Pizza Please!!!

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
May I please have your Primal pizza recipes please? I am dying for some pizza, but uhhhhh...... NO. I am not going to do it. Unless it's primal.

I saw recently where someone makes a cheese crust by crisping a pan of cheese in the oven and then adding more cheese, sauce, and toppings. There was another one, where you use a portabella mushroom as the crust. Does anyone know about these because I would like to know how to properly prepare them.

I have heard of making a cauliflower crust, but that is definitely for someone else to try.

Replies

• loulou0612
    loulou0612 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make this crust with veggies and diced chicken and it is amazing....so much better than the Califlower pizza (in my opinion)......http://accidentalmommies.com/delicious-no-carb-pizza-recipe/
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    IMG_0276.jpg

'Pizzabellas' (I made pizzas using portabella caps as the crust),
    a garden salad with some leftover chicken breast thrown in,
    and some berries for dessert.

Scrape the gills out of the portabella, then fill with your favorite pizza toppings (in this case tomato sauce, fresh mozz, pepperoni and some fresh basil). Put on a cookie tray and pop in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 (or until the portabella starts to sag). You pretty much have to eat it with a fork - but it tastes like you swiped the good parts off of everybody else's slice!
    [/quote]
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Portobella pizza is awesome....
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I saw recently where someone makes a cheese crust by crisping a pan of cheese in the oven and then adding more cheese, sauce, and toppings.

This is the one I use - basically I combine my shredded mozzerella or pizza blend cheese in a bowl with some oregano and other pizza-spices (garlic powder, etc), and then cook it on medium-low in a non-stick skillet almost like a pancake. It will start to brown on the bottom and slightly bubble on top, and it will only take a few minutes until it's brown enough on the bottom and you can lift it out with a spatula.

Then I put some warmed up sauce on top, with maybe just a little more shredded cheese, and the toppings you want (turkey pepperoni, veggies, etc.

It's obviously not the same as eating real pizza (sorry, I just love real pizza too much), but it's great to give you that "pizza taste" without the carby affects after!

Good luck :)
    -Jane
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I need to try the cheese crust.

We made one with almond meal crust and it was a fail. There is a recipe out there for meatza (ground meat crust) didn't look too appetizing to me so haven't tried.

I save my favorite local pizza place for a special occasion, I've been there twice since going paleo/primal in Feb and it was totally worth it. I felt awful, but it was still worth it. I will gladly not eat any take away pizza for months just to enjoy that periodically.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    IMG_0276.jpg

Scrape the gills out of the portabella, then fill with your favorite pizza toppings (in this case tomato sauce, fresh mozz, pepperoni and some fresh basil). Put on a cookie tray and pop in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 (or until the portabella starts to sag). You pretty much have to eat it with a fork - but it tastes like you swiped the good parts off of everybody else's slice!
    [/quote]

YES!!!! This is the portabella pizza I am talking about!!!!! I may have heard it from you in the first place. Thanks for sharing..... again!!!!!
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I saw recently where someone makes a cheese crust by crisping a pan of cheese in the oven and then adding more cheese, sauce, and toppings.

This is the one I use - basically I combine my shredded mozzerella or pizza blend cheese in a bowl with some oregano and other pizza-spices (garlic powder, etc), and then cook it on medium-low in a non-stick skillet almost like a pancake. It will start to brown on the bottom and slightly bubble on top, and it will only take a few minutes until it's brown enough on the bottom and you can lift it out with a spatula.

Then I put some warmed up sauce on top, with maybe just a little more shredded cheese, and the toppings you want (turkey pepperoni, veggies, etc.

It's obviously not the same as eating real pizza (sorry, I just love real pizza too much), but it's great to give you that "pizza taste" without the carby affects after!

Good luck :)
    -Jane

To me, pizza is all about the cheese!!! So this is going to be great!
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Amazing ideas here!! Meatza's look good but so do these! Hmmm... Now if only there was a primal garlic pizza bread!!
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    IMG_0276.jpg
    [/quote]

I have to say this looks amazing!!
  • concerto3
    concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We usually do the Cauliflower pizza crust. By far my favorite so far.

We have done the cheese crust, but we both found it to be cheese overkill, and I am a major cheese lover. I didn't think it was possible, but it was wayyyy too much cheese. Such high hopes too.... I like to fry cheese into smaller patties and eat them as cheese chips with marinara type sauce. Yummy!

We have also tried a few almond and coconut flour based crusts, but haven't found the right one for us yet. The search continues.
  • karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    I really liked the almond flour crust!
  • joceyofdoom
    joceyofdoom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump, because these all sound pretty good (except the mushroom, but I hate them, so that's just me). Back when I was doing the Atkins diet I found a recipe for Soy flour crust, which was terrible, but then I found Flax Meal pizza crust, which tasted amazing. It was like Focaccia bread. I'm new to the paleo/primal biz, so I'm not sure if this is a good fit, but it did taste amazing.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxpizza.htm
  • Gumbie7
    Gumbie7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump** thanks everyone:)
  • KristysGonnaGetFit
    KristysGonnaGetFit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    yummm.... gonna have to get some mushrooms, that looks AMAZING!!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    bump to look at tomorrow
  • kaiman1
    kaiman1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Someone mentioned Meatza. I've recently made one and it was delicious.
    All the toppings and more meat to boot...what else do you want :-)

Here is the recipe:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/greek-meatza-with-creamy-feta-kalamata-olives-and-red-onion/#axzz1x0VN2YBe
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Bump! My fiance would love meatza!!
  • ultrahush
    ultrahush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really like this flax meal crust recipe when I'm craving pizza: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/zero-carb-flax-meal-pizza-crust.html

During the summers I also like grilling sliced eggplant and making pizza towers with them!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    IMG_0276.jpg

[/quote]

I've done this before, and it's good!

I've read recipes for flaxseed crusts, but never tried it. Same with the cauli, cheese, and meatzza crusts.

Last night while everyone else had pizza, I just put the extra toppings on a salad and it gets me the same taste! Plus it was so hot here, I didn't want any hot food anyway, especially after a workout!