lose another 10-20 lbs) I was over on my sugar though but I think most of that was from fruit. I did eat oatmeal for breakfast this morning and I'm planning on weaning myself off of that (I totally LOVE the refrigerated oatmeal) I think that's gonna be the hardest part for me. Im nervous b/c I picked a bad time to start...we're going out of town tomorrow a.m. and I'm running my first 5k. My brother wants to carb load tomorrow night....eek! Plus with all the traveling....

I suppose I'd count this day as a success, no? And tips, or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Y'all seem very educated in this subject and I love that!

Replies

• kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't know how educated I am on this subject as I have only been paleo going on 2 months so keep that in mind...anyway, the first couple of days for me was like being sick. I learned why they call it the carb flu. Not so much the first day but the two after that. I did, however, go cold turkey and cut out grains/dairy/sugar/legumes all at the same time I do know that for weight loss you want to go easy on the fruit. Since starting I've lost about 15 lbs but I have a lot more to go.

Good luck with your run! I would be cautious with changing your diet drastically right before a race only because you may not be certain how your body will respond and I would hate for you to have a terrible run or for your performance to be affected. That being said, I am not a runner either (I'm a swimmer) :laugh: but I would probably think the same thing if you were swimming a 1600m this weekend. After the race, however, I would get right back on track. Someone else may say something different but from what I've heard, the first few days can be pretty rough so keep that in mind.

I hope you like your new paleo/primal lifestyle! So far I haven't met anyone who has tried it who didn't!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I agree with kecarlto, change before your run may not be the best idea since that "flu" feeling may hit at the same time as your run. New beginning afterwards could work best. Good luck running and with your new lifesstyle.
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    Yea, I know I should have waited until this weekend was over but I hate having "excuses". I used to do that all the time. "Oh, I'll way til Monday" or "I'll wait until after this holiday/event" I feel good right now. Granted, I just started day 2, but I'm just gonna kinda go off how my body feels. If I "need" more Carbs than I'll eat them and not feel too bad but if not, than great!

Thanks for your imput, ladies!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Do it slowly - if for now you are having oatmeal and running 5 K then stick with that for a little bit...if you do changes slowly then you won't get hit with the carb flu and your body can adjust over time...

One thing I noticed even when i switched to fully eating Paleo (did a pretty strict 30 day Paleo challenge a while back) I REALLY had to watch my carbs and sugars and for me that meant cutting down to only one higher carb/sugar fruit OR veggie (love squash but they are higher in carbs/sugars) a day and keeping my carbs down to about 60 a day to really have a weight loss.

I have gone up a bit on my carbs (to about 80/day with 2 fruits/higher sugar veggies) a day and I am maintaining....planning on cycling back down to try and loose some more weight and then go back to trying to maintain that for a bit...

Also - if you are exercising and such and switch to eating Paleo - you may not see big leaps on the scale but overall you may have other experiences - I have lost a lot of body fat, changed my body shape but on the scale it has gone slowly (people think I have lost far more than what I actually have because my body shape has changed a lot) - so there is the possibility you could have minimum changes on the scale but some major changes in your body...
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    Twinmom...great advice. My original plan was to ease into anyway so I'm good there. I obviously still would like to lose weight so I guess I'll see how my body reacts and bump my carbs down more if I need to. With that said, as much as I'd love to see the scale move, I'm def over the #. I'm all about losing bf, having looser jeans, etc with the scale staying the same:)

I think I've done well on the road so far. Beef jerky and pork rinds for snacks. My salad from Wendy's was all too bad except for the sodium but Im chugging water so all should be well. Why is it that you're so much hungrier than you normally are when you're sitting in a car for 10+ hours?! Haha:) I am worried about once we get to our destination...meeting my bro at a coffee shop and then out to dinner.
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    Y'all were right, I totally shouldn't have tried to change up my eating over a 4 day weekend, especially since I was traveling. What can I say? I'm stubborn! :) I did great on Friday but after my 5k on Saturday, I lost all self control (as far as primal eating goes).

I started back up yesterday and did great, even better than last thursday! Here's hoping for another great day!

Oh, and I started using coconut milk in my coffee instead of creamer and I bought my first bottle of coconut oil. Yay for coconut! ;)