books gaining muscle for women/lots of questions

Options
Pascua_j
Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
I have met my weight loss goal through cardio, diet, one round of P90X and now Bodypump classes. I am happy with the # on the scale, but my lower body still needs more firming up and my upper body needs to be filled out. You can see the bones in my shoulders and back and I do NOT like it! I want to be a little thicker, but not fatter, ya know? The best example of a body type I like is Jamie Eason, but it would take a miracle, so that is less a goal and more just for you to have an idea of the size/ thickness I would prefer. I know weights are the key.

I have switched my calories to maintenance = 1760 and I know it needs to be protein heavy
I am doing bodypump 2-3 times a week and walking/jogging intervals 2-3 times a week for anywhere from 30 min- one hour.

1. I am looking at the 5X5 info and buying the book on TNROLFW- opinions on which is better?

2. Anyone have a suggestion for books (besides the Eat Clean series, I have them all) on the nutrition end of increasing muscle mass for women? I am a culinary arts teacher, I love to cook. This is just a whole new set of "must have" ingredients. T

3. Is the setting for gaining muscle on MFP maintenance or more or less? Nervous already about the higher # of calories...

4. Should I start the new training plan (TNROLFW or 5X5, whichever one gets the most/best votes here) AND continue bodypump as cardio, running as cardio or both? Or neither?

Just in general- help!

I would specifically book suggestions if you have them. I need to spend $13 more on Amazon for free shipping. But I would also appreciate general advice/suggestions. I thought losing the weight was going to be the most difficult, turns out it is putting on the muscle I need in order to have the shape I want. Go figure,

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    1. I think stronglifts is better. The New Rules has a decent beginners program, but what they have you move to after that is too much screwing around and not enough focus on the core lifts.

2. There not much you need to know besides eat slightly over maintenece, 1 gram of protein per pound of target bodyweight, .5 g of fat per pound of target bodyweight, fill the rest of your diet with mostly carbs and whatever else you want, eat a few hundred calories over maintenance, add a few hundred more calories if progress stalls.

3. Should be over maintenece, assuming all the numbers are accurate. You can't be afraid of eating more. If you're trying to gain muscle, you are going to gain some fat along with it. If you can't handle this, you may as well give up now.

4. I would keep cardio to 3x per week low intensity (think walking) or 2x per week moderate intensity (think jogging) at most. Too much cardio can interfere with muscle gains.
  • Pascua_j
    Options
    Thanks! I have been checking back like crazy waiting for an answer :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance sounds low to me, though it could be correct if you drop some of the cardio as suggested.
  • Pascua_j
    Options
    Thank you!