its not working :( im heavier??

Options
djf23
djf23 Posts: 58 Member
i dont understand i have watched my carbs closely made sure not to go over 35 grams at most usually fair bit under

its been 10 days since i started and i just check my weight at the gym, im nearly 4 kg heavier!!!!!!

am i doing something wrong, i increased my calories by like 600 in past few days and im having high fat content and lower protien

and ive been drinking loads of water every day

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i increased my calories by like 600 in past few days

Err, why ?

Is your diary open....
  • djf23
    Options
    i increased my calories by like 600 in past few days

Err, why ?

Is your diary open....

sorry it was locked...but i made it public
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    there's a couple of days you overshot your calorie target.

I have to have a lower protein than you're eating to lose, part of protein is turned into glucose so it is about 44% ketogenic (or 56%, can't remember which way round).
  • djf23
    Options
    there's a couple of days you overshot your calorie target.

I have to have a lower protein than you're eating to lose, part of protein is turned into glucose so it is about 44% ketogenic (or 56%, can't remember which way round).

oh thanks..the days i went alot over like 2000 etc i was called in for a breakdown and it was like 10 hr a days of fairly physical work so those days i needed the extra

also im trying to keep the protien high as im doing heavy weight sessions every monday wednesday friday, and i really dont want to lose muscle mass cause ive heard you lose 10% muscles mass on a low carb diet, but lot of time has gone into getting to this level so dont want to lose all those months of going to the gym

a few people have said to lower sodium and to just go meat and fat for few days..so im doing that hopefully itll kick start it

thanks
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yeah this month I am "heavier" too, but i look thinner.

Are you "heavier" or are you "fatter"? if you can't tell you don't worry about it.

What Pu said....I almost never go by the scale. I don't need to. I can absolutely tell how I'm doing by how my clothes fit. If I'm gaining muscle but losing fat, I can totally feel it in the way my clothes fit. How they hang on my body. My pants get looser, I usually need to go to the next hole in on my belt, and you guys are working out a helluva lot harder than I am, weight wise. I really wouldn't sweat too much.
  • djf23
    Options

Are you "heavier" or are you "fatter"? if you can't tell you don't worry about it.

What Pu said....I almost never go by the scale. I don't need to. I can absolutely tell how I'm doing by how my clothes fit. If I'm gaining muscle but losing fat, I can totally feel it in the way my clothes fit. How they hang on my body. My pants get looser, I usually need to go to the next hole in on my belt, and you guys are working out a helluva lot harder than I am, weight wise. I really wouldn't sweat too much.

yeh im not to sure about the scale... im feeling stronger, today i was able to lift close to my max from last time i was lifting continous so i might put on some muscle again... but in a week im not to sure if 3 kg of muscle is even possible to put on

but i dunno ill wait a week then weigh myself....ive gotten stricter on the diet so hopefully it works out

thanks
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

yeh im not to sure about the scale... im feeling stronger, today i was able to lift close to my max from last time i was lifting continous so i might put on some muscle again... but in a week im not to sure if 3 kg of muscle is even possible to put on

but i dunno ill wait a week then weigh myself....ive gotten stricter on the diet so hopefully it works out

thanks

Not possible, but what is very possible, is if your workouts are intense(you talked about coming close to your max) your muscles can get inflamed and hold water as well. Also They can also be adapting to store glycogen(carbs in the muscle) better which will also weigh you down.

Question for ya Pu....I heard a guy who was kinda/sorta sand-bagging the whole low carb thing and saying it didn't work by bringing up glycogen. How do you get rid of glycogen....maybe it wasn't glycogen, maybe it was glucagon. It was glucagon. I'm pasting something from wikipedia on it.

Glucagon, a peptide hormone secreted by the pancreas, raises blood glucose levels. Its effect is opposite that of insulin, which lowers blood glucose levels.[1] The pancreas releases glucagon when blood sugar (glucose) levels fall too low. Glucagon causes the liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose, which is released into the bloodstream. High blood glucose levels stimulate the release of insulin. Insulin allows glucose to be taken up and used by insulin-dependent tissues. Thus, glucagon and insulin are part of a feedback system that keeps blood glucose levels at a stable level. Glucagon belongs to a family of several other related hormones.

So how do you get rid of it (glycogen/glucagon) once it builds up?
  • djf23
    Options

thanks

Not possible, but what is very possible, is if your workouts are intense(you talked about coming close to your max) your muscles can get inflamed and hold water as well. Also They can also be adapting to store glycogen(carbs in the muscle) better which will also weigh you down.

yer i have a feeling its water weight, as the original 129 weight was at a medical for work about 2 months ago, and i know i wouldnt have put on weight since, still kinda sucks i hear all these people say best thing about low carb is that you drop like 10 pounds in the first week (i know its only water mostly but still good to see on the scales), since ive been taking creatine ive really being pushing to failure on all my lifts..feels awesome but what your saying is probably happening

is there a way to stop the inflamming, or is that a part of the muscle building process??
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    take your measurements. i lost 8 inches in a month.