Stage 4

Options

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm starting soon - can't quite decide about whether to have a week off or not. I'll probably just end up taking a few days like I did last time. Wanted to poke my nose in here now though, and see what's going on!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Second 4A today, those 2 min planks are kicking my a**. I can do it once, but the 2nd and 3rd are around 90 secs with a mini break, and i shake like a leaf the whole time!!

I'm stuck at 12kg dumbells on the step ups, one point row, and the static lunge, mainly because i can barely hang on to them and am worried about dropping them and breaking a floor tile!! I suppose i should stay there until my grip strength improves.

Hope to do the 2nd 4B on sat, but then i'm out of action for a week, with night shifts, a few days away, then shifts again so a non-scheduled week off. Oh well.

How's everyone else getting on? Anyone else find 4B ridiculously long?
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    OK, I couldn't resist - just done 4A. Didn't realise it would be EXACTLY the same as stage 2 - apart from those 2-minute planks which are hideous! I did two for the full time, but when doing them at home on your own they are not only dastardly difficult, but also deeply boring. I think I would do better if I was in competition with someone.

I'm also rubbish at the one-point row; my back leg doesn't come up high enough and my balance is dreadful. Happily though, in some things I was significantly stronger than at the end of stage 2 - something's working!
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well I'm here ladies :happy: done my first workout A . Decided to do 3 sets and started with my finishing weight from stage 2. Think I could definitely up the weight for next time! Although really stuggling to hit 120s only managed two 90s and completely collapsed on the 3rd at 60s I was shaking so much. So need to build on those me thinks :tongue:
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Did workout B this evening. 120 SECONDS OF PRONE COBRA X 3??? That was pure torture for me. I managed 120, 120 but then only 90 for the 3rd attempt. Had to leave the HIIT for tomorrow - completely done in! I am glad to be back to proper lifting though - I wasn't a big fan of stage 3.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Did workout B this evening. 120 SECONDS OF PRONE COBRA X 3??? That was pure torture for me. I managed 120, 120 but then only 90 for the 3rd attempt. Had to leave the HIIT for tomorrow - completely done in! I am glad to be back to proper lifting though - I wasn't a big fan of stage 3.

You make me laugh, we are TOTAL opposites! I always new my back was stronger than my front, which is why my abs suck and my glutes are freakishly strong. The prone cobras are fine, although my arms ache holding them up so long! Planks damn near kill me.

And i did the HIIT yesterday and lifted today, opposite of you! I preferred stage 3... I think that's because there's a lot of lunge/step-up moves in stage 2/4 which i don't enjoy, but they really do work so I shall endure!

1 full week off for me now, at the halfway point of this stage. Night shifts, then weekend away then back late before day shifts...Not a single spare hour at home to workout until next sunday. But hopefully some swimming and a bit of diving so I'll keep it under control.

Keep going ladies.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    1 full week off for me now, at the halfway point of this stage. Night shifts, then weekend away then back late before day shifts...Not a single spare hour at home to workout until next sunday. But hopefully some swimming and a bit of diving so I'll keep it under control.

Keep going ladies.

You DO sound busy Jen. Hope the week goes quickly and the weekend is fab!
  • lizlee8
    Options
    Well done maggie for getting the 120s cobras! I can only manage 60s!!! :noway: feeling the cubans today though, shoulders really pinching :tongue: time to up the game in tomorrows 2nd workout A and throw in an extra interval session too just for luck lol
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started stage 4 this week. I def find stage 2 and 4 harder than 1 and 3. Those 120 sec planks kill me! I had to drop to my knees for a few seconds AND get off the ball. Lets see how I do on the 120 sec cobras. Looking forward to workout B today!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I could only be be bothered to do 2 sets of my last workouts (i.e. A & B). Does that make me a bad person?!

Actually, it's about finding the time. They are pretty long if you do everything, aren't they? I don't usually get home until 6.30, and by the time I've said hello to the cat etc and worked out, there almost isn't time left to eat!
  • lizlee8
    Options
    Welcome to stage 4 Steph - definitley struggling with the 120s planks too and as for the cobras for me 60s is a challange :tongue:
    Maggie - I don't think it makes you a bad person, it does say 2/3 sets afterall. I try to cut my rest periods to cut time is that bad???
    Happy lifting :bigsmile:
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    I could only be be bothered to do 2 sets of my last workouts (i.e. A & B). Does that make me a bad person?!

Actually, it's about finding the time. They are pretty long if you do everything, aren't they? I don't usually get home until 6.30, and by the time I've said hello to the cat etc and worked out, there almost isn't time left to eat!

A bad person?! I think it just means you have a life, we're all getting fed up with these over-long workouts now. Have you overtaken me yet? I'll be on the 3rd 4A tomorrow i think, if i sleep ok tonight. Only got 3 hours last night due to an overexcited cat after we got back from 3 days away.... he ended up outside while i fumed!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

A bad person?! I think it just means you have a life, we're all getting fed up with these over-long workouts now. Have you overtaken me yet? I'll be on the 3rd 4A tomorrow i think, if i sleep ok tonight. Only got 3 hours last night due to an overexcited cat after we got back from 3 days away.... he ended up outside while i fumed!

Welcome back Jen!

I know, I'm almost looking forward to doing Stronglifts 5x5 (have more or less decided that that's what comes next).

We are in exactly the same place now - I'm just about to force myself to go and do my 3rd 4A right now. I say force myself because I'm feeling quite sluggish; the UK weather has been amazing for the last few days, but it really slows me down.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 4 today - three sets of everything, and I am tired! Good kind of tired though.

The planks were crazy. I did 120s, 115s, 87s (short rest) and finished with another 30s. I did 35 & 40 lb horizontal chops in between.

I really felt those planks going right into my lower back towards the end of each set so I'll see how I feel tomorrow. If my lower back bothers me, I may need to split it out into shorter times, as the book suggests.

Anyone breaking the planks up? How are you splitting up the 120s?
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Sally, the planks are notorious! I just did my 3rd 4A and only did 2 sets as i wasn't feeling too hot. 120 secs for the 1st one, then 90 for the 2nd! I always do that, i can manage 1 or 2, but the last one is a lot less. If i manage 120 for the 2nd one I'll sometimes drop my knees for a sec, or stick my bum in the air for a sec to release my lower back. At least we're doing it!

I was a bit annoyed with myself today for only doing 2 sets, but I did 3 sets of the FS/PP, and managed 20kg for 2 sets of them (back to 18 for the 3rd set), which is fab as i progress REALLY slowly with this one.

I'm being to be restricted by my equipment (home), for the DB work, step ups, 1 point row, reverse lunge I'm up to 12kg DBs, but i think i could go more. I have some cheapy ones with screw on plates, and i don't feel i they could take much more than a 5kg plate on each end (12kg total each one). I don't want to swich to a barbell as I think it's important to improve grip strength. If only I had a decent gym to go to....

The only gyms in Bahrain with free weights/barbells etc are men only! The ladies ones are cardio-city, 100s of machines and few barbie weights. May have to upgrade my equipment and get some kind of power cage made.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I'm being to be restricted by my equipment (home), for the DB work, step ups, 1 point row, reverse lunge I'm up to 12kg DBs, but i think i could go more. I have some cheapy ones with screw on plates, and i don't feel i they could take much more than a 5kg plate on each end (12kg total each one). I don't want to swich to a barbell as I think it's important to improve grip strength. If only I had a decent gym to go to....

The only gyms in Bahrain with free weights/barbells etc are men only! The ladies ones are cardio-city, 100s of machines and few barbie weights. May have to upgrade my equipment and get some kind of power cage made.

I'm surprised to hear about your DBs Jen; mine are screw on plates too, but will easily take more than that. Is there nothing else available in the Bahrain shops? Is there not an ebay equivalent? And are you thinking of a power cage for your barbell work? If so, you could also consider squat stands - much cheaper, easier to move away, and so far I'm really pleased with mine.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! LOL

Hiya Ladies!!! After another un-planned break I FINALLY finished Stage 3 and moved onto 4!!! YIPPPEEEE - I'm really not a fan of 3... LOVE 4!!!

I hear ya about the length of the workouts - I cut my rest to 1 min (I know we're not supposed to)... but really - I just don't have 1&1/2-2 hours to spend at the gym 3x a week!! So - now I'm closer to 1 hour... much more doable!

Re: Sore back from the planks - I find going into "child's pose" immediately after the plank really helps a lot...

@ MissMaggie: I noticed a HUGE improvement from 2-4 too... I was upping weight like crazy from where I left off in Stage 2! I'm thinking it was the BWM that made the big difference....
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Hi EC, glad you're catching up! Yeah I too end up in child's pose after the planks, shaking like a leaf :ohwell:

Maggie, I'm thinking of upgrading my equipment anyway, I did find a much better barbell that can go up to 100kg and will take my weights. Some of them have different diameter holes in the middle apparently. And i'll get a couple of big 15kg plates to bring the bar up to a good deadlift height. I'd love to get some squat stands, not sure about shipping to here, would possibly bankrupt me, but i'm keeping my eyes open here. I have the stands on my weight bench to start me off at the right height, but I'm worried about when i squat much heavier, having the 'catcher bars' would be safer.

I'm finding the DOMS persists in this stage, it's not fading as i go thru, it's there every time! Usually it's just at the start of the stage. I'll dig out the tennis balls and give my muscles a good roll. Definitely can't lift more often than every 3 days, but i'm ok with that!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Well hope you get what you need soon Jen. It must be so frustrating that you are ready to lift heavier but don't have the option.

I'm still DOMS-free, to my amazement. And I am definitely lifting as heavy as I can go, so I don't know what it's all about.

This evening I managed to do 3 sets of 4B, but will have to come back and do the core work and interval training tomorrow.

Confession time; I'm getting really quite bored in Stage 4. I don't know if it is just Stage 4, or whether I'm losing the will with the whole programme. It isn't like me to give up, and I don't think it will happen, but I'm just not getting a buzz from it right now. I think the time it takes is a big part of it. I need some new inspiration.
  • Jenlwb
    Options

Confession time; I'm getting really quite bored in Stage 4. I don't know if it is just Stage 4, or whether I'm losing the will with the whole programme. It isn't like me to give up, and I don't think it will happen, but I'm just not getting a buzz from it right now. I think the time it takes is a big part of it. I need some new inspiration.

Me too. SL5x5 is looking tempting, but there's no single leg stuff in there. I don't enjoy the single leg stuff (esp step ups), but it works. And the ab stuff like planks and prone JKs are good too but i guess anyone can add them.

Do your squat stands have catcher bars lower down for squatting?