deadlifts less than 95#

Options
sleepytexan
sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
Hi,

You do have to start out deadlifting less than 95#, right?

My gym does not have all plates at 17", so I'm currently deadlifting 75# using small 10 and 5# plates. (just finished 5th workout using NROL4W).

So, how do you deadlift using plates smaller than 17"? Do you stack 1 or 2 plates flat on the floor on each side and rest the barbell on them? I stacked plates flat on the floor, but it is so awkward putting the bar back down; it rolls and sometimes falls off the stacked plates.

Is there a secret to this, or am I underestimating what I could do? Do I go right up to using 2 25# plates on the bar?

thanks.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    Options
    bump
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand. I warm up by deadlifting the 35 lb and 45 lb bar, it's really more of "romanian" deadlift, I guess since I am starting at the top. But then when I add plates and I guess they are less than 17"-why is that a problem? You have to reach too low/too far down to pick up the bar?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I guess I don't understand. I warm up by deadlifting the 35 lb and 45 lb bar, it's really more of "romanian" deadlift, I guess since I am starting at the top. But then when I add plates and I guess they are less than 17"-why is that a problem? You have to reach too low/too far down to pick up the bar?

regardless of what kind of deadlift you're doing, if the bar is too low on the ground for a pull, you will compromise your form and risk injury. You can't really deadlift from the rack, bc you're not doing a true deadlift --there's no pull up from the ground, and you have to pull it off the rack toward you.

I did get some great answers, however on another thread: use towels on top of the stacked plates, use risers (from Reebok steps), or use foam blocks. some gyms have wood blocks or trainer plates (ideal), but mine does not.

thanks,
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm still not sure what you guys are talking about, really. If I find that reaching that low to pick up the bar to start my set will compromise my form, I bend my knees slightly until I get my grip, straighten my legs, and start lifting. Once I get up to larger plates I will actually stand on a small platform so that I can get a full extension in my hamstrings during the downward movement. Typically I want the bar to be within a few inches of my ankles when I am near the bottom of the movement. All this is done while bending at the hips and with a natural curve ("straight") back.

This could be an issue of body proportion for some, such as what many run into when trying to do full squats. However, I am 64" tall and have a 32" inseam, so I think I am well proportioned. Maybe small plates are an issue for people with very long legs or who are overall very tall?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I'm still not sure what you guys are talking about, really. If I find that reaching that low to pick up the bar to start my set will compromise my form, I bend my knees slightly until I get my grip, straighten my legs, and start lifting. Once I get up to larger plates I will actually stand on a small platform so that I can get a full extension in my hamstrings during the downward movement. Typically I want the bar to be within a few inches of my ankles when I am near the bottom of the movement. All this is done while bending at the hips and with a natural curve ("straight") back.

This could be an issue of body proportion for some, such as what many run into when trying to do full squats. However, I am 64" tall and have a 32" inseam, so I think I am well proportioned. Maybe small plates are an issue for people with very long legs or who are overall very tall?

Hi, thanks for your response. We are talking about deadlifts. You would not stand on a platform to do deadlifts. Here is a video about what we're talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

You can hear in the video at about 0:35, Mark Rippletoe is talking about how you can't use an empty bar, you must have the bar at the standard height, etc. etc. He mentions that Crossfit has bumper plates to bring the bar to the correct height. Not all gyms have bumper plates. So . . .

If you are deadlifting less than 95# and you don't have bumper plates to lift the bar to the correct height, you can hurt yourself. Therefore you can stack plates on the ground on each side to raise the bar up to the correct height. The original question was how to keep the barbell from rolling off the plates, and an idea to prevent that is to use towels on the stacked plates.

I am pleased to say I am past 95# now, so I don't need to worry about that anymore.

blessings,
    L
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem, so I do know what you are talking about, and I found your post useful. I'm lifting lighter weights with a small circumference, so the barbell at the start of the lift is only about 2 or 3 inches off the ground. I feel silly asking this, but how do you go about lifting the barbell on to the stacked plates? (Not that I have any plates left to stack - they're all on the bar! But I'm thinking of improvising). I'm using weights at home so would be lifting from the ground on to the plates.

I've been lifting from the ground as I didn't know the height of the barbell mattered. I have fairly short legs so I don't know if that makes it OK. I've seen some weights which look bigger in circumference, so I may just buy those and see if they help.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I've had the same problem, so I do know what you are talking about, and I found your post useful. I'm lifting lighter weights with a small circumference, so the barbell at the start of the lift is only about 2 or 3 inches off the ground. I feel silly asking this, but how do you go about lifting the barbell on to the stacked plates? (Not that I have any plates left to stack - they're all on the bar! But I'm thinking of improvising). I'm using weights at home so would be lifting from the ground on to the plates.

I've been lifting from the ground as I didn't know the height of the barbell mattered. I have fairly short legs so I don't know if that makes it OK. I've seen some weights which look bigger in circumference, so I may just buy those and see if they help.

at the gym, I pull the barbell off the rack and place it onto the stacked plates. At home, I see you would be limited, but I would put the empty barbell down onto the stacked plates and then load it.

I can see you wouldn't want to buy a lot of extra plates for stacking if you don't have to -- someone else on another thread had suggested using the risers for a Reebok step, and stacking several on each side.

I found when doing Pendlay rows that the barbell height seems to me the most important of all -- you can't even get the pull straight (it would have to go out and around your knees) if the bar is too low.

good luck!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've managed to find two bigger (in circumference) weights which will fit on my bar. What a difference! I didn't think of putting the bar on the plates before stacking it. It's obvious now you mention it!
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Thank you! I've managed to find two bigger (in circumference) weights which will fit on my bar. What a difference! I didn't think of putting the bar on the plates before stacking it. It's obvious now you mention it!

Good! Enjoy!
  • Miss_Kaz80
    Miss_Kaz80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The lower the bar, the higher the glute activation. Unless you are powerlifting or Olympic weightlifting the bar height means ****.
    Google Ukraine Deadlifts.
    Lower pull of a deadlift works glutes/hamstrings, complete leg drive. Higher pull of the deadlift is primarily lower back.
    Stop fart arsing around with bar height and just lift!

I'm a 55kg powerlifter and pull 110kgs from ankle height in training.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    The lower the bar, the higher the glute activation. Unless you are powerlifting or Olympic weightlifting the bar height means ****.
    Google Ukraine Deadlifts.
    Lower pull of a deadlift works glutes/hamstrings, complete leg drive. Higher pull of the deadlift is primarily lower back.
    Stop fart arsing around with bar height and just lift!

I'm a 55kg powerlifter and pull 110kgs from ankle height in training.

uh, ok. that is a totally different exercise, but we are all very grateful for your helpful and kind words for beginners trying to start with lower weights.

In the future, we should all seek your advice instead of listening to amateurs like Mark Rippletoe.