Goal setting question

Options
ermickel
ermickel Posts: 167 Member
Do you set your net calories at your TDEE minus whatever reduction you are going for or do you set your net at BMR plus excercise calories? I am also struggling to pick my activity level. I am in sales and get out a bit during the week but I am also at a desk quite a bit. I work out 5 days for about 30 minutes (30 days hred mixed with lifting) so that is under 3 hours. Currently I have chosen 1-3 hrs of light excercise....does that seem right?

Replies

• naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I've only been doing this for 2 months, but my understanding is that your daily goal should be your TDEE-15% (at most). Since your exercise cals burned (and yes, I agree with your selection of light exercise) are already calculated in your TDEE, you don't eat them back unless your NET is below your BMR. On days you don't exercise, you should net your TDEE-15%.

Hope this is clear :smile:
  • ermickel
    Options
    Hey,

I've only been doing this for 2 months, but my understanding is that your daily goal should be your TDEE-15% (at most). Since your exercise cals burned (and yes, I agree with your selection of light exercise) are already calculated in your TDEE, you don't eat them back unless your NET is below your BMR. On days you don't exercise, you should net your TDEE-15%.

Yep clear. But when you add your excercise calories to your log it increases your net so I guess you just ignore that or don't log them.
  • naonah
    Options
    Some people just log 1 calorie burned just to track that they DID exercise. I would log it but ignore the extra cals unless, like I said, my NET is below my BMR :smile:
  • naonah
    Options
    Hey,

Yep clear. But when you add your excercise calories to your log it increases your net so I guess you just ignore that or don't log them.

BTW, just to be clear, adding exercise decreases your net...so eat more than your daily allowance only if your net drops below your BMR. However, if you've calculated your exercise level correctly, this shouldn't happen too often. Not unless you have an awesome workout one day! Or you're upping your exercise routine. Which, I guess, if that's the case you should recalculate your TDEE.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options

When you add exercise calories, your net DECREASES. Remember Net = Food - Exercise. So you should set up your goal calories as your TDEE-15%. Log your exercise. And check your Net (food-exercise). If it drops below your BMR, then you need to eat more until your Net is at least to your BMR. It's a lot easier to explain with numbers. If you want to give me your BMR and TDEE-15% and I explain it further.

Hope that helps.
  • ermickel
    Options

When you add exercise calories, your net DECREASES. Remember Net = Food - Exercise. So you should set up your goal calories as your TDEE-15%. Log your exercise. And check your Net (food-exercise). If it drops below your BMR, then you need to eat more until your Net is at least to your BMR. It's a lot easier to explain with numbers. If you want to give me your BMR and TDEE-15% and I explain it further.

Hope that helps.

Ok here is is:
    BMR - 1512
    TDEE - 2079
    -15% - 1767

Right now my daily goal is set at 1767. Today I logged 286 excercise calories so my calorie amount went up. I just ignore those extra calories and eat to 1767, right?
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Ok here is is:
    BMR - 1512
    TDEE - 2079
    -15% - 1767

Right now my daily goal is set at 1767. Today I logged 286 excercise calories so my calorie amount went up. I just ignore those extra calories and eat to 1767, right?

Almost, but not quite. Your goal is correct at 1767. But you need to look to the right and see your Net calories (food - exercise). If that is less than 1512, then you need to eat more.

For today, you need to eat more than 1767, because your net calories is 1481 (1767-286). So because of the exercise, you need to eat at least 31 calories more (1512 BMR-1481) to get to your BMR. So have a few almonds and call it a day. :smile:

Today, there's not much difference. But if you do a spin class, zumba, or something like that, you'll have a high calorie burn which will increase your calories a lot. That's why I stopped doing spin class - I couldn't eat the 500-600 additional calories.

Hope that helps.
  • ermickel
    Options
    Ok now I am really confused because I thought the number already considered excercise in?!? I swear I am not dumb but this is not computing for me :laugh:
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It does include exercise, but If you are consistently going under your bmr when you exercise then you should consider upping to the next level.
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The easiest way I've found to do it is:

1. Set your calorie goal to TDEE - 15%, which I think you said was 1767.
    2. On your HOMEPAGE, not your food log page, only look at the food calories and the NET calories.
    3. Do your exercise and log for the full amount of calories burned
    4. If you ever see that your NET calories are lower than your BMR eat until you get back up to BMR.