Should I up my calories?

Options
kazzsjourney
kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
Im interested in some feedback....i started the EMTWL in early april....im 175cm, 44 years old, weigh 86.2 kilos (189.64 pounds). I was eating 2275 calories...and i had calculated my BMR at 1581. At the end of April I had a DEXA scan...got told my body fat is 27.6% and my RMR is 1871. There recommendation was 3 things....to eat 1900-2000 calories, to calorie cycle (which i have done for most of my journey to lose 190 pounds) and to focus on cardio. Im happy with the focusing on cardio....just curious on the food side. Ive been eating what equates to 2000 calories per day and my calorie cycling looks like this :

saturday : 2500
sunday : 1900
monday : 2200
tuesday : 1900
wednesday : 1800
thursday : 2000
friday :1700

And i realise two of those days is under my RMR....exercise wise i work out 4 days a week....3 days a week i burn 400-700 calories a day (tuesday, wednesday and thursday) and I use a HRM to calculate how much i am burning. But on saturdays I burn up to 1700 calories ( i go running with my trainer for a hour then do a body pump class and body balance) i have no intention of changing my workout routine (and in fact have cut back from 5-6 days to 4 days while my body is adjusting to the running) anyway...from my calculations i should prolly be eating 2150 calories for a 15% cut from my TDEE using the RMR the DEXA scan gave me. They only want me to lose 8-10 kilos (17-22 pounds). I am losing on my current schedule (2.3 kilos/5 pounds this week) but I also want to do it the healthiest way....so wonder from some of the long term experts on this forum :) what your thoughts are? Also what are the thoughts on calorie cycling?

Replies

• tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on losing 190 pounds!!! That's really amazing! Here's one for you. :drinker:

Anyway, I think you were asking about calorie cycling. Basically, I think that is OK, but I'm surprised that they have you drop below your BMR. In general, that is not recommended here, but you should do what works for you.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I am fine with calorie cycling, although I prefer to add it later in the journey, closer to goal. We typically recommend cycling only after the body has stabilized at higher cal levels, so that it's not seen as a binge.

And you already know our views on going below BMR, lol, but I'll leave that alone... ;)

~Kiki