Postive Emotional/Mental Changes

Options
TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
Just wondering if any of you are experiencing any emotional/mental benefits from EM2WL? I have found that I'm less emotional/sensitive, feel FAR more positive and optimistic, my thoughts are more ordered and sharp and I have a zest for life that I didn't have previously. I feel like I can juggle my life better and accomplish more. I'm also able to "give more" to the people in my life who have needs because, finally, I'm taking care of my needs first, so I don't feel resentful or obligated. My self esteem has changed HUGELY (especially since I started lifting!)...it's almost like I find myself to be a tough girl now, and I sort of like it. LOL I even stood up to someone in a firm (not mean) manner who was attempting to bully me and intimidate me - I NEVER would have done that in the past! Anyone else want to weigh in on this? I LOVE reading ya'll's stories - it gives me so much motivation and encouragement. <3

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have tons of energy. For the past year I've been blaming my thyroid, but it turns out I just wasn't eating enough...
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    I have tons of energy. For the past year I've been blaming my thyroid, but it turns out I just wasn't eating enough...

That is so funny! Only because I, too, thought my Thyroid was "bad" (my mom has low thyroid, just like her mom and my sister has hashimoto's disease, as did my aunt, so it DOES run in the family). I found that eating the proper calories took those fears away, so I'm totally in the same boat as you! : )
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing amount of energy right now...which is pretty great considering I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old!

I have noticed I am also happier and more positive.
  • ashley67203
    ashley67203 Posts: 95
    Options
    I even stood up to someone in a firm (not mean) manner who was attempting to bully me and intimidate me - I NEVER would have done that in the past!

Yes! I did the same thing today to a coworker who's always mean to me. We're strong and awesome and we're not going to let those losers drag us down!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think I handle stressful situations better. Eating enough helps me be more resilent when things get tough.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel more positive. I'm not obsessed over food any longer either which is such a great feeling. Not having to analyze every little morsel I put in my mouth has been so liberating! I mean, I still keep track obviously but now it's all about making sure I'm eating enough...and not about starving myself thin and feeling guilty over eating too many carrot sticks.

I'm also less cranky....less moody. My husband has noticed a HUGE difference....LOL
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Mandys_Getting_Fit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel more positive. I'm not obsessed over food any longer either which is such a great feeling. Not having to analyze every little morsel I put in my mouth has been so liberating! I mean, I still keep track obviously but now it's all about making sure I'm eating enough...and not about starving myself thin and feeling guilty over eating too many carrot sticks.

I'm also less cranky....less moody. My husband has noticed a HUGE difference....LOL

^This. And, as a previously binger, I can happily say that I haven't done that since starting to eat more. I did have one day recently when I felt STARVED and ate beyond my TDEE. But that was more about feeding myself and letting my metabolism recover, than about losing control and stuffing my face ....
  • TiffyChick
    Options

^This. And, as a previously binger, I can happily say that I haven't done that since starting to eat more. I did have one day recently when I felt STARVED and ate beyond my TDEE. But that was more about feeding myself and letting my metabolism recover, than about losing control and stuffing my face ....

I so relate to this! about 9 years ago I journaled everything I ate and felt guilty if I ate too much - I was trying to attain that "stick-thin" look because of pressure from my ex-husband who held that up as a standard of beauty. The problem was that I was so deprived that I would BINGE! I would go to the store by myself, do all the shopping (on a very empty stomach!), and buy two or three donuts as I left, eating them as fast as I could in the car so I could "hide" the evidence in my trash can in the garage. Then, of course, I would feel soooooo guilty, which meant even further deprivation, and the cycle just continued and continued and continued. : / I am EVER so grateful that I am DONE with living that way, that I now have a husband who likes - no, LOVES - my curves, and I'm in a healthy place emotionally that allows me to eat and be strong and healthy. It has been a life-changing thing for me to find this method of eating. I have had NO strong urges to binge. I've had the passing thought of "Ooooh, that candy bar looks good!" but then it goes away. And even if I DID enjoy a candy bar, I certainly wouldn't feel the guilt over it. I am changed inwardly because I've been able to say goodbye to that part of me that's always been afraid of trying to "get healthy" again. I always feared that fitness would be a trap that would get me in a downward spiral because of my past deprivation/binging issues...now I can breathe easy knowing that I can leave that in my past. I'm stronger now - and FED! LOL :tongue:
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I so relate to this! about 9 years ago I journaled everything I ate and felt guilty if I ate too much - I was trying to attain that "stick-thin" look because of pressure from my ex-husband who held that up as a standard of beauty. The problem was that I was so deprived that I would BINGE! I would go to the store by myself, do all the shopping (on a very empty stomach!), and buy two or three donuts as I left, eating them as fast as I could in the car so I could "hide" the evidence in my trash can in the garage. Then, of course, I would feel soooooo guilty, which meant even further deprivation, and the cycle just continued and continued and continued. : / I am EVER so grateful that I am DONE with living that way, that I now have a husband who likes - no, LOVES - my curves, and I'm in a healthy place emotionally that allows me to eat and be strong and healthy. It has been a life-changing thing for me to find this method of eating. I have had NO strong urges to binge. I've had the passing thought of "Ooooh, that candy bar looks good!" but then it goes away. And even if I DID enjoy a candy bar, I certainly wouldn't feel the guilt over it. I am changed inwardly because I've been able to say goodbye to that part of me that's always been afraid of trying to "get healthy" again. I always feared that fitness would be a trap that would get me in a downward spiral because of my past deprivation/binging issues...now I can breathe easy knowing that I can leave that in my past. I'm stronger now - and FED! LOL :tongue:

great post!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I can relate to all of the above! Started almost from day 1,

My stress levels dropped simply from not stressing about what I was or rather wasn't eating.

No desire to binge - I would easily eat a whole pack of biscuits a day - I'll start my 'diet' tomorrow.

All these positive feelings gave me the patience to stick it out when the scale didn't move, and still now I feel great knowing it is going to work this time & it really is for life!
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    I have felt a great weight lift from me emotionally as soon as I found this group. I've always tried dieting but had an ongoing battle about being healthy vs trying to restrict to low kcal. I think this is why I kept flitting between diets and plans and constantly starting again on Monday . Now I'm only 1 week in but I've stuck to it pretty much and finally feel in control of my appetite and hunger and actually excited about sticking to it ling term. I've also notice that when looking in the mirror I'm seeing places I want to tone up rather than just drop weight which also feels healthier. All in all I
    Incredibly happy to have found this forum and intend to keep with it :-))
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    For the very first time I am not thinking, "I can't wait until this is all done, and I can eat normally again! " I know like that was even a logical thought ever. I don't have cheat days at all, if I want something, I have it. This is a lifetime change, and life happens. I no longer need to have a huge amount of treats, I crave healthier foods.

Lifting has increased my confidence tenfold! I feel stronger physically, mentally, and emotionally! I am becoming the person, mom, and wife I always new I could be and wanted to be. I am taking care of the body the Lord has gifted to me.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I used to be on depression and sleep medication. I no longer need either! :drinker:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Completely relate and agree with both of these statements! I feel like I have my life back:love:
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    These results are so awesome! Not only do I love reading them for myself, but I also love having this information to share with others who want to get healthy and are heading down that "low-cal" road. This way of eating literally changes your LIFE! It's emotional and mental health improvements, not just physical, which is why it is FAR above other methods of losing weight that can't touch (and often worsen!) other emotional and mental struggles. LOve ALL of these entries.

***Also, I have noticed that my sleep is FAR and AWAY much better than it used to be! : )***
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    These results are so awesome! Not only do I love reading them for myself, but I also love having this information to share with others who want to get healthy and are heading down that "low-cal" road. This way of eating literally changes your LIFE! It's emotional and mental health improvements, not just physical, which is why it is FAR above other methods of losing weight that can't touch (and often worsen!) other emotional and mental struggles. LOve ALL of these entries.

***Also, I have noticed that my sleep is FAR and AWAY much better than it used to be! : )***

I totally agree!! The more I read, the better I feel about what I'm doing. I'm only a week in, but I just feel incredible. I have so much more energy than when I was on 1200... can't believe I was starving myself without even realising. Plus, over the last few months I had this underlying tension and anger that I just couldn't shake. I thought my hormones were turning on me again (as I've had probs with them in the past) but now after eating my TDEE cut for a week, I am so happy that it's ridiculous. It seems almost unbelievable that I can eat so much (and all the protein and dairy that I love so much), and feel so good, AND still drop weight. I don't weigh myself (I know I need to start so that I can adjust my numbers every so often) but I can already see that I haven't put on any inches from one week. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can see more muscle tone already, so I know I am feeding my muscles well and am still feeling very positive about the whole thing. And so glad I found this group so I can constantly keep on top of things and see what other people are going through and what I need to look out for.

Can't wait to start lifting more too, and knowing I'm feeding my body enough to do it properly. I actually have so much energy to work out now. Such a different feeling!! Cheers to everyone else that is on this journey too *holds up a protein shake*!