Starting to add strength training

Options
elodea
elodea Posts: 19 Member
So I have been consistent in my cardio for the past month, and have been eating at TDEE-15%. I'm now thinking about adding in the strength training component. I've read about the NROWL4W (?) but am concerned that might be too intense for me. I have bad knees and after 2-3 years they finally stopped hurting - so I am hesitant to stress them out again. My ligaments are really loose and tear/strain very easily. I also have tendonitis in my elbow joints and can feel my shoulder joints teetering on straining too. Once they go it takes years for them to fully recover.

So my question is do you know of any programs for weight lifting that is mild enough not to strain my ligaments yet hopefully effective enough to strengthen them to the point that I am building more muscle tissue and raising my metabolism? I know how important strength training is and years ago (like 20) I belonged to a gym and had amazing results from working out to the point I could stack 3 cords of wood and my back wouldn't even ache the next morning. Those days are gone! But I'd sure like to gain back some of that flexibility and strength.

I don't have access to a gym now so would be doing this at home. I have a balance ball, and some very light hand weights. All suggestions welcome!

Replies

• tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any program will completely fit your needs, but I think you can modify any strength training to fit your needs.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think if you start slow, really listen to your body, use proper form and start with body weight exercises only you can build up the strength so that you don't have the ligament/tendon issues. Many of the exercises in NROLFW can be modified for body weight only. 30DS may be a good starter option to gauge your strength and fitness level for lifting.