Cheese for snacking

Options
eliselasco
eliselasco Posts: 3 Member
I've read in several fitness articles that cheese is a wise choice for a snack if you're looking to lose weight. I love cheese, so I really want this to be true but I don't want it to be an excuse for consuming too much. Another problem, I don't know what kind of cheese these articles are talking about. If anyone knows anything about this, please speak up! :)

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Protein is great for people, especially those that are losing weight but trying to not lose muscle mass. Also, I would like to mention, that for most people MFP's default settings for protein is unreasonably low (one should try to eat around 1 g of protein per kg (2.2 lbs)).

Most cheese/dairy products is very high in protein per calorie. It has some fats, but not too bad. Always just check the labels and see for yourself how the macros are.

I also like Fage 2% plain greek yogurt (greek yogurt is a protein powerhouse, but you gotta check the labels and make sure you get one without a TON of added sugars).

Snack away! :smile:
  • wayhaps
    wayhaps Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think the only really bad part about cheese is the sodium. I really like those little mini baybel pieces that come packed in wax.
  • eliselasco
    eliselasco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I've always considered cheese as an indulgence. There are far less options here in the Philippines, but there are still some good stuff. I'm a huge fan of bega stringers. :)
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    love all the Laughing Cow cheeses...especially the Mini Babybel light :)
  • kelichik32
    kelichik32 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The Laughing Cow wedges are great too. They also make a delicious spread on a sandwich instead of mayo and add a lot of flavor!
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I snack on low fat string cheese or cheese slices all the time! Good source of protein. I love low fat ricotta and cottage cheese too. You can't eat a lot of the full fat stuff, but there are many options for watching what you eat and still getting your cheese fix!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a great snack because the fat combined with the protein keeps you full for a while. I find cheese is a bit expensive though, so try to buy it on sale- every few weeks the Laughing Cow brands will be buy-one get-one at Safeway (which is Von's in lost of other states).

I actually disagree with the poster below, and think full fat cheese is better and not just for the taste. Low fat is OK if it's made with skim milk, but check the ingredients because usually they add other artificial stuff. For women I think low-far diets in general are bad, instead just stick to the good fats and reduce sugar intake. To keep your 'womanly' features you need some fat, plus it helps with hair and nail health.

And yes, Laughing Cow spreadables are a great alternative to mayo or other condiments on sandwiches!
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with low-fat string cheese. It's only about 60 calories a stick, and so yummy.
    They are a little high in sodium, but I don't eat much salt so it works out fine for me.

I also second the light babybel cheese circles. I try not to buy them though because they are klinda pricey and I can eat 5 at one sitting LOL
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    I've gotten in the habit of eating a cheddar cheese stick for a snack almost every day lately. It makes me happy :)
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I love Babybel Lights :)
    They are low in calories but quite high in protein x
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes I've found baby bel lights to be the best. Not only are they tasty, fairly low calorie, and have a good protein/fat ratio. You don't have to think about portion control, because it's already done for you, and because they are wrapped in the wax, you can carry them around with you for a whole day, in case you decide you need a snack, without worrying about them going bad...!