Diablo 3 - Inferno Mode

Options
kapeluza
kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
Who is currently in this mode? How far have you gotten?

HOW the hell have you gotten that far? Which class are you playing?

Have you found any worthy drops in inferno mode?

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

I have to keep running from a damn fire zombie that gains health when I go toe to toe with it. I haven't started in with the bats yet. LOL
    I am a level 32 barbarian.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I have to keep running from a damn fire zombie that gains health when I go toe to toe with it. I haven't started in with the bats yet. LOL

I'm 100% positive you're not in Inferno then at level 32... are you in Nightmare? There are 4 levels of difficulty (normal, nightmare, hell and inferno) and also 4 acts that you play through on each difficulty (the same 4 each time). Nightmare will become easier as you get better gear and level up!

As for the topic: A few of my friends rushed to 60 after release and have been doing inferno, and they all have found at least 1 super awesome legendary to wear. Some have also complained that it's just insanely difficult, and that melee classes are awful because of how hard mobs hit. Also resistance gear is mandatory. I have a L51 Wizard and I'm in Hell Act 1... I don't play that much and I have fun leveling different characters as well (and I sort of spend a lot of time chatting with people...) I typically like to play in groups because half the time I don't feel like kiting and the Templar is terrible at keeping things off me. Plus it's way more fun with people! I only play with friends though, I hate public groups.
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I got to Act III on Inferno mode, how did I get there, you ask?
    I got there with lots of yelling, screaming and more yelling every 15seconds when you die.... and the rest was just luck

Inferno mode was made where people will use the RMAH so they can progress.

probably the best drop I found was Andariel's Visage (Legendary Helm), but it was pretty useless to me so I sold it at the AH.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

I'm 100% positive you're not in Inferno then at level 32... are you in Nightmare? There are 4 levels of difficulty (normal, nightmare, hell and inferno) and also 4 acts that you play through on each difficulty (the same 4 each time). Nightmare will become easier as you get better gear and level up!

As for the topic: A few of my friends rushed to 60 after release and have been doing inferno, and they all have found at least 1 super awesome legendary to wear. Some have also complained that it's just insanely difficult, and that melee classes are awful because of how hard mobs hit. Also resistance gear is mandatory. I have a L51 Wizard and I'm in Hell Act 1... I don't play that much and I have fun leveling different characters as well (and I sort of spend a lot of time chatting with people...) I typically like to play in groups because half the time I don't feel like kiting and the Templar is terrible at keeping things off me. Plus it's way more fun with people! I only play with friends though, I hate public groups.
    You are 100% right. I am on Nightmare. I can't imagine Inferno.
  • Karlsmit
    Karlsmit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    this would explain all the noise coming from my boyfriend's office...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Demon Hunter level 60 currently in Inferno mode. I have completed act 1 but cannot do act 2 due to the tremendous gear requirements. I am dual wielding 2 800-850 dps 1h xbows I bought off AH. My other gear is mostly a combination of stuff that dropped in Acts 3-4 of Hell mode and a few drops in Inferno mode.

I've hit something of a brick wall as far as the fun factor goes because the only way to progress any further is to farm tirelessly for gear and I honestly don't have the patience to do that. This has always been my problem with games like this as well as MMOs. The games are tremendously gear dependent at higher levels to the point where skill is not so much a factor as gear. And once you reach max level in most of those types of games, you reach a point where you have to spend what seems like ages running the same content over and over and over again acquiring gear through either drops or gold you farmed. I never make it past this point because it makes playing the game into a chore that is only made mildly entertaining by the company you keep in the game's social aspect. I don't really have any such company, so I'm putting my level 60 on hiatus until I make some friends I can consistently play with who don't take the game too seriously while I level an alt, possibly in hardcore mode.

I have not had a single thing drop that was worth keeping or even putting up on AH. Every single drop I've seen was salvage fodder.

I found playing at lower levels to be much more fun because you weren't worried about farming for gear and you had the luxury of being able to experiment with different builds and skills. Level 60 content doesn't leave any real room for customization as every class only has a few viable builds which work and are all so heavily gear dependent. As a level 60 in Inferno mode you have a sense that you're required to do everything a certain, specific way in order to succeed, with no room to play around. Well, if it's a game, how come I can't "play" around? That's what you do in games, right?

I dunno, it just seems like the game was designed to be more of a stepping stone to get people to transition from traditional RPGs to WoW, a game I stopped playing years ago because the company I kept was the only thing that kept the game fun for me. The content itself as a max level player didn't feel like a "game" at all because I wasn't free to play the game my way and still be successful at anything.
  • kapeluza
    Options
    I got there with lots of yelling, screaming and more yelling every 15seconds when you die.... and the rest was just luck

probably the best drop I found was Andariel's Visage (Legendary Helm), but it was pretty useless to me so I sold it at the AH.
    My husband is going literally bat sh%t crazy in inferno mode. It's hard!!!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

About the resistance gear being mandatory thing...

I don't know about other classes but currently the Demon Hunters farming Acts 3-4 are running with glass cannon gear putting out godly DPS but having crap for survivability. The reason why is because DHs have no mitigation through skills while apparently other classes do. The end result is that the survivability acquired from gear alone by stacking vitality and resist are not enough to keep you from getting one shotted by elite/champion mobs and bosses in acts 2 and beyond, so the only way to beat them is burn them down while kiting. According to the Demon Hunter forum Blizzard has stated that they're aware the damage output of mobs later on in the game is out of hand and will be adjusted in patch 1.0.3 but I cannot find any such post from a Blizzard rep. For right now though the only way to play is to kite kite kite while dealing ridiculous amounts of damage from range and praying you don't get hit by any ranged attacks by cleverly timing your use of vault and SS.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

My husband is going literally bat sh%t crazy in inferno mode. It's hard!!!

From what I see in my experience Inferno mode is not hard at all. It is simply a gear grind. The object is to acquire the gear needed to completely nullify the increased damage/health the NPCs have. The added "difficulty" if you can even call it that is nothing more than a gear check.

Most modern games from what I see have forgotten what difficulty and challenge actually are. They throw a "difficulty" increase at you that simply takes time invested via farming/grinding to get over. More time consuming does not = harder. Difficulty requires skill to beat. Gear checks simply require farming. Once you acquire the gear needed to progress through the later acts of Inferno difficulty, you have reduced the difficulty to that of Hell mode via your gear.

I wish the game was challenging as in actually mentally and tactically challenging rather than simply making you farm for gear and calling that challenging.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Demon Hunter level 60 currently in Inferno mode. I have completed act 1 but cannot do act 2 due to the tremendous gear requirements. I am dual wielding 2 800-850 dps 1h xbows I bought off AH. My other gear is mostly a combination of stuff that dropped in Acts 3-4 of Hell mode and a few drops in Inferno mode.

Good lord.... My main char is a demon hunter and I am at a measily Level 22 right now. How are you calculating DPS? Are you just looking at the xbows? My xbows are delivering a meager 22 DPS each. I have a 44dps bow waiting for me when I level up some more but I've never seen a bow that even approaches 100 dps.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    the DPS number on the xbows themselves.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    About the resistance gear being mandatory thing...

I don't know about other classes but currently the Demon Hunters farming Acts 3-4 are running with glass cannon gear putting out godly DPS but having crap for survivability. The reason why is because DHs have no mitigation through skills while apparently other classes do. The end result is that the survivability acquired from gear alone by stacking vitality and resist are not enough to keep you from getting one shotted by elite/champion mobs and bosses in acts 2 and beyond, so the only way to beat them is burn them down while kiting. According to the Demon Hunter forum Blizzard has stated that they're aware the damage output of mobs later on in the game is out of hand and will be adjusted in patch 1.0.3 but I cannot find any such post from a Blizzard rep. For right now though the only way to play is to kite kite kite while dealing ridiculous amounts of damage from range and praying you don't get hit by any ranged attacks by cleverly timing your use of vault and SS.

I'm sorry, I meant for melee classes! Ranged classes generally have to be able to kite because they don't have a built in 30% damage reduction like melee does (or so I was told). I think all my ranged friends in Inferno said that they get 1-2 shot no matter what, so they just stack tons and tons of damage. I'm able to take quite a beating on my wizard in hell due to higher than average health and diamond skin, but I've read that diamond skin is going to be pretty much useless as my "oh crap!" button in Inferno.

I do find it funny that melee is doing so terribly in higher levels, I kind of thought that's how it would go from my NM experiences. I would play with a demon hunter, a barbarian and a monk, and the barb and monk would CONSTANTLY die early in a fight (monks can heal how was he dying?), while the DH and I would just kite in circles and kill the rest of the mobs "No big deal guys!". It was amusing to me how often that exact situation happened.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I had a Monk in Inferno but stop playing it due to the fact Blizzard nerfed it into the ground.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Mid Act I, Inferno. Barb. How I got there? Carried ^_^V

While the bosses prove to be relatively easy, the elite mobs are insane. Vortex, waller, arcane charged, poison, motlen... :noway:

Mhmm... tbh I only got to lv 60 on Sunday though. Had like 2hrs of play Mon & Tues nights and got where I am right now. Had issues with the AH the past 2 nights & am hoping tt w/e issues they have will be solved so I can go get that weapon I need. Been too focussed on survival for Hell and it looks like now it's time to get some dps in. Can't... kill... anything (so far, tt job has been done by my regular DH & monk(s) "followers") argghhhh!! And yeah, being melee, I'll need those resist gear too.

Speaking abt DHs being class canons. It nvr fails to amuse me, when my DH "follower" dies to some explosion or to a charge attack :laugh:
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Mid Act I, Inferno. Barb. How I got there? Carried ^_^V

While the bosses prove to be relatively easy, the elite mobs are insane. Vortex, waller, arcane charged, poison, motlen... :noway:

Mhmm... tbh I only got to lv 60 on Sunday though. Had like 2hrs of play Mon & Tues nights and got where I am right now. Had issues with the AH the past 2 nights & am hoping tt w/e issues they have will be solved so I can go get that weapon I need. Been too focussed on survival for Hell and it looks like now it's time to get some dps in. Can't... kill... anything (so far, tt job has been done by my regular DH & monk(s) "followers") argghhhh!! And yeah, being melee, I'll need those resist gear too.

Speaking abt DHs being class canons. It nvr fails to amuse me, when my DH "follower" dies to some explosion or to a charge attack :laugh:

That's the way it is. DH have no damage mitigation through skills unlike other classes so we are entirely reliant upon gear for it. The problem isthat the mobs in A2 and beyond hit you so hard that the amount of mitigation available through gear alone is not sufficient to keep you from getting one shotted. So glass cannon is the only viable way to play until itemization is fixed and we now have the option if going for survivability.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    That's the way it is. DH have no damage mitigation through skills unlike other classes so we are entirely reliant upon gear for it. The problem isthat the mobs in A2 and beyond hit you so hard that the amount of mitigation available through gear alone is not sufficient to keep you from getting one shotted. So glass cannon is the only viable way to play until itemization is fixed and we now have the option if going for survivability.

Something I wonder though. If DH players are given the option to lose some of their insane dps in exchange for survivability, would the majority do that? Those that I know (4 players of max lvl) seem to be happy being glass canons in co-op play. My regular DH minion, has 2 sets of gear, one for solo play and one that's pure dps if he comes with us (me + 2 other monks). Crazy guy doesn't even have 10k hp in his co-op gear :noway:
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is in Inferno - he's farming Act I to be able to do Act II - that seems to be the only way to do it (he's barb). Apparently +all resistance is the way to go. I rerolled monk so I'm behind (Got my WD to mid-Hell before rerolling) but we have a nice passive that should make Inferno a little more possible.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Something I wonder though. If DH players are given the option to lose some of their insane dps in exchange for survivability, would the majority do that? Those that I know (4 players of max lvl) seem to be happy being glass canons in co-op play. My regular DH minion, has 2 sets of gear, one for solo play and one that's pure dps if he comes with us (me + 2 other monks). Crazy guy doesn't even have 10k hp in his co-op gear :noway:

Well that presents another problem. The Act bosses all feature enrage timers where you have to DPS them down to beat the clock. If DH's sacrifice some of their DPS for survivability they won't be able to do this, not without uber-expensive gear (crossbows that are currently AHing for upwards of 50m a pop, etc). Our DPS is not as insane as what a WD is capable of in short bursts.
    My boyfriend is in Inferno - he's farming Act I to be able to do Act II - that seems to be the only way to do it (he's barb). Apparently +all resistance is the way to go. I rerolled monk so I'm behind (Got my WD to mid-Hell before rerolling) but we have a nice passive that should make Inferno a little more possible.

Bad idea. Monk and Barbarian are the worst classes in Inferno right now and strictly melee groups are unable to clear the boss encounters. You should have stuck with your WD. The game is simply not playable right now in Inferno mode for melee classes until a few issues are addressed. All the barbarian/monk players are rerolling ranged classes because kiting via ranged DPS is the ONLY way to play Inferno right now. The main problem is that the amount of damage mitigation possible to attain in the game's current state will only allow you to go from being one shotted to being two shotted by the mobs in A2 and beyond. The only way to play the game is to keep from getting hit at all and that's an option that melee players simply don't have.
  • kapeluza
    Options

Well that presents another problem. The Act bosses all feature enrage timers where you have to DPS them down to beat the clock. If DH's sacrifice some of their DPS for survivability they won't be able to do this, not without uber-expensive gear (crossbows that are currently AHing for upwards of 50m a pop, etc). Our DPS is not as insane as what a WD is capable of in short bursts.

Bad idea. Monk and Barbarian are the worst classes in Inferno right now and strictly melee groups are unable to clear the boss encounters. You should have stuck with your WD. The game is simply not playable right now in Inferno mode for melee classes until a few issues are addressed. All the barbarian/monk players are rerolling ranged classes because kiting via ranged DPS is the ONLY way to play Inferno right now. The main problem is that the amount of damage mitigation possible to attain in the game's current state will only allow you to go from being one shotted to being two shotted by the mobs in A2 and beyond. The only way to play the game is to keep from getting hit at all and that's an option that melee players simply don't have.

You are right, melee seems to be having serious issues in inferno mode.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    As a DH your only real survivability will come not from gear but from use/abuse of abilities that are heavily discipline dependent. Therefore the only way to survive is by stacking +crit gear and choosing a passive talent we have called night stalker that regens your discipline on crits. Because of the fact that you're stacking +crit, a side effect is also tremendous damage output.