Anyone training C25K on an elliptical?

Options
susannahcooks
susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
Had been training C25k on a treadmill but my knee started bugging me around week 4, trainer suggested I train on an elliptical instead. Took me awhile to get used to elliptical (pacing - when I first started I had "all on" or "dead stop") so just restarted with w1d1.

Anyone else doing this? What strides per minute do you use for walk v. jog/run? I did 80-85 strides per minute for walk and 120-130 for jog/run. (I'm a big girl so go easy on me if that's slow).

Was just curious if anyone else has done this - I know I'll need to get a few 'non-gym' training sessions in along the way since real ground is much different than machine environment. Anyone else got an opinion? (Btw.. lets remember to go easy on each other).

Sus

Replies

• twistedpair
    twistedpair Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm just starting out so i'm not sure i'll be of much help. I'm using Podrunner Intervals, from Itunes, and they use BPM. I'm not sure that my elliptical keeps track of steps. I use it for 20 to 30 minutes a day, right now. I've completed W1D1 just to try it and I really enjoyed the workout. I'm planning to use the elliptical to the fouth or fifth week and then start running with the first week at the same time. I'll keep you posted here.:drinker:
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response! I was hearing nothing but crickets :) I did W1D2 this morning. I'm planning on doing a 5k on Labor Day (15 weeks) come h--- or high water. Had been considering doing the program back to back, but I like your idea - Since I typically do some kind of cardio 6 days a week, I could do elliptical c25k as normal, (right now I swim or play sand volleyball the other days) and when I feel like I can do pavement (6 weeks or so) start back at w1d1 and do the programs simultaneously.

Keep me posted on how you're doing!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there's anything wrong with an elliptical. However, it's really not comparable to running, which is what the C25K program is for. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Or rather, trying to use apples to make orange juice. It will certainly help your cardiovascular endurance, if you ever do decide to start running! It's also a GREAT primer for the program. But it's really not the same program as C25K, in essence.

By the way, you might want to try taking glucosamine chondroitin. My knee pain has completely disappeared after a week of taking it, and I never thought I would be able to run on pavement.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there's anything wrong with an elliptical. However, it's really not comparable to running, which is what the C25K program is for. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Or rather, trying to use apples to make orange juice. It will certainly help your cardiovascular endurance, if you ever do decide to start running! It's also a GREAT primer for the program. But it's really not the same program as C25K, in essence.

By the way, you might want to try taking glucosamine chondroitin. My knee pain has completely disappeared after a week of taking it, and I never thought I would be able to run on pavement.

what brand do you use? some are great. some don't do a damn thing :(
  • secretlobster
    Options

The ones I've used are Precor (or did you mean the OP?)
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    Think the reference was glucosomine/chondrointen (spelled atrociously sorry)
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Agree - what kind of GC do you use? I've always hated it, but really *should* take it. Not sure it would help me (big joint issues), but it's worth a try!
  • secretlobster
    Options

Oh... duh :P
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Oh... duh :P

What kind of glucosamine/chondroitin do you use? I need a good kind...
  • secretlobster
    Options
    What kind of glucosamine/chondroitin do you use? I need a good kind...

Actually, the kind I got from Whole Foods (Whole Foods brand) is working REALLY well for me. I only take one a day.

There are two basic kinds of Glucosamine/chondroitin complex - The kind made with HCl (usually cheaper), and the kind that is not. This is the kind that is not made with HCl... It's a bit more expensive (about $25 for 100 tablets) but it is worth it
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    [/quote]
    Actually, the kind I got from Whole Foods (Whole Foods brand) is working REALLY well for me. I only take one a day.
    [/quote]

Thanks! I think I"m going to have to stop by whole foods this weekend to get some. I found some knee strengthening stretches and exercises (they are for IT band, glutes, hip abductors and quads) - so hopefully the combo will have me doing c25k on solid ground more sooner than later.
  • susannahcooks
    Options

I stopped by yesterday and got the ones that also have MSM in it. 3 pills a day - we'll see! Thanks for the tip :)
  • twistedpair
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response! I was hearing nothing but crickets :) I did W1D2 this morning. I'm planning on doing a 5k on Labor Day (15 weeks) come h--- or high water. Had been considering doing the program back to back, but I like your idea - Since I typically do some kind of cardio 6 days a week, I could do elliptical c25k as normal, (right now I swim or play sand volleyball the other days) and when I feel like I can do pavement (6 weeks or so) start back at w1d1 and do the programs simultaneously.

Keep me posted on how you're doing!
    Today, I did W1D2. I do find I could keep going longer. I increase the resistance and stride length during the "running" part of the intervals.
    I want to do the C25K in the traditional manner, however my knees are not doing so well under the excess weight, so I'm taking it easy. I may even throw brisk walking in the mix just to give my knees a chance to strengthen.
    Oh, and thank you for your response as well. I was alittle surprised when no one answered your post originally.
    Stick with it and chat soon!!!!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    So I started taking the glucosamine/chondrointin/MSM supplement - and been doing the knee strengething exercises/stretches on the off days. Did w2d1 on the ellpitical with no struggle this morning. Thinking next weekend on my off day I may just attempt w1d1 on solid ground, just to see how vast the difference in conditioning is.
  • twistedpair
    Options
    So I started taking the glucosamine/chondrointin/MSM supplement - and been doing the knee strengething exercises/stretches on the off days. Did w2d1 on the ellpitical with no struggle this morning. Thinking next weekend on my off day I may just attempt w1d1 on solid ground, just to see how vast the difference in conditioning is.
    Right behind you! Did W1D3 today.
    I'm excited to hear how getting out for a run works for you. Go easy.
  • susannahcooks
    Options
    Did back to back w2d2 on elliptical and then w1d1 on treadmill. Was amazed i could do the treadmill one - although it was tough. Bet it would have been far too easy had I not already done 30 minutes. I think I'm just gonna do 3 days on elliptical and 1 day a week on treadmill and then when i get thru elliptical, do 3 days on treadmill 1 on ground until race day.

I am sad to say it was 1.9 miles in 1 hour. 3 miles in 30 minutes seems daunting. :)
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Doing the elliptical and running are two different things... I could do the elliptical 30 mins no problem, but I still couldn't run... until I did the c25k program