Why taking your measurements count

Options
JRIV60
JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
I wanted to share with you what a difference a month makes in regards to inches gained/lost. I took my measurements on January 6th and again tonight, February 10th.

Date 1/06
Weigh In 197
Neck 12.88
Chest 41
Bicep 13.25
Waist 34.5
Belly Button 41.25
Pooch 46
Hips/Buns 48.5
Up. Thigh 30
Mid Thigh 24
Calf 17

Date 2/10
Weigh In 195.2
Neck 12.75
Chest 41.5
Bicep 12.75
Waist 34
Belly Button 41
Pooch 44.25
Hips/Buns 47.75
Up. Thigh 27.5
Mid Thigh 23
Calf 17

If you notice I have only lost 1.8 pounds but I've lost a total of 8.675 inches.

Jo

Replies

• Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i agree. My friend and i did our measurements last Monday and took pics. We are going to do it all again in a month. I will post then when we have revisited them. Congrats on your loss for 1 month!!!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Great job! Maybe I should do all my measurements. I've just been doing my waist and I've already seen 4" disappear!
  • ummommyme
    Options
    Yay for measurements. I weighed and measured today for the month. I'm doing this each month and i'm very pleased. I've lost 5.4lbs this month and 4.125in. from all over except my arms. My arm got 2/8 bigger. So an inch was from my waist and 2.25 from my chest. Not the boobs though, the cup seems to be the same but i'm wearing smaller bras. Yay, total of 10 lb loss for this year. Cant wait to see what another month brings. So who else is measuring and what are you seeing?
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    So fantastic!!! Congrats!

Can I ask a dumb question? When you measure your tummy and pooch, do you stand straight up (which kinda naturally "sucks it in") or do you allow it to all hang out? I never quite know how to measure properly.... ya know?
  • JRIV60
    Options
    So fantastic!!! Congrats!

Can I ask a dumb question? When you measure your tummy and pooch, do you stand straight up (which kinda naturally "sucks it in") or do you allow it to all hang out? I never quite know how to measure properly.... ya know?

Me personally, I stand erect and have the hubby take my measurements.
  • joanne806
    joanne806 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I stand naturally being careful not to suck in! I wanna know my "true" measurement if you know what I mean!
  • ummommyme
    Options
    My stomach is huge and i suck in the natural way i do. Nothing crazy just the holding in of the giant pooch. You know stand tall and support yourself with your abs and back sort of sucking in. I've always done that since it's the biggest part of me. So for measuring I decided to suck in the natural way i normally do. If i didn't i don't think i could bear to see the number. I hope to be able to do it without sucking in at some point.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My stomach is huge and i suck in the natural way i do. Nothing crazy just the holding in of the giant pooch. You know stand tall and support yourself with your abs and back sort of sucking in. I've always done that since it's the biggest part of me. So for measuring I decided to suck in the natural way i normally do. If i didn't i don't think i could bear to see the number. I hope to be able to do it without sucking in at some point.

Yes, exactly! That's what I mean..... I'm not "trying" to suck it in but when I stand straight up with good posture it just kinda goes with it, you know? That's what I've been doing with my measurements..... well, the ONE time I've taken them so far! ;)
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue that measurements proved my progress. I'm down 18lbs but been at a plateau on weight for almost 2 months, but my inches and shape have changed dramatically. I'll post pictures once I get a current one.
  • ummommyme
    Options
    I'm having the same issue that measurements proved my progress. I'm down 18lbs but been at a plateau on weight for almost 2 months, but my inches and shape have changed dramatically. I'll post pictures once I get a current one.
    Yay, would love to see the pics!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Yay, would love to see the pics!

Going to have some up soon. :-)
  • JRIV60
    Options
    I wanted to share with you my 4 month comparison in regards to inches gained/lost. I took my measurements on January 6th and again on May 6th. If you do not currently take measurements I strongly recommend you do. The scale can often be misleading due to so many factors but measurements do not lie.

Date 1/06
    Weigh In 197
    Neck 12 7/8
    Chest 41
    Bicep 13 1/4
    Waist 34 1/5
    Belly Button 41 1/4
    Pooch 46
    Hips/Buns 48 1/2
    Up. Thigh 30
    Mid Thigh 24
    Calf 17
    Body Fat 41%

Date 5/6
    Weigh In 189.2
    Neck 12 1/2
    Chest 40 3/8 (noooooooooo) lol
    Bicep 12 1/4
    Waist 32 7/8
    Belly Button 40 5/8
    Pooch 46 3/8
    Hips/Buns 45 1/8
    Up. Thigh 29 7/8
    Mid Thigh 24 3/8
    Calf 15 3/8
    Body Fat 39.2%

If you notice I have only lost 7.8 pounds in 4 months but I've lost a total of 8.625 inches and lowered my body fat by 1.8%. This has been a slow process for me but it works and I am comfortable with what I am doing.
    Now that I am incorporating a weekly rep challenge with weights I am eager to take my measurements in June.

I encourage you to post your comparisons on this thread or a new one to give all of motivation to keep trekking along.

Jo
  • alscompass
    alscompass Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thank you for posting (and all of you for sharing)....It's crazy how much madness/agony/stress the scale can give you! Good reminder that healthy living is more than just the number on the scale...it's about how you feel and how things are fitting. Great job ladies.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Finally bought a proper measuring tape. Not sure if I am ready to see the (ugly) truth... (-: Should have measured back in January to see the difference. Oh well..
  • JRIV60
    Options
    Finally bought a proper measuring tape. Not sure if I am ready to see the (ugly) truth... (-: Should have measured back in January to see the difference. Oh well..

Start today with the tape and measure again at the end of June. It is totally worth it!
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I didn't measure when I started and I so wish I did. I can physically see the change and the weight has started to come off. The issue I have with the scale was nuts. I weighed 270 on friday morning. I played a total of 7 hours of softball and 5 in the heat of the day saturday. I weighed sunday morning when I got up and I weighed 280. I was pissed. I checked again this morning and I was back to 270. I can only guess I was holding fluids because of the extreme heat and running I put in that my body was trying to prepare for it the next day.