Replies

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I guess we were once like them too lol
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that many are misinformed and trusting of the advise that is given by the "mainstream". When I started yacking about it, I shared it with love and had patience with those that weren't ready to receive it. Many have come around, so I would say share the information in your feed about how good you are feeling and talk about your progress, take progress pics and continue to drop tidbits of scientific nfo you have learned. People will get curious and ask questions, more questions, the same questions...just keep answering. Ok ok ok sometimes I would post little rants about not fueling the body, and I'm sure I rubbed some the wrong way, but there were those that upped because of some of the ranting on the "soapbox"...lol.

You are so right Lucia and I so admire you for always being so patient! I remember thinking the same way, and Im so glad I
    "saw the light", LOL. Still battling so much of that mentally. Just gotta keep pressing on, and hope others will see our example, and that this is working!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The regular boards suck. They make me want to do this when I see the "Hey congrats on eating 500 calories and your awesome pregnancy hormones!"

20101207-p3gh86njgaqd5pegds6kn95e33.gif
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    The regular boards suck. They make me want to do this when I see the "Hey congrats on eating 500 calories and your awesome pregnancy hormones!"

20101207-p3gh86njgaqd5pegds6kn95e33.gif

As kiki says: Fingers of fury!!!!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Heh a bit graphic but thats how I feel on the inside. I dont try and push anyone but I do drop tidbits of info in hopes they may see the light.

This is a TOUGH road to go down, but better overall for the longevity of your health.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I see the am I eating enough/help I'm in a plateau threads all the time. I used to post long explanations of why eating more is the answer. Not anymore. Now I word things simply with a reference to this group. If they want the answer, it's here. You want change badly enough to do what it takes to get it? Go do what we did. Read, ask, learn.
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Hi..I .I did a thread promoting EM2WL ...The responses reached 500 mfp locks it and starts a part 2. I did the thread outside the EM2WL group. I wanted to reach those who perhaps knew nothing about it. I felt like a baby goldfish among shark. I answer what seemed like a gazillion questions both on the thread in my mail. Some were very open others were confused and some said they refused to eat more than 1200 calories. I definently did not agree with them but I didn't entertain them either... Others tore them to pieces. I vowed not to do that..I felt bad for them wanting 1200 calories but I spent my time and energy with those who were interested.... I simply layed the foundation . Will they build upon it? Some will and some want. But like Lucia expressed you have to be patient with them because no don't always mean never. When they hit a plateau or something most if them will come back wanting know more if they were treated with respect. Im not saying you want get angry. But sometimes in anger it best not to say anything. I try an be carefull about what are how I say something on here because behind these sites you really don't know what these people go through.....
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I think this is the most important thing to remember. Also- you never know who's reading the threads in our group here. Perhaps someone who is scared but hopeful and just needs some care to come around.

A mommie who's terrified of gaining weight and not being there to see her babies grow up.
    A daddy who misses playing with his kids and feels guilty for 'letting himself go'.
    A college student who's far away from home, alone and confused with all the BS 'diet and health' ideas that are tossed around campuses.

It's not easy- but we have to try and be kind because being angry doesn't get us anywhere or help nearly as many people. I have to remind myself this often lol
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I think this is the most important thing to remember. Also- you never know who's reading the threads in our group here. Perhaps someone who is scared but hopeful and just needs some care to come around.

A mommie who's terrified of gaining weight and not being there to see her babies grow up.
    A daddy who misses playing with his kids and feels guilty for 'letting himself go'.
    A college student who's far away from home, alone and confused with all the BS 'diet and health' ideas that are tossed around campuses.

It's not easy- but we have to try and be kind because being angry doesn't get us anywhere or help nearly as many people. I have to remind myself this often lol

Exactly, I purposed in my heart that these boards would always remain respectful and welcoming. I don't have time to comment as frequently but I try to read most of it because I rather lock a board and tell you why I'm locking it if it is shifting in a negative direction. There will always be naysayers, but patience is the key. Even if a disgruntled newbie gets rude, don't get defensive they are just struggling, aren't ready to fully commit, and downright frustrated. If we respond negatively we do them a disservice. Say nothing at all and Kiki or I will respond...drop me a PM if need be, but let this group enviroment remain warm and fuzzy:flowerforyou:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I KNOW! I think that's what makes it frustrating. You don't want people going down a long frustrating road. I want success for everyone!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who is constantly looking for the right answer for me.... I go from 1200 calories to 2400 calories in a week of eating, I can't make up my mind which way is best.

I have read all of the TDEE-15% arguments that are stated here and they make COMPLETE sense to me.... but then I read the "MYTH of starvation modes" and talk to one of my best friends who is a doctor and they tell me it's not right to eat more....UGH

I lost weight quickly when I first started this weight loss journey, I was eating 1200 and very clean eating and usually most of my exercise calories back..... then I went into 2-3wks of no weight loss...started reading and found this EM2WL concept

I am lost most days.... I have a BodyMedia Fit that never leaves my arm... I see I am burning 2400 calories on a average day....but when I try to eat more, up to a 500 cal deficit I start gaining and it freaks me out...

I am short and overweight...at least 50lbs ... so scared to gain the minimal weight I have lost back..... terrified actually.....
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I am one of those people who is constantly looking for the right answer for me.... I go from 1200 calories to 2400 calories in a week of eating, I can't make up my mind which way is best.

I have read all of the TDEE-15% arguments that are stated here and they make COMPLETE sense to me.... but then I read the "MYTH of starvation modes" and talk to one of my best friends who is a doctor and they tell me it's not right to eat more....UGH

I lost weight quickly when I first started this weight loss journey, I was eating 1200 and very clean eating and usually most of my exercise calories back..... then I went into 2-3wks of no weight loss...started reading and found this EM2WL concept

I am lost most days.... I have a BodyMedia Fit that never leaves my arm... I see I am burning 2400 calories on a average day....but when I try to eat more, up to a 500 cal deficit I start gaining and it freaks me out...

I am short and overweight...at least 50lbs ... so scared to gain the minimal weight I have lost back..... terrified actually.....
    I'm just finishing my 3rd week and I totally feel your fear. I was TERRIFIED. BUT I had been hovering in the same 4 pounds for 2 years. That wasn't working either. You WILL gain at first. You just will...but you lose it again. It's just your body doing a happy dance that it's getting fuel. You have a BMF (as do I) and your not using it! It doesn't matter that it's on all the time if your ignoring the knowledge it's giving you! :-) You burn 2400 cals? You should be eating 1900 every single day. Still a 500 cal deficit...but now you will have the fuel to rev up your metabolism and keep muscle mass. After a week or two I'd wake up STARVING. My metabolism was coming back! Eat 1900. Hide the scale. HIDE. THE. SCALE. Take measurements or pics. I haven't weighed myself as to not freak myself out...but my measurements are about the same and that's going from 1800 to 2600! Big difference! :-)
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that many are misinformed and trusting of the advise that is given by the "mainstream". When I started yacking about it, I shared it with love and had patience with those that weren't ready to receive it. Many have come around, so I would say share the information in your feed about how good you are feeling and talk about your progress, take progress pics and continue to drop tidbits of scientific nfo you have learned. People will get curious and ask questions, more questions, the same questions...just keep answering. Ok ok ok sometimes I would post little rants about not fueling the body, and I'm sure I rubbed some the wrong way, but there were those that upped because of some of the ranting on the "soapbox"...lol.

^^This!

I had a fitness evaluation last month and found out my BMR is 1613 (considerably higher than what online calculators give for my age :love: ). I spent an hour with the fitness coach, told him I burn about 4,500 calories a week exercising, and guess what he told me? "Eat 1200-1600 calories a day." Using my new accurate BMR and a moderate activity setting (I'm probably either active or half way between the two) minus the 15% cut gives me 2125. Although I've seen minimal sustained scale weight loss, I feel so good about my body and my strength and stamina are amazing. If I'd just trusted the guy I gave $100 bucks, I'd be one of "those people." Thankfully, I did my own research and found Lucia!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi..I .I did a thread promoting EM2WL ...The responses reached 500 mfp locks it and starts a part 2. I did the thread outside the EM2WL group. I wanted to reach those who perhaps knew nothing about it. I felt like a baby goldfish among shark. I answer what seemed like a gazillion questions both on the thread in my mail. Some were very open others were confused and some said they refused to eat more than 1200 calories. I definently did not agree with them but I didn't entertain them either... Others tore them to pieces. I vowed not to do that..I felt bad for them wanting 1200 calories but I spent my time and energy with those who were interested.... I simply layed the foundation . Will they build upon it? Some will and some want. But like Lucia expressed you have to be patient with them because no don't always mean never. When they hit a plateau or something most if them will come back wanting know more if they were treated with respect. Im not saying you want get angry. But sometimes in anger it best not to say anything. I try an be carefull about what are how I say something on here because behind these sites you really don't know what these people go through.....

I did the same thing. The responses and new friends were overwhelming. It was even better when three weeks later I got a thank you letter from someone saying that had broken through a three month plateau with the advice in my thread.
  • christina_curlyred
    Options
    I'm so glad I found the EM2WL group early! I was eating 1200 cals a day for almost a month, saw this group, upped my cals 4 days ago and have already dropped .8 pounds. I had been going back and forth with the same 3 pounds for almost the whole month since joining MFP but now I'm below that threshhold and eating more! I feel great! My body feels like a calorie/fuel burning machine!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

^^^THIS While I am saddened to see people in my feed who choose to eat too little and struggle with their plateaus, I feel like I can continue to work on my own health. I have been very open about the fact that I'm losing weight while eating 2300 calories a day. I'm hoping that my weight loss will provide evidence for those who are ready to find a healthier alternative. I can never know what's going through the mind of someone on a different computer on the other side of the country. Perhaps seeing my progress will be the thing that will cause them to question trying to lose weight on low calorie living.
  • graysmom2005
    Options

Absolutely, and I hope you know I wasn't coming from a nasty place. Heck, I don't even know if THIS is going to work for me, but I just got sad seeing so much frustration. My tipping point was someone asking if they should add back the calories they threw up from the stomach flu. I can't stand the frustration, not the people. I WAS the people for over two years. I didn't mean anything negative. If it came across that way I APOLOGIZE!:blushing: