cutting out the salt

Options
if u have any ideas how to cut the salt give me some ideas

Replies

• sparklingday
    sparklingday Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I really have to watch my sodium. Some of the things that I try to do are:
    1) No more eating out in restaurants. you never know what they have put into the food or marinated the meat with.
    2) No more prepared foods from the frozen foods section of the grocery store. It is extremely for me to find a frozen meal of any kind that isn't loaded with sodium.
    3) Fast Foods / Drive thrus are really big no-no's for me. Mostly because I can't resist the french fries...
    4) You need to make sure and read the labels on everything... even the canned veggies!
    5) Luncheon meats are mostly a no... However, some you can find that are around 10% sodium. But then again, they have so many other kinds of preservatives that they are still not very good for me.

pretty much anything that looks quick and easy is off the menu now days for me.
    Anyway, that is my objective... lol... some days obviously go better than others.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    I love Mrs. Dash. I tried a few flavours (Canadian spelling) before I found the Garlic and Herb, which is milder than it sounds! I love it. There are lots of types beside the spice rack at the grocery store. My partner uses it too because he has heart issues. Remember you have to retrain your taste buds. Give yourself time and gradually reduce your salt. Your whole body will thank you. Good luck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Never add it unless you absolutely must, and then try to use the smallest amount possible. Try using sea salt; it comes in different flavors and maybe you would end up using less. Use a pepper mill and add freshly ground pepper and other spices instead of salt.
  • mrsjrwest
    mrsjrwest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've never watched my sodium before, but have tried to cook low sodium for some others in my life. One thing I have found is that onion POWDER, just a touch, helps with missing salt in the food. Also, herbs help. Spicy helps too, if you can handle it. Trust me, if you have salsa on eggs you will never miss the salt.

The thing I have done almost all my life is drink lots of water. Maybe that's a help in offsetting the sodium since it flushes it out.
  • bkw61
    bkw61 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Been doing the MFP for a month and half, but had previously lost 30 pounds about ten years ago, just cutting sodium. Its amazing the amount of salt in packaged foods!

I have found foods that are low and stick to those. Kashi Heart to Heart oat , Aunt Millies brand whole grain breads, Fit and Active brands from Aldis.

A couple frozen go to foods, Tyson grilled frozen chicken breast, in the green bag, are very low; lean cusine supreme pizza, some store brand french fries which I broil with mrs dashes lemon pepper seasoning.

Watch your pops if you drink them or sports drinks even some waters have sodium added.

ChiChis salsa is the lowest Ivc found, also some taco shells are no sodium others carry a ton, Snyder tortilla chips are the lowest too.

Hope this helps.
  • Bluejay61
    Bluejay61 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I realize this is a very old thread, but it's an important one, so I'm reviving it!

Yes, getting rid of the excess salt in our modern diets is VERY important, not just for blood pressure and bloating, but in my case, it was undermining my MFP efforts because it was making me SO HUNGRY. When I finally cut out the chick fil a grilled chicken visits, the Lean Cuisines, the eating out at restaurants all the time, and dumping salt on much of my food, I finally realized that my appetite (and my taste buds) were quickly returning to a natural state and my cravings for salty foods took a sharp decline. WOW. It was a turning point for me.

There's a reason why processed food manufacturers love the triad of salt/sugar/fat in their creations. If they can at least get fat and sugar, or fat and salt in there, it lights up our brains and creates hunger and cravings (in most people). Breaking that cycle is an amazing realization and very liberating.

Some tricks I've found that work for me:
    1. Instead of garnishing with butter/margarine, I use aged balsamic vinegar. Naturally no sodium and the taste is sweet yet sassy. Fave brand is Colavita.
    2. Also instead of butter/margarine I drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil. No sodium, much healthier, and great taste. Fave brand again is Colavita.
    3. I use more real spices for flavor. My faves are oregano and basil and chives.
    4. Instead of garlic salt and onion salt, switch to just the "powder" versions. Make sure the kind you choose are MSG-free. I like McCormick's California Garlic Powder. Nice on chicken and steaks and in chilis.
    5. Stay away from processed food....pretty much all of it. My only indulgence is Sprout's Multi-Grain bread (bread is notorious for sodium due to the baking soda and powders).
    6. Read those labels. :smiley: