Anyone not lose while breastfeeding no matter what you did?

Options
Luunila
Luunila Posts: 7 Member
Help! With my first daughter I gained 70lbs. And by the end of the first month I lost 40, 50 by 2 months, and then 60 by 4 months. I never had to diet though I did exercise a few times a week starting around 3 months, but that's it!

So I'm completely baffled now because I just had my second daughter 2 months ago. I gained 70lbs again. Immediately dropped about 30-35lbs. And then when she was about a month I joined MFP and lost 2 lbs. but no matter how I seem to adjust my calories (more or less) the scale won't budge! Has anyone else had this problem? I've started working out 3 times a week, and I'm fairly active throughout the day chasing a 19month old. I BF exclusively. She does sleep through the night so I add back about an extra 300-400cals a day for milk supply plus I eat my workout calls too.

So has anyone else dealt with this? And if you couldn't lose until you stopped BFing were you at least able to somewhat tone and reshape your body with exercise? Did it fall off quickly when you did stop? (FYI I do intend to bf for at least a year no matter what)

I just need some encouragement! Please friend me and help keep me accountable because this is so discouraging day to day and it's hard for my husband too because I'm so upset with how I look...I'm too fat for most of my maternity clothes even!

Replies

• KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Oh momma have I been there! I gained about 70lbs with my first son and lost roughly 30 in a few months, then no matter what I GAINED!!! So I stopped trying and weighing. Fast forward a few years now my son is 3 and I just had another boy 8 months ago. I gained roughly 40 ( counted calories half the pregnancy) and have lost 68lbs since I went in to deliver I also exclusively breastfeed. ( my first son self weaned at 16 months I was devestated) After my first stopped nursing I dropped almost 20lbs immediately.

Im going to add you and see how your tracking is that should help me understand better whats going on. I worked with a nutritionist and lactation consultant earlier in my journey and have a good friend whos a lactation consultant and also lost weight while breastfeeding she kind of mentors people. Dont give up and try not to hate on your body after all you carried, delivered, and now nourish a beautiful baby and that is more amazing and gorgeous than some teeny thighs and a flat tummy any day!
  • Btrfly2541
    Btrfly2541 Posts: 14
    Options
    I could have written this post myself! I was lucky and only gained 25 pounds with my daughter (born 4/1/12); and lost 15 within two weeks. I started light exercise and calorie counting on 5/1, then started exercising with Insanity, Turbo Fire and walking about 2 weeks ago. I feel stronger, but my clothes are actually getting tighter! I weighed myself yesterday and found that I lost 1.5 pounds (finally), but honestly I don't think it will "stick". I think I'll see those pounds back next time I weigh myself (probably only water weight lost). I really can't understand why my clothes fit me better when I was 9 months pregnant- especially my thighs.

I ebf and was eating no less than 1700 calories (start with 1200 and add 500 for ebf) and eating back calories lost with exercise. I had trouble eating that many without eating snacks and junk food (which I was all too happy to do). I am trying to cut out the junk and eat as much healthy food as I want. This means my average intake this week is about 1400-1500. So far, no change in milk supply.

I am so completely discouraged witih my body and weight loss. I just turned 40 and had the Mirena placed about 2 weeks ago; so I don't know if either of these is contributing to my problem.

Please add me as a friend-- I don't know how to add friends as I'm just branching out after using only the phone app.
  • Luunila
    Options
    Thank you both so much! I was getting really discouraged that no one was replying. Starting to think no one had ever had this problem. I will add you both. Since posting I haven't been tracking. I'm still exercising a few times a week, but I just figured that since no matter what I do I seem to stay the same I'm going to stop worrying and just eat the healthy foods I enjoy and just see if it's the stress that's keeping the pounds on. I figure I'll give myself until my daughter is 3 months and re-evaluate from there. But I still check in everyday, I'm undecided on if I will still chart.

@katfields- I would love though if you would look through my old entries and let me know what you think. It's nice to know I'm not the only person who gained 70lbs while pregnant. Did you deal with high BP, pre eclampsia, or gestational diabetes at all? Those were my problems, and did not make for a very fun pregnancy once my third tri started!

Thanks again!

@btrfly-I so feel you.....I felt better in my maternity clothes pregnant! Somehow being 30lbs lighter and not pregnant my clothes are tighter. My husband gave me a chuck of money for a shopping spree for mothers day and I've found one shirt so far and that's it. Most XL are too small on me. I'm 5'10 and have always worn size L anyways, so I didn't have much room for growth anyways :-/

That's great that you have no problems staying with those calories. I felt like I was starving with only 1800-1900 calls a day. I'm wondering if that might have to do with my milk supply. I have a major oversupply this time around that doesn't seem to be regulating. Who knows!?

Anyways, thanks so much ladies, it means the world to me that you took the time to reply!
  • DreamersWifey
    DreamersWifey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I actuallrd gained 20!!!

I gained 55 during pregnancy
    Then gained 20 pounds after birth!!!

So as of now
    I've lost 55 pounds and my sons 13 months
    I need to get that extra 20 off!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My DD just turned 2 and is still nursing nights, evenings and weekends. We cosleep. Pretty much any time I'm with her she wants to nurse. I've been trying to lose weight since december last yr with little luck. I exercise (though lax right now), I ran 5Ks, I eat right (mostly) but I am having the hardest time with losing weight and also inches. I would be happy if inches dropped but that's not happening either. I have decided to take it easy for now. I plan to start a new exercise regimen soon but to be honest, I lack the motivation given the lack of progress I got from consistent exercise and eating right for 4 months. So discouraged. You're not alone!!
  • KatFierce
    Options
    I could have written this post myself! I was lucky and only gained 25 pounds with my daughter (born 4/1/12); and lost 15 within two weeks. I started light exercise and calorie counting on 5/1, then started exercising with Insanity, Turbo Fire and walking about 2 weeks ago. I feel stronger, but my clothes are actually getting tighter! I weighed myself yesterday and found that I lost 1.5 pounds (finally), but honestly I don't think it will "stick". I think I'll see those pounds back next time I weigh myself (probably only water weight lost). I really can't understand why my clothes fit me better when I was 9 months pregnant- especially my thighs.

I ebf and was eating no less than 1700 calories (start with 1200 and add 500 for ebf) and eating back calories lost with exercise. I had trouble eating that many without eating snacks and junk food (which I was all too happy to do). I am trying to cut out the junk and eat as much healthy food as I want. This means my average intake this week is about 1400-1500. So far, no change in milk supply.

I am so completely discouraged witih my body and weight loss. I just turned 40 and had the Mirena placed about 2 weeks ago; so I don't know if either of these is contributing to my problem.

Please add me as a friend-- I don't know how to add friends as I'm just branching out after using only the phone app.

Sounds like your not eating enough calories actually. Go into tools up at the top and under that there is a BMR calculator. That will tell you the bare minimum number of calories your body needs to function if you were in a coma. Then you need to add 500 for exclusively breastfeeding, and add on any exercise you do. You do not have to eat back your exercise calories, but no one should eat under their BMR ( I am 5'5, age 22, and 173lbs my BMR is 1596 cals plus 500 for Breastfeeding) and no breastfeeding mommy should eat under 1700-1800 as it can mess with the nutrient contents of your milk.
  • KatFierce
    Options
    *blushes* No :( My first son was 10lbs 11.2 oz and 21 1/2 inches at birth, I lost 30lbs immediately due to him and water weight. The other 40lbs was all me or should I say comfort foods, big macs and icecream. I will go back a bit and see what I can suggest. I am in no way an expert but have worked with my fair share of them, and been at this a while with some success.
    Thank you both so much! I was getting really discouraged that no one was replying. Starting to think no one had ever had this problem. I will add you both. Since posting I haven't been tracking. I'm still exercising a few times a week, but I just figured that since no matter what I do I seem to stay the same I'm going to stop worrying and just eat the healthy foods I enjoy and just see if it's the stress that's keeping the pounds on. I figure I'll give myself until my daughter is 3 months and re-evaluate from there. But I still check in everyday, I'm undecided on if I will still chart.

@katfields- I would love though if you would look through my old entries and let me know what you think. It's nice to know I'm not the only person who gained 70lbs while pregnant. Did you deal with high BP, pre eclampsia, or gestational diabetes at all? Those were my problems, and did not make for a very fun pregnancy once my third tri started!

Thanks again!

@btrfly-I so feel you.....I felt better in my maternity clothes pregnant! Somehow being 30lbs lighter and not pregnant my clothes are tighter. My husband gave me a chuck of money for a shopping spree for mothers day and I've found one shirt so far and that's it. Most XL are too small on me. I'm 5'10 and have always worn size L anyways, so I didn't have much room for growth anyways :-/

That's great that you have no problems staying with those calories. I felt like I was starving with only 1800-1900 calls a day. I'm wondering if that might have to do with my milk supply. I have a major oversupply this time around that doesn't seem to be regulating. Who knows!?

Anyways, thanks so much ladies, it means the world to me that you took the time to reply!
  • KatFierce
    Options
    Do you measure your food or weigh it? I really think the absolute best thing to do is to measure and track everything you eat and drink and do it honestly if you goof and have 2 smores with your coffee(not that I just did lol) then log them, if you swing through mc donalds drive through log that too. Itll help you just get an idea of what times of day are trouble zones for you ( I cave to my sweet tooth during the mid afternoon as Im exhausted and at night on the way to or home from school). Having that insight can help you make necessary adjustments in habits and give you a better idea of if you should increase or decrease calories and/or activity
    I am in the same boat. My DD just turned 2 and is still nursing nights, evenings and weekends. We cosleep. Pretty much any time I'm with her she wants to nurse. I've been trying to lose weight since december last yr with little luck. I exercise (though lax right now), I ran 5Ks, I eat right (mostly) but I am having the hardest time with losing weight and also inches. I would be happy if inches dropped but that's not happening either. I have decided to take it easy for now. I plan to start a new exercise regimen soon but to be honest, I lack the motivation given the lack of progress I got from consistent exercise and eating right for 4 months. So discouraged. You're not alone!!
  • lildee4567
    lildee4567 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Im having the same problem. My baby boy is 5 weeks today my first is 22 months. I ebf and I dont seem to be losting anything. I go to the gym and I roller skate once a week. I try to eat well but when i dont she the scale move I get upset. I even have a personal trainer. I dont want to give up but what am i doing wrong. As much as I feed and pump i should be a stick right now.
  • Natkamny
    Natkamny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OMG I'm so happy i found this discussion. I have a 2,5 month old daughter, during pregnancy I gained 30 pounds. I lost 20 lb within first 2 weeks but those last 10 lb are so stubborn. I try to it 1600 cal plus 500 ( i exclusevely BF). I don't work out yet but I plan to do it in a couple more weeks when my DD is a little older. Probabily that's why I can't lose those pounds. I will add you ladies to my friends for support and motivation (if you don't mind).
  • Btrfly2541
    Options

Sounds like your not eating enough calories actually. Go into tools up at the top and under that there is a BMR calculator. That will tell you the bare minimum number of calories your body needs to function if you were in a coma. Then you need to add 500 for exclusively breastfeeding, and add on any exercise you do. You do not have to eat back your exercise calories, but no one should eat under their BMR ( I am 5'5, age 22, and 173lbs my BMR is 1596 cals plus 500 for Breastfeeding) and no breastfeeding mommy should eat under 1700-1800 as it can mess with the nutrient contents of your milk.

I did the tool and it said my resting BMR is 1358, plus 500 for BF would give me 1858. This would explain why it took me almost a month to lose 1.5 pounds-- I was only about 150 calories under BMR so it would take 23 days to lose one pound!
  • Btrfly2541
    Options
    OMG I'm so happy i found this discussion. I have a 2,5 month old daughter, during pregnancy I gained 30 pounds. I lost 20 lb within first 2 weeks but those last 10 lb are so stubborn. I try to it 1600 cal plus 500 ( i exclusevely BF). I don't work out yet but I plan to do it in a couple more weeks when my DD is a little older. Probabily that's why I can't lose those pounds. I will add you ladies to my friends for support and motivation (if you don't mind).
    Hi! I sent a friend request-- the more support the better!! Good luck and congrats-- cute baby!!
  • Luunila
    Options
    Yay! More friends in the same boat! I'm really hoping to have good news to report after my dd turns 3 months.
  • muneca84
    muneca84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im have a 5 month old. Full time working so i pump about 3 times while i work and breastfeed when i am with her. I also have a 3 year and she keeps me busy aswell. I try to work out atleast everyday (30 day shred) yoga, and house work, eat pretty healthy, drink lots of water and i still cant lose weight. Ive gained 5lbs after I lost all my baby weight 3 months after birth.

Could it be my calories? my milk supply stays the same never more never less. Should I lower my calorie intake?!

Im 5'2
    CW: 148-150
    GW: 130-125

Add me!
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have been having some issues losing weight after this second pregnancy. I lost 27lbs after my first, and its been 6 months after my second and I couldn't get down.

I finally found a post that changed my life! I dropped 2lbs in the first week of trying it out!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This will help you find out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and help you figure out what calories you need to be eating for YOUR body. Then, don't forget to add the breastfeeding calories! (700 tandem, 500 full-on nursing, 300 for 6+mo)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I guess this is more common than I thought!! My son is 4 and a half....I gained 70 pounds with him [135 starting weight] and was down 75 lbs by the time he was 9 months old... Then I got pregnant this past September [at 130 lbs] and was up to 145 when we lost the baby :( I gained another 5 after that (depression eating I guess)

...and then got pregnant again in February. I only gained 50 lbs this time (still ended up at the same high weight) and lost 30 right away (within the first 2 weeks) and then basically nothing since. I actually GAINED back 6 lbs...so I started using MFP at 176 lbs, I'm down to 179 but it's been over a month :-/ I'm getting discouraged, my daughter is 3 months old and I'm still almost 40 lbs over my goal weight (and even 20 lbs over my PP weight).

I try to get 1900 calories a day because I'm EBF and I'm TRYING not to eat junk. She's super sensitive to chocolate in my diet so that helps. Glad to help support anyone else who's dealing with this!!!
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I gained while EBF'ing my son as well. I gained 15 lbs during my pregnancy (I was at 185 when I got pregnant), was down to 175 within 2 weeks of delivery and then proceeded to gain 24 lbs over the next 6 months.

I started working out and watching what I ate around 2 months postpartum, only to get a plugged duct and a major supply hit as a result. I got scared and took that as an excuse to be lazy, which is how I gained so fast.

I delayed starting solids so my son is just now, for the past 4-5 weeks, really getting any food that isn't breast milk. Now that I'm not as worried about my supply, I can work out hard and play around with my calorie intake to find out what works best. I was at 1500 calories with 4-5 days of 60-90 min workouts and now I've bumped it up to 1700 (with no noticeable impact on my milk supply and 14 lbs gone!). It does take a little extra calculating and trial/error when nursing but it can be done!

ETA: I still think I should increase my intake (and cut down on a lot of the processed stuff I'm eating for convenience) but it's a work in progress!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Is this thread still active? I'm at an utter loss....
    With my son, I gained 70 lbs during pregnancy, and lost 75 by his first birthday doing NOTHING but EBFing. With my Daughter, I gained 50 pounds but I was 20 lbs heavier when I got pregnant with her than I was with my son. I lost 30 lbs immediately after giving birth....now my daughter will be a year old next month and I weigh 10 pounds MORE than I did when I left the hospital with her!! I don't know what else to do, NOTHING is making a difference and I feel like I"m ravenous all the time... I crave junk 10x worse than I did while I was pregnant...
  • nakiambi
    nakiambi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering this too, I lost all but 10lbs of the baby weight within 3 weeks of my daughters birth and its creeping back on now. She's almost 2 months now, I was also craving the junk and managed to cut that out a couple weeks ago and now I exercise 4-5x a week with fairly intense workouts, but its still slowly creeping on. I think I've managed to slow it down but its still a major bummer! I'm going to try to play with my calorie and macro intake to see of that helps. Right now I'm at 1800 (I'm EBF). Maybe I should go down to 1600? This is insane since my mom swore up and down throughout my pregnancy that I would have no problem loosing the weight while breast feeding. I'd love to hear if anyone had any success with this!
  • fightlikeagirl182
    fightlikeagirl182 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I gained about 45 lbs during pregnancy and another 10 after birth. Breastfeeding was a huge struggle for me, but baby has been 95% EBF. I had supply issues and just flat out didn't know what I was doing. I was taking Fenugreek (Mother's Milk Tea, etc.) which was causing me to be super hungry and put on more weight and I didn't know it. I also was so afraid to cut calories or exercise too hard because I was afraid of it affecting my supply. I didn't start losing the weight until baby was about 8 months old and eating solid foods more regularly. Then I wasn't so stressed about my milk going away and I was able to focus on eating and exercising more. Also notable, I got my first period at around 8 months. I think that the hormonal reset that probable occurred at that point had a lot to do with my personal weight loss (and anxiety issues.)