New BMF owners what to share what you think?

Options
Kooopons
Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
*Meant "WANT to share what you think?"

From reading the few BMF threads of late I know some others were ordering one or just started using one.

I just got a BMF last week. I'm on day 3 of wearing it and quite fascinated!

I'm surprised it's pretty on the money with my manual calculations for my TDEE. I am getting a slight bit higher over all, my mod active TDEE is 2253 and so far on my BMF I've gotten 2686, 2435, 2597 and 2164 so far today. I'm eating 1802 a day, 20% of my mod active TDEE and thinking of increasing a bit.

One thing is I'm in a tank top nearly every day since it's so hot and I've gotten asked several times already about it- not a big deal, but it is quite obvious.

How is everyone else doing? Are you finding it accurate? Are you getting questions about it?

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it to be quite accurate! I've only had it for a week though so I am still double checking things but so far it's been really awesome. I love being able to know what my tdee is with confidence.

I have had questions about it when it can be seen, but people just think it's a running gadget of some sort. :happy: I don't think I'd wear it visibly to a party or anything though...hehe. But in normal everyday situations I could care less if people see it...more concerned with getting a weird tan line actually!!

Over all it has been WELL WORTH THE MONEY in my opinion!!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I've had mine now for exactly 4 weeks and I'm really enjoying it. All the numbers and reports fascinate me!!

I'm still shocked by how much I burn per day...if I had stuck with the Fat2FitRadio numbers, I'd still be way under in calories. Now that I've had some time to wear my BMF and get more accurate numbers, I've had to increase my calories twice now and I have a feeling I'll need to do another increase here pretty soon.

I also find that it pushes me to be more active which might explain why my burn is higher than I thought. If I get half way through my day and I'm still pretty low in calories burned, I make sure to go on a bike ride or go swimming or just do something that keeps me active, in addition to my regularly scheduled workout which I do 6 days a week.

I love knowing at all hours of the day, my specific burn for each activity I do. I couldn't imagine wearing my HRM around all day to figure the numbers out.

I've been wearing tank tops too and people have asked. I just tell them I'm on parole....and hope they know I'm joking. There actually have been some people who ask, "Is that one of those pedometer thingies?" so as they're becoming more popular, others seem to already be acquainted with this kind of device.

My opinion - worth every single penny!!!!
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i was interesting in buying one of these, but i can't find them in the UK, are they called by any other name that i could google
  • sevenswans
    sevenswans Posts: 12
    Options
    i was interesting in buying one of these, but i can't find them in the UK, are they called by any other name that i could google

This! Im interested too, if there is a UK version...
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    How does the BMF calculate the TDEE-using the heart rate I suppose?

If so, I am wondering if I could get an accurate reading wearing my HRM for 24 hours?

Here in the UK the BMF is not available. There is a similar thing, but that costs about 400 Pounds ($650 roughly) plus subscription fee.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options

I THINK the UK version is called the KI FIT - if you go to Amazon.co.uk you'll see it there. It's 149.99 pounds
    Dont you guys get delivery from amazon.com (US)? If you could then you'll be able to order on there?

I'm in South Africa and they would have delivered to me from US.
  • sevenswans
    sevenswans Posts: 12
    Options

If so, I am wondering if I could get an accurate reading wearing my HRM for 24 Hours?

My hrm only counts calories when my heart rate goes above a certain bpm . I had hoped the same thing!

Will investigate on amazon, thanks so much for the suggestion! X
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I know that hrm are supposed to be unreliable but it might give you an idea. I wore mine all day 6 mths apart on a non workout day and the difference between the katch mcardle method(I like to use bf%) and my hrm was only 80cals.

Just my 2cents
  • guava6982
    guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying mine. I hate uncertainty, and when I follow weight loss advice that is intended for the "average" person, I always have that nagging doubt in my mind about it's effectiveness. I am more active throughout the day than I originally thought, burning anywhere from 2300-2900 calories. Previously, I had estimated my TDEE to be around 2200 calories. True, it's ugly. I would love to wear it all the time, but that's just not practical. It has been really interesting to see my sleep data. I knew that I wasn't getting enough good quality sleep, and the BMF has confirmed it in concrete terms. My sleep efficiency tends to be between 65% and 80%, which means only about 4-5 hours of sleep. I now know for sure that it's something that I need to address, although I don't know how I will do that. I will, however, need to experiment a bit with the armband placement for cycling and weight lifting, as those are activities that I do several days a week. With my last weight lifting workout, my HRM said that I burned 100+ calories more than the BMF suggested. Not sure which one is more accurate.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    How much was it? I thought I heard several months ago before I got my fitnbit that it was $395? My fitbit was only $100 so I chose that but when I googled BMF the other day it was only $150. Wish I had invested in that than my HRM and FB. :( Also not sure I could wear it on my arm everyday though.
  • jyska
    Options

If so, I am wondering if I could get an accurate reading wearing my HRM for 24 hours?

Here in the UK the BMF is not available. There is a similar thing, but that costs about 400 Pounds ($650 roughly) plus subscription fee.

The BMF uses 4 different sensors to calculate the burn, but HR is actually not one of them. They did the research and found that adding the HR sensor into the gadget did not improve the accuracy enough to counterbalance the added size and cost it would bring to the system. If you have a good strap version HRM, use that when you do any major cardio if you want a really accurate burn for that, but otherwise the BMF is pretty darn close from what I can see in my little tests.

Also, from what I've found in my research, the HRM does not give a good 24 hr reading...it's mainly for elevated HR.
  • jyska
    Options
    How much was it? I thought I heard several months ago before I got my fitnbit that it was $395? My fitbit was only $100 so I chose that but when I googled BMF the other day it was only $150. Wish I had invested in that than my HRM and FB. :( Also not sure I could wear it on my arm everyday though.

It's $150 for the basic version I believe and $200 for the Link (bluetooth) version that I bought.
  • Noor13
    Options

I THINK the UK version is called the KI FIT - if you go to Amazon.co.uk you'll see it there. It's 149.99 pounds
    Dont you guys get delivery from amazon.com (US)? If you could then you'll be able to order on there?

I'm in South Africa and they would have delivered to me from US.

Yes, it is called Ki-Fit but I am surprised if it was only 149. When I looked at it it was 399 and that was not long time ago
  • Noor13
    Options
    Ok I just looked at their site, seems they lowered the prices
    The Ki fit with one year subscription is 270 Pounds
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good to hear everyone liking it! I too seem to get up and do more when I check in and I haven't burned as many as I like!

My dh keeps telling the neighbors it's my house arrest bracelet. But yeah, kind of ugly and obvious. I left it off at a memorial day party this weekend but I'm trying to wear it most other times. Esp in the beginning here to get a good idea of what I'm doing day to day

I bought the core- I went back and forth on the link vs the core- but I'm near my computer all day and just hook it up and get my numbers. I have the app on my phone so I can check what my latest update was if I forgot. I paid $130 w/ 6 months free subscription from the Costco deal a week ago. I agree, worth every penny!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying mine. I hate uncertainty, and when I follow weight loss advice that is intended for the "average" person, I always have that nagging doubt in my mind about it's effectiveness. I am more active throughout the day than I originally thought, burning anywhere from 2300-2900 calories. Previously, I had estimated my TDEE to be around 2200 calories. True, it's ugly. I would love to wear it all the time, but that's just not practical. It has been really interesting to see my sleep data. I knew that I wasn't getting enough good quality sleep, and the BMF has confirmed it in concrete terms. My sleep efficiency tends to be between 65% and 80%, which means only about 4-5 hours of sleep. I now know for sure that it's something that I need to address, although I don't know how I will do that. I will, however, need to experiment a bit with the armband placement for cycling and weight lifting, as those are activities that I do several days a week. With my last weight lifting workout, my HRM said that I burned 100+ calories more than the BMF suggested. Not sure which one is more accurate.

When riding my bike, I switch my BMF from my arm to my left calf and I get a more accurate reading that way. I tested it a couple times....going back and forth from wearing my HRM and getting my calories burned. And then wearing my BMF on my arm and then my calf. My HRM matched calories burned almost to the exact number when I was wearing my BMF on my calf. Plus, I have a hard time believing that I'm only burning 120 calories on a 4-mile bike ride, pulling my little twins (100+) behind me in a bike trailer, which is what my BMF said when i wore it on my arm. Wearing it on my calf, it counts as vigorous exercise and I burn over 300 calories.
  • guava6982
    guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

When riding my bike, I switch my BMF from my arm to my left calf and I get a more accurate reading that way. I tested it a couple times....going back and forth from wearing my HRM and getting my calories burned. And then wearing my BMF on my arm and then my calf. My HRM matched calories burned almost to the exact number when I was wearing my BMF on my calf. Plus, I have a hard time believing that I'm only burning 120 calories on a 4-mile bike ride, pulling my little twins (100+) behind me in a bike trailer, which is what my BMF said when i wore it on my arm. Wearing it on my calf, it counts as vigorous exercise and I burn over 300 calories.

Thanks! I will give that a try.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing mine for a week now. I got the basic model on Amazon for $99. I love the data. I am burning a lot more calories than I thought. I was sick in bed all day this weekend and I still burned almost 1800 calories. I also switched mine to my left calf when I take my spin class and it was a much more accurate calorie burn than on my arm.

To be honest, I am getting tired of wearing it. It bugs me. I committed to wearing it for two weeks to gather data. Then I will analyze the data and probably need to increase my calories. I am currently eating 1900 a day. It was worth the purchase to determine my TDEE.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Ok I just looked at their site, seems they lowered the prices
    The Ki fit with one year subscription is 270 Pounds

The price of 149.99 pounds is what it sells for on Amazon.co.uk.
    Doesn't include a subscription though.