Too frustrated to continue

Options
mamareese
mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
I just mapped my weight (and I'd do the same with my measurments if I had them handy...) and in 27 days I've gone up 11lbs. I understand a gain to balance back out but I haven't been at a signicant low calorie diet. I have been around 1500+exercise calories over the past year. Granted to loss but definitely no 10+ weight gain. This number only climbs, doesn't stabilize. None of my clothes feel good. My stomach measurments are now up almost 2 inches. My thighs up .5 inch each. I'm thinking I jumped into this the wrong way. Everyone has been very supportive and I appreciate that. 10+lbs in less than a month though is just too much for me.

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Have you posted before about your gain to get advice?

How much have you been eating and what are stats? What is your exercise routine?

10 lbs in a month is a lot, and I have a hard time believing it is a true gain. I am thinking most of that is water weight. Are you weight training?
  • mamareese
    Options
    I pasted my last post to the board below:

I'm closing in on 1 month of Eat More-Weigh Less and NROLFW. Just checking in with everyone to see if I am staying where I should be.

Stats: 29, 5'8.5, 157lbs.

BMR: 1515
    TDEE:2348
    Calorie set approx: 1900

I had my initial jump after eating more to 156.2 - settled in the following week to 157. No change on that front. Measurements appear the same. My stomach does look more bloated and not as flat as it had pre-increase , just one of those things you notice when looking in the mirror. My clothes (jeans/shorts/etc) do feel tighter in the waist and thighs. Which I know could be related to the strength training and not simply the increase in calories.

---THIS was 5/17/12. Now the scale read 162.8. Yes, I know the scale is an evil liar. But 11lbs? Somethings not right in this.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Unless my math is off, you're up more like 7 lbs rather than 11... or am I missing something?

Are you doing any cardio for your exercise calories or is it just lifting? I don't lift, but I wonder if the calorie burn is accurate... many TDEE calculators are quite simple and so if you're saying you're working out 5-6 days a week, it may be expecting you to have a 500 calorie burn each time and you may not be if you're only lifting.

So firstly the burn might not be right.

Secondly, your food tracking... how accurate are you? Do you use a food scale? Measuring cups/spoons?

Lastly, the body definitely can retain 7 lbs in glycogen stores and the water those store need to hold on to. Oftentimes when people start a low calorie diet, the big loss you see in week 1 is those glycogen stores depleted and the water that goes with. Easily 7 lbs.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but diligence is key. Keep learning, keep tracking, keep looking for new information.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    There have been a few people on here who have gained 10 lbs in the first month and then it started trending downwards.

There really is no way you gained that much by eating 1900 calories.

You are doing heavy lifting and starting a new way of eating, you're retaining water.

I also agree with the previous poster, make sure to weigh and measure everything you eat for at least a month, no eyeballing it.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just mapped my weight (and I'd do the same with my measurments if I had them handy...) and in 27 days I've gone up 11lbs. I understand a gain to balance back out but I haven't been at a signicant low calorie diet. I have been around 1500+exercise calories over the past year. Granted to loss but definitely no 10+ weight gain. This number only climbs, doesn't stabilize. None of my clothes feel good. My stomach measurments are now up almost 2 inches. My thighs up .5 inch each. I'm thinking I jumped into this the wrong way. Everyone has been very supportive and I appreciate that. 10+lbs in less than a month though is just too much for me.

To have gained 11lbs of fat in the last month you would have had to eat 38,500 calories more then your tdee. That equals 1426 calories more per day over your tdee which is pretty hard to beleive you did. Rest assured it's not fat weight if you actually did gain 11lbs.

edit-fixed numbers since I read 10lbs vs 11.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Scott here.

Also you started lifting heavy right at the same time you upped your calories. This is a double whammy of water retention.

When you start to eat more, you usually add in some carbs (perfectly normal) You body will store the carbs as Glycogen in your muscles. I think its for every 1g of glycogen storage, you will also store 3g of water around it. this adds up fast.

Now the double whammy comes in lifting heavy. Your body stores a lot of water due to the inflammation of lifting heavy (soreness).

Have you taken a week off from lifting? That would be a good test to see how your water retention comes down.
  • Pattinan
    Pattinan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I too have fallen off the wagon with the eat more philosophy. I was doing just fine before. Giving a compulsive overeater permission to eat more is disastrous. It started with just a little more of the healthy calories then went to the binging on unhealthy foods...so disappointing! I am going back to my 1370 cal to lose. I did give it time...2 months plus.

I guess the moral of the story is we have to do what is best for our own bodies. I look forward to getting back on track. :)
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    How long does water retention like this hold on? A week? Two?
  • mamareese
    Options
    I have been 151 to 152 for eons. Thus the 11lb gain in my initial statement. The copy and paste of the last post I made was when I made the initial climb. It was one big hump to 156 and slower jump to 157. And then 2 more jumps...slam bam...scale says 162.

I do understand the philosophy of water retention etc. As well as, TOM's influence. I['m just not sure that a steady climb despite measuring and weighing (though yes, admittedly I have ate out 3x in the past month) is indicative of how this approach is supposed to work. Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking...I completely believe that the 'eat more weigh less' philosophy is correct- particulary for heavy lifters/ exercisers...my assumption is just that my calculations are off. Such as the comment made my one of the previous posters...I hit moderate exercise which I workout 6x a week- heavy weight 3x 2x cardio intervals 1x light workout. But what my view of moderate might be very different from others. Just as online calculations can have such a huge variance.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    How long does water retention like this hold on? A week? Two?

It depends on the person but it could be upwards of 10 weeks for some.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I have been 151 to 152 for eons. Thus the 11lb gain in my initial statement. The copy and paste of the last post I made was when I made the initial climb. It was one big hump to 156 and slower jump to 157. And then 2 more jumps...slam bam...scale says 162.

I do understand the philosophy of water retention etc. As well as, TOM's influence. I['m just not sure that a steady climb despite measuring and weighing (though yes, admittedly I have ate out 3x in the past month) is indicative of how this approach is supposed to work. Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking...I completely believe that the 'eat more weigh less' philosophy is correct- particulary for heavy lifters/ exercisers...my assumption is just that my calculations are off. Such as the comment made my one of the previous posters...I hit moderate exercise which I workout 6x a week- heavy weight 3x 2x cardio intervals 1x light workout. But what my view of moderate might be very different from others. Just as online calculations can have such a huge variance.

Can you get a body media fit to get a more accurate idea?