Calories Burned

Options
bunches81
bunches81 Posts: 12 Member
Hello swimmers! I just joined the group. i have a question about how you track your calories burned....so i used to swim in high school (7 years since i graduated) and i just recently got back into swimming. i've been swimming on a rec team for about 2 months now, usually 2-3x's per week. our practice are about 1-1.5 hr. i've been using "Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort" to track my exercise and usually say for 60 min. i figure i probably rest at the all about 15 min a practice. does this sound about right to anyone? thanks for your advice!!

Replies

• Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've found that (for me) the calorie burn that MFP provides for swimming is much higher than what I actually burn. I swim freestyle in an Endless Pool (so no turns) for 30 minutes straight with no rest breaks. MFP says that I burn almost 300 calories. However, when I use my Polar FT4 HRM, it says I only burn about 180-200 calories.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    bunches - welcome!!

I agree with Wuggums that MFP overestimates, but since my HRM won't work in the pool I can't say how much over it goes. Since you've been a competitive swimmer before, you are likely more efficient in the water than most people, so the calorie burn may be even more off. To play it safe, I would use the light/mod effort option you've been using and then calculate it with 75% of the the burn MFP says...that way, if you eat your exercise calories back, you aren't eating too much.

For me - if I put in an hour of swimming, MFP gives me 900 calories burned. I know that from other exercises I can burn up to 700 calories with my HRM (doing zumba where my HR gets up to 190 sometimes) - however, I'm more efficient in the water than on land, so I'm able to push harder and keep my HR higher for longer. So, I would estimate 750 calories burned per hour of swimming for me (I weigh 201 pounds).

How many calories burned does MFP give you for the hour at light/mod effort?
  • bunches81
    Options
    Thanks guys! Wuggums- do you wear your heart rate monitor in the pool? I'm trying to find a heart rate monitor watch for the pool but i'm pretty confused if such a thing actually exists (i keep finding mixed reviews).

Em- 457 calories doing 60 minutes of "Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort" (I'm about 145). It seems a little high for and I agree I'm probably more efficient in the water than most. But thanks for the great idea about using 75% of MFP's calculation. I haven't been loosing any weight for the past few weeks so I started to think that the MPH calculation might have been off/I was eating too or too little/whose knows what else! I was hoping that if I could be able to keep track of my cals burned more accurately, I'd see more weight loss results.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I also 'knock back' the calories burned - but also bear in mind you have probably been building up your muscles (heavier than fat) so you might want to think about taking measurements rather than weight goals ... My weight has been fairly static over a period in which Iost 7cm on my waist for example.

I wish my pool had training sessions - that would give me a goal to aim to get good enough for!
  • bunches81
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to try to measure myself more often (i've only done it twice since Jan and I'm pretty sure I was measuring in the right places). But I can def tell me back and shoulders are getting more defined. every once in a while i can see a little muscle popping out haha
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Measuring and taking progress photos at the beginning of every month kept me from going insane when the scale didn't move for 5 months - my body continued to change and I lost inches, so I wasn't as concerned about the scale :)

I think 450 for your entire workout doesn't seem like too much (since you are actually swimming for over an hour) - you can manually check your heart rate to see how high it gets and where it stays, mostly. But as far as eating exercise calories, I would say you're fine to be eating that much or maybe 400 if you're more comfortable with that.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bunches - I use a Polar FT4 HRM. The users manual calls it "water resistant". I wear the chest strap and watch in the pool all the time with no problem - you just can't press the buttons on the watch while you're underwater.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just like you can create your own individual foods, you can also create entries for your own work-out routine in MFP. Then you can use again and again, and not use its generic calorie burn count. :wink:
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in as well MFP is optimistic when assigning swim calories. I usually don't eat them all back...
    Then again it's optimistic for most exercises, but I like that it uses it it as a reward. I could be reading too much into it...
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    An HRM may be waterproof as a watch, but as an HRM it's pretty useless as radio waves don't travel well through water, so with the wearlink transmitter underwater and your watch either underwater or above water depending on your stroke it's just not a great combination for accurate measurement.

I use MFP's values, but take them with a pinch of salt. It makes me look good, but that's why I never eat back all the calories MFP claims I've burnt. I've lost 20kg since I started swimming, although I'm currently maintaining before phase II, so I reckon I'm doing something right!
  • bunches81
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I've been eating back about 1/2 the MFP "calories burned"...i'll have to see how it goes
  • IsNull
    IsNull Posts: 8
    Options
    I started back swimming after some 20 years of being on the bench. I was one of those swim kids that swam year round from 5 - 18. I still maintain a pretty good stroke and turn technique. When I started back I was huffing doing 50 yards free. I have 30 mins 6 days a week before work and other things to get my workout in.

I've worked up to the following set with 10 sec rest between parts:

200 Free
    100 Breast
    5 x 100 IM (Fly, Back, Breast, Free)
    100 Breast
    200 Free
    100 Free kick w/fins
    100 Fly kick w/fins
    100 Free kick w/fins
    100 IM(Fly, Back, Breast, Free)
    100 Free
    100 Breast
    100 Free

I use the "Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort" 30 mins 360 calories for my current 227 lbs.

The following sites tend to agree on the calorie burned so the equation must be common:
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Swimming.htm
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/caloriesBurnedInfo.php?id=534
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedswimming.htm

While a competitive site, LiveStrong has some good articles on swimming:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/455419-swimming-laps-and-calories/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/18842-many-calories-burned-swimming/

Personally I take the 360 and eat them back. I'm on a 1500 calorie a day goal to lose 2lbs a week. Some weeks I lose 1lb, other weeks I'll lose 3. I tend to be good all week, but take one day off to eat Mexican with my daughters on Friday. I tend to leave 40 - 100 calories on the table per day.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've worked up to the following set with 10 sec rest between parts:

200 Free
    100 Breast
    100 Breast
    200 Free
    100 Free kick w/fins
    100 Fly kick w/fins
    100 Free kick w/fins
    100 Free
    100 Breast
    100 Free

I use the "Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort" 30 mins 360 calories for my current 227 lbs.
    Sorry, I'm confused, are these numbers lengths, strokes or what?

Just trying to work out how you fit all that in during a 30min swim??? :noway:
  • IsNull
    IsNull Posts: 8
    Options
    Yards. Short course 25 yard pool. Total 1800 yards, 72 single laps.

It's something I've worked up to. I only have a fixed period of time to swim because I have to get the kids to school, workout, and get to work. So, I started low and have steadily increased the yardage as my stamina has gotten better and I've lost weight. I have a long way to go and it can be inspiring to see the high school age kids on the local year round team practice some. I see that and think, I used to be that good.... some 20 years ago. I can do better... push push push.
  • victorialouisebrooks
    victorialouisebrooks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Swimmers,

I been swimming for 6 months now, and I count lengths, well not anymore, Ive invested in a piece of kit called Poolmate Pro, it counts my lengths, it tells me how many calories I have burnt.

The Pool Mate Pro measures, Laps, stokes, Distance (m) Calories, Efficiently Index and set number. Its brilliant.

There is also a standard Pool mate that does not do the calories and can not log on your PC.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can also add your own exercises to the MFP database so, if you find a calorie tracker that shows what you feel is a more accurate burn, then just add it to your database and use it instead of what MFP has; that way, you can have an accurate exercise count integrated with your food logging.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    200 Free
    100 Breast
    100 Breast
    200 Free
    100 Free kick w/fins
    100 Fly kick w/fins
    100 Free kick w/fins
    100 Free
    100 Breast
    100 Free

1800 YDS in 30 minutes isn't my definition of light/moderate?
    Nice set, and way to knock it out...
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello swimmers! I just joined the group. i have a question about how you track your calories burned....so i used to swim in high school (7 years since i graduated) and i just recently got back into swimming. i've been swimming on a rec team for about 2 months now, usually 2-3x's per week. our practice are about 1-1.5 hr. i've been using "Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort" to track my exercise and usually say for 60 min. i figure i probably rest at the all about 15 min a practice. does this sound about right to anyone? thanks for your advice!!

Hi there
    I bought myself a calorie counting water proof watch, its great for working out your calories burnt and workout time done in the pool.
    It only cost around £8 on Ebay x
  • PeloMichelle
    PeloMichelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Thought I would chime in with this. It has changed my swimming life :bigsmile:

I use a Swimovate Pool Mate watch and absolutely love it! It's kind of a "pedometer" for swimmers. Upon initial set up you enter your pool's length, weight etc....and it tracks your laps, effeciency, calories burned, etc... for you without having to keep track of anything. It's a splurge at $100 but to me well worth the luxury of swimming without thinking of anything and getting my workout stats at the end of my swim.

The watch is made in the UK but they have a service center here in the US for battery replacements, etc... Been completely happy with the purchase.

Michelle
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I just use 'Swimming - Leisurely/General for everything'

I usually do an hour of swimming lengths repeating 2 x Freestyle and 1 x Breaststroke so I figure this represents a slight under-estimate rather than the usual MFP over-estimate