Arthritis sufferers (psoriatic, R.A., osteo, etc)

Options
dixiech1ck
dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
Hi - I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that suffers from arthritis and what kind of methods you use to cope with pain to get you through the bad days. I've been trying to do some research to see about changing up my diet in order to help improve my symptoms, especially the joint pain. But, I have a hard time with fatigue, especially after doing something like an hour jog (I feel like I've been up for 24 hours and need to sleep and will take a 2-3 hr nap so I miss most of the day).

What works for you? What about supplements, specific exercise, etc.?

Replies

• Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis and am in the same boat as you with the fatigue. Workouts are going really well but they wipe me out and I don't seem to get much else done! I'm thinking I have to take a few days off of workouts to get everything else caught up.

I've also started running low grade fevers after working out due to the inflammation. That gives me the chills and all I want to do is cuddle up with my heating pad and sleep. I'm waiting to get in to the rhuematologist to have a DMARD added to the NSAID. I'm hoping that will help with my energy level post workout.
  • MinniApple17
    Options
    Hello! I suffer from Spinal and Hip Arthritis and have just begun adjusting to the pain (first hospitalization, diagnosis, and flareup this Oct.) I use ibuprofen daily although I am worried about long term consequences. I take very hot baths daily to help relax my muscles and I also sleep with a heating pad almost every night. I am seeing a physical therapists who encourages me to keep on working out but I find that even after a moderate workout, the inflammation increases significantly leading to issues in walking.

Is there any physical activity you have tried that does not lead to pain?
  • Roni_M
    Options
    I've heard good things about yoga and of course there is swimming. I use a treadmill which I find much easier on the joints then walking outside. Alot of people recommend an exercise bike but I have sacroillitis/spondylitis with the PsA...so I find this really hard on those joints. Same with the elliptical machines. The treadmill is not "pain free" for me but it's tolerable.

I think it's all going to be trial and error until you find something you're comfortable with. If you have been diagnosed with an inflammatory arthritis you are going to need to avoid the high impact stuff which can damage inflamed joints.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I take several short walks every day,3 or 4 ,15 minute walks. If I try for a long walk, I just cause myself pain, so I opt for several short ones.Stretching helps, even tho while I do them they can be uncomfortable.Stretching, then moist heat,that's pretty good.
  • Roni_M
    Options
    I take several short walks every day,3 or 4 ,15 minute walks. If I try for a long walk, I just cause myself pain, so I opt for several short ones.Stretching helps, even tho while I do them they can be uncomfortable.Stretching, then moist heat,that's pretty good.

Agree 100%! I've been outside walking and had the hip decide it was done...by the time I made it home I was in agony and was sick on the side of the road!! Keep your walks shorter or do multiple laps around your neighborhood. This is what prompted me to start using a treadmill at home.
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I figure any extra movement I do during the day counts. I have osteoarthritis in my knees and asthma. That's a great combination to have to exercise. I hurt and can't breathe but am suppose to work out! Go figure!!! I've been on steriods for 35 years so it was bound to happen. I currently walk the mall. That way if I get winded or sore I can sit and rest. I know getting this weight off will help. It will be a long process but I'm determined. Every little thing extra you do each day counts.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis bad in my knees so swimming works well for me or walking. I was also told to ice my knees after working out along with lots of stretching.

I wasn't able to work out for months but now I am happy to say I'm able to use the elliptical again! Only 20 mins at a time but this coming from someone who could barely walk :) YAY!!
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have got palindromic arthritis (not sure if that's how it's spel) it means that the arthritis can affect any/different joints each day. I am taking plaqunil medication and for bad flare ups I take codein. The best exercise I find helps is swimming as it is low intensity exercise!
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I suffer from Arthritis and have been working out for about six months now. I have found that any impact workout, such as running, is just too painful.
    I keep getting bad fatigue and feeling very cold for the next 24 hours or so after a “good” workout. I thought it was more to do with my eating than my arthritis. I only thought the pain was the Arthritis.
    I’m really glad I have found this post!
  • Roni_M
    Options
    It's not uncommon with some types of inflammatory arthritis to run a low grade fever when your joints are acting up. Generally mine will be 99 - 101 when the arthritis is bad. You should keep track of it if you are finding the same thing. My doctor ran blood tests when I mentioned it and my ESR (inflammation test) was really high. He then increase my NSAID dosage which helped somewhat. Good luck on your journey!
  • jusme1063
    jusme1063 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my spine and legs along with MS and the daily pain is horrible! I've found that doing my water aerobics have helped more than anything. Hope this helps.
  • rigdonia
    rigdonia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had Lupus for 12 years and RA for about 4 years. Taking plaquenil, mtx, humira, advil. Pain varies in location and severity on a daily basis. Fatigue as well.

I think the take away is to be flexible and loving to yourself. Don't get into the mindset, for example, that you have to run every day. The only thing that is every day with chronic illness is limitation, to be blunt. So you have to be forgiving and flexible. I know I can not "work out" every day. For certain, I can't do a vigorous daily workout. I take an hour long water class once or twice a week. I really couldn't do this every day, and frankly, can't even count on being able to do it on the gym's schedule, which means I miss it sometimes. I am helped with the fatigue because the class is in the evening, so I can just go home and rest. On days I can't make it to the gym, I just aim to move. Just do what you can. Some days walking is good, some days I can't do it. I love to do yoga, but that hurts sometimes, too. So you just have to play it by ear. I have some weights and a ball at home, sometimes "exercising" for me is just stretching and warming up, with some household chores thrown in. I have just rededicated myself to losing some weight and have lost almost 4 pounds this week. All I did so far was work out twice and eat within my goals, set by the website.

The most important things to remember are: 1. just keep moving and BE GENTLE to yourself 2 Don't eat over your caloric goals*. 3 You really will have less pain with a significant weight loss. Just aim for 10-20 pounds and see. Don't worry about that bathing suit, or the wedding, or overly focus on your final goal weight. "Just keep swimming"!

*I think it's pretty much general knowledge that eating too far under can be a problem, as well. In all things seek balance.
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    So glad to find this group, hi all :flowerforyou:
    I have Erosive osteoarthritis in my hands (thanks to 30 yrs of typing/bookkeeping) this means I am losing the joints in my fingers, they are "turning to dust and fusing in place" (doctors explanation) and arthritis in my knees :grumble:
    Lying in bed the other morning wondering why I could barely move, it dawned on me why I was in pain...there are moments where it takes the light bulb a long time to switch on :laugh: I have been doing 30DS which includes jumping jacks...here I was throwing myself these as a part of the routine only to be in so much pain throughout the day *sigh* so as of tomorrow I am modifying the routine to be kinder to my knees. I would love to go swimming but it is so darn cold here at the moment, I am definitely going to look into yoga though as it is getting very difficult to hold hand weights also.
    My doctor has been telling me for 5 years to change jobs last week he gave me the ultimatum, get out of bookkeeping or lose the use of my hands forever...I am an avid crafter/sewer/teddy bear maker and it scared the crap outta me...so I am now wondering what a 50 years young gal does for income after 30 years of bookkeeping.... :ohwell:
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees, feet and neck. Pretty sure I have it other places too. Makes to hard to exercise but it is worse if I don't.
  • ColleenPosley
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in my lumbar area. At best, I have stiffness from my ribs to my thighs. At worst, I have sciatic pain from my left shoulder clear down to the toes on my left foot.

One of my best methods for pain management, when I can't take medications for whatever reason, is a visualization. I quickly and repeatedly ball my fists over and over and take a couple slow deep breaths. As I do, I imagine the pain being crumpled up into my fists like little bits of paper. When I think I've got it under control - that I've got all the pain balled up in my hands - I shake my hands out and "throw the pain away." This seems to work pretty well but it took a lot of practice to get it right.

I am absolutely not recommending visualization completely replace medications - because that's ludicrous. I'm suggesting a quick relaxation technique that works for me most of the time. I also HIGHLY recommend anti-inflammitory medications. Pain killers are ok, but I've found that if I can just get the swelling down, I don't NEED the heavy drugs (which always make me feel stupid anyway...bleah).
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis bad in my knees so swimming works well for me or walking. I was also told to ice my knees after working out along with lots of stretching.

I wasn't able to work out for months but now I am happy to say I'm able to use the elliptical again! Only 20 mins at a time but this coming from someone who could barely walk :) YAY!!

I feel like I am in the same boat. Back in March was out running now I down to just swimming. So badly want to be back walking and then to running again.Got cortisone shot back in the beginning of this month and still in a lot pain. The shots have helped in the past now just a waste. Also on celebrex daily, What am I doing wrong this bites. I swim 5 days week cause I cant don't much else
  • womanathewell
    womanathewell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have inflamation with high ck enzemes I feel so much better with warm pool exercises so far no flare ups and Ive been trying to eat lots of foods that fight inflamation.When storms come my flare ups are the pits and I usually run a temp ,and have flu like symtomns which puts my heating pad my must prized possecession. Ive not had to take any pain meds or use my heating pad in several days and so far no flu like symtomns Ive even been able to do a little house work and my laundry for the first time in years.
  • womanathewell
    womanathewell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add I only do my exercise in a very warm pool or it hinders instead of helps.The temp of water varies between 88+90.