UK Bloke

Options
Hi ladies (and the sprinkling of other blokes).

I'm 43, 276lbs, around 6'. Been 'big' most of my adult life and have recently been diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I'm very insulin resistant hence the low-carb eating. I discovered I felt much better on LC well before I got diagnosed, and it certainly keeps my blood sugars in check. I managed to drastically reduce my numbers in the space of a week and I'm hovering around 4-5 mmol/L all day except first thing in the morning. This pleases my consultant and I but I still get horrific glucose spikes if I try to eat bread, pasta and such.

For exercise I've been Crossfitting 3 times a week for a bit less than a year and I recently discovered by wearing a HRM that I burn an average of 1000 calories during a session with an average HR of 139 and a max HR of 173.

I've tried every diet going, including a memorable phase on the Cambridge plan that stripped 4.5 stone off me in short order and took most of my muscle mass with it. Won't be doing that again! I've been eating what I thought was a reasonable amount of calories since I joined MFP to lose fat (I like to differentiate between weight and fat). It recommended 1860 calories and I was stuck around 275lbs for what seems like ages now.

Just recently I discovered this group and started looking more into what amounts I should be eating. I was horrified to learn that I've been eating about 550 calories less than my BMR every day! That surely goes some way to explaining the constant lethargy, brain fuzz, slow recovery from exercise and prolonged DOMS, I suppose!

Understanding the logic behind upping my calories, I worked out my numbers on Scooby's site to be BMR=2338, TDEE=3624, so cut=3080. That's a hell of a deficit from 1860 isn't it?

A few days on I'm a couple of pounds up, but I'm ignoring the scales until Monday now as that's my usual weigh-in. Crossfit has also taught me to ignore the scales anyway as a means of progress. A couple of days stuffing my face has left me feeling a bit more bloated but my jeans aren't any tighter so I'm not too concerned.

Anyway, that's me. Roll on the next few weeks when I start to see more body fat coming off, quicker recovery between exercising and even better performance in the gym!

:happy: Steve

Oh yeah, feel free to friend me if you're in this group!

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hey Welcome on board? Whats a bloke? Is that a fat joke? HAHAH just kidding

ANyways your numbers are similar to mine - I am at 3114 TDEE Cut. You just gotta roll with the bumps in the road for the first couple of weeks. It feels great feeding your body though.

We are here for support!
  • aStrongerSteve
    aStrongerSteve Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike! Bloke is just an English slang work for man. :smile:
  • aStrongerSteve
    Options
    ...and thank you. :smile:
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi there, just saying hi and good luck!

I am from the uk too, have sent you a request it is good to have some uk friends eating the same way and in the same time zone!! My dad has type 2 diabetis, hoping I will avoid it now, I have been emtwl 10 wks ish now : )
  • aStrongerSteve
    Options
    Hi Bec, nice to meet you, and thanks for the welcome. :smile: