Metabolism reset over 50

Options
elodea
elodea Posts: 19 Member
I have been reading about this concept of metabolism reset here, and also watched Kiki's video - which was great! But I'm wondering if there have been any differences noticed between doing a metabolism reset for say a 25-30 year old, and an older woman 40-50 plus? Does it take longer? Is it as effective? Just knowing how metabolism slows down as we age - I'm curious what to expect being 50. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations based on say reading the experiences of younger women. Thanks!

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    To be honest I do not believe that it has anything to do with age, but more-so how long you have been at a VLCD diet. if you have been eating consistently under your BMR for years, it can take longer to get the reset.

With that said, regardless of age it is different for everyone. Just go in with the expectations that it may take 6-10 weeks. if it happens faster it willbe a nice surprise :)
  • elodea
    Options
    What if you've not been eating a VLCD but just starting to reduce your caloric intake to the TDEE-15%?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    What if you've not been eating a VLCD but just starting to reduce your caloric intake to the TDEE-15%?

Then I think you will be ok. Like I said, everyone responds differently. Your body will adjust to the new calories very quickly and it will love you for it...I personally LOVE having energy, not being crank, and still losing weight :)

How far off your TDEE -15% haven you been eating?
  • elodea
    Options
    My TDEE-15% is 1827 calories. When I started on MFP about a month ago I was eating 1700 calories. The MFP calculator wanted to set it lower but there was no way I could survive on 1400-1200. Also, I knew from previous weight loss classes not to go below 1200 no matter what. Before I began tracking I imagine was easily eating 3000 calories a day if I'm honest with myself - much of this out of boredom in the evening. So I've been at 1700, and when I exercise I was eating back my calories. Now that I've discovered this philosophy it seems I can eat a little more. I really haven't lost any scale weight since I started about a month ago. I haven't checked my measurements yet since I started though. I plan on doing that at the end of the month. Thoughts?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    My TDEE-15% is 1827 calories. When I started on MFP about a month ago I was eating 1700 calories. The MFP calculator wanted to set it lower but there was no way I could survive on 1400-1200. Also, I knew from previous weight loss classes not to go below 1200 no matter what. Before I began tracking I imagine was easily eating 3000 calories a day if I'm honest with myself - much of this out of boredom in the evening. So I've been at 1700, and when I exercise I was eating back my calories. Now that I've discovered this philosophy it seems I can eat a little more. I really haven't lost any scale weight since I started about a month ago. I haven't checked my measurements yet since I started though. I plan on doing that at the end of the month. Thoughts?

I think you are right on track. Definitely bump your calories up and hit your TDEE - 15% religiously. Then check your results in a couple of weeks.

Measurements are key. A lot of people get pretty wild fluctuations in weight (water) for the first 4-6 weeks of doing this change (however you may not since you were not eating at VLCD)

however your measurements do not lie. You may not lose weight immediately but your measurements can change for the better. If you look at my two progress pics, there is only 4-5lbs difference in them, but most people say it looks like 20 lol
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about this concept of metabolism reset here, and also watched Kiki's video - which was great! But I'm wondering if there have been any differences noticed between doing a metabolism reset for say a 25-30 year old, and an older woman 40-50 plus? Does it take longer? Is it as effective? Just knowing how metabolism slows down as we age - I'm curious what to expect being 50. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations based on say reading the experiences of younger women. Thanks!

I'm 47 and it's working for me. I started slowly upping my calories on 4/19/12 and on my birthday 5/3/12 I finally upped them to my cut value.

I have gained a few pounds, but I have lost inches and my clothes are getting looser. And......guys......this might be TMI, but I'm also peri-menopausal to boot and was having all kinds sypmtoms what I call the seven dwarfs of menopause (crankie,dopie,sweatie, piggie, weepie, bloatie, and sleepie.......:sad: ) But since I have been consistent with eating this way a lot of my symptoms have calmed way down!!!!!!:drinker:

Any who I know every one is different, but I feel this way is the best and believe me I've tried them all!!!!

Welcome and if you have any questions just give a shout out!!!
    Anita
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Eating healthy, and heartily promotes hormonal balance. Just saying ;)
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    the seven dwarfs of menopause (crankie,dopie,sweatie, piggie, weepie, bloatie, and sleepie.......

hahahah!! love that!
  • elodea
    Options
    That's encouraging to hear. Being perimenopausal myself. Since I've been exercising I HAVE found that I am sleeping much better than I have in a long time. Not tossing and turning as much. I just need to be patient guess.
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    the seven dwarfs of menopause (crankie,dopie,sweatie, piggie, weepie, bloatie, and sleepie.......

hahahah!! love that!

Ha! I love it too! I don't lol very often, but made me bahahaha...btw, I'm 43 and have a few of those dwarfs hanging around).
  • Kellysmom78
    Kellysmom78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ok....seriously think I need this. Don't understand concept, but weight is not coming off and if I do lose then if I eat big meals it comes right back . What is TDEE? How go I go about starting? Any info will be greatly appreciated! I'm 54 and have noooo harmones so will this work for me?
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Great question! I was wondering this myself. I'm 53 and also peri-menopausal. This is my first week of EMTWL and have seen a slight increase on the scale, but attribute it to initial adjustment.
  • elodea
    Options
    Hi! TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. You should definitely read the posts at the beginning of this group to understand how it works. They'll be much clearer than I could bee. I am still in the beginning of this process so trying to keep the faith even though the scale doesn't really move. I know I should not even LOOK at the scale - old habits...I am hoping when I measure myself at the end of the month that I'll finally see some movement. My jeans do feel slightly loser so fingers crossed. Regardless of the scale, this way of looking at weight loss really makes a lot of sense to me scientifically. Good luck!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,

Yes, I've worked with ladies and gents of all ages that have had success with a metabolism reset. :wink:

I've seen a woman that was over 50, hypothyroid, post menopausal, and seemingly no hope, turn her entire future around. She was so gung ho about getting it right, she ate close to 3000 cals :noway: , lifted heavy, and did NO cardio for months, while patiently waiting for her body to go through the necessary healing.

Because of her diligence and patience, she ended up with a body that (although in her opinion is still progressing) most women of ANY age (including myself!) would KILL for. :love:

Age really is not a factor. As a matter of fact, studies are beginning to show more and more, that it's not necessarily the "age" that is causing things like lowered BMR, bone deterioration, muscle atrophy, etc. that we've always attributed to being "age related". But what they are instead finding is that most "age related" issues are the exact same symptoms of inactivity, so it's leading to more of a conclusion that it is more likely the *inactivity* of our lives as we age, rather than the age itself.

It's been shown that people in their 70s & 80s can achieve the vigor and strength of people 30yrs younger.

Sooo...all that to say... Go for it! :drinker:

~Kiki
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies and guy! I needed to see this post. I was beginning to think I was the only one here over a certain age. 53 and have been suffering the slings and arrows of hormone deficiency for a few years now. I was thinking that maybe I could not reset because of age. Glad to know otherwise.

21prvbs, I would be interested to know how long the reset took, did your client lift during the reset, and how long did it take for her to lose, how much did she have to lose? I know this is a lot of nosy questions but I ask as I have about 45ish lbs to lose and of course I am impatient!!! :devil: Aren't we all! LOL I promise to try and be more patient but it would be nice to know what I am in for.