NO MUSIC?

Options
what923
what923 Posts: 100 Member
Looked at a 10K race but it said no headphones allowed? Has anyone ever done a race where they enforce this rule? I can't run without some musical motivation- really what is the safety hazard on a course? How about if I wear it in just one ear? Thought I saw something on the site about this for Disney races- does anyone know about that? May definitely change my 'Goofy' dreams if I can't have music for 39 miles!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes I have seen it enforced

Yes it can be a safety issue (I've been stepped on by people unaware of their surroundings)

And yes you can run for 39 miles w/o music. Disney has so much entertainment on the course, you'll be fine. You could also just talk to other people if you find yourself bored.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've definitely seen it as a rule for races. Not sure if they were enforced or not. I love listening to my music during training but I always leave my iPod at home on race day. I want to be there, in the moment, enjoying the race, the crowd and the other runners so no music for me at races.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    This rule is more common than people think. I use my nano during training but never during a race. It's not hard getting use to no music, there's a lot going on during a race. I see so many people with the music so loud that I can name the song from 10' away. The race organizers want racers to hear traffic, people around them, racers announcing they are passing on one side, et cetera. Plus I always thought that running with headset in your ear said the same thing it does at the gym, "don't bother me I want to be left alone".
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Yes, I have run races without music. Sometimes it is enforced and sometimes not. Elite runners (running for prize money) are never allowed to use watches or music. It can be a safety hazard as I have seen medical teams on bikes, motorcycles, or in vehicles and runners refuse to move because they can't hear. Depending on the race there may be live music to listen to, people cheering, etc. I don't think this is the rule at Disney and if it is it's not enforced b/c you are encouraged to bring your phone to take pictures with the characters. You can do it. Start training without it now and you won't miss it. I frequently forget to charge my ipod and run silently- a good time to think out problems, observe your surroundings, etc. Good luck!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've run a 10K where headphones were banned - apparently it was UKAA road regs - it was a road race and not all the roads were closed so fair enough really.
    I also run 5K at parkrun each week and music is not banned but the guidelines state that they'd rather people didn't wear a headset because of listening to the marshals and also because the run is meant to be a social experience and you can't interact with other people if you have music blaring away.
    I find I run faster without music too - bonus!
  • dela1000
    dela1000 Posts: 62
    Options
    This is the first time I hear of that. I only run without music when I'm running with other people and we chat about work and life, but on races or solo runs I need me some music. I've even noticed that when the battery runs out on my music mid-run my time suffers.

I would think twice about signing up to a long care (longer than a 5k) that didn't allow headphones.
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- I understand the safety..guess I don't think about it much because I keep mine a comfortable level so I can hear vehicles approaching (like to be aware even when I am on the opposite side of the road) and/or the occasional loose dog. During races I always look behind before moving out or changing position. Just a personal preference but really I hate hearing my shoes slapping the road or by fluid sloshing (if I'm carrying a fuel belt) for miles and miles. Music really motivates me and I have no problem thinking, praying etc and sometimes tuning it out but most of the time I need that strong beat to push me on. I found a new race...maybe I will try a few times on a wean- just wear one ear phone so I can hear other things too. I have taken up running with a partner at least once a week and the conversation passes the time. We'll see what the future holds.
  • itisjoan
    itisjoan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I trained for my first marathon with my ipod. if I forgot to charge the ipod, i would push back the run til I had enough power to get me through XX miles. When I ran Disney as my first race, i started with the music on but then, before I even hit mile one, I put it away and it never came out. I do some training runs with music but mostly i don't. I am better in tuned with my running when i don't have music on. I know how I am breathing, that I'm running in my comfort zone and not to the beat.
    You can do 39 miles without music. Don't let it be your crutch. Just run for the enjoyment. However, Disney isn't strict at all.