Can we do a June challenge?

Options
jessicawrites
jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
So I'm working on the last few pounds and want to tone up my arms and abs for the honeymoon. I also have yoga and general fitness Groupons that I need to use before they expire, so June's shaping up to be an exercise-heavy month. On the other hand, I will still be working my full-time and part-time jobs, taking an independent study, and of course planning the wedding. Basically, I can use all the help I can get to stay accountable. Anyone else feeling the pressure and in need of a friendly word of encouragement or kick in the pants is welcome to jump in! Any level welcome.

My June goals:

-Exercise 4 times a week (including 1 morning a week so I can have an evening here and there to chill!)
-Try kettlebells and Zumba for the first time
-Lose 4 pounds

Replies

• tabatha_burris
    Options
    My goal is to lose 4lbs by the end of June! I want to workout at lease 30 mins 5 days a week. Keep my house as clean as can be and cook healthy for every meal! I want to focus mostly on my thighs and tummy!! I am going to Texas July 7th and I need a bading suit the way I feel now I dont even wanna go look at a bading suit! I wanna be able to get a 2 piece so I have till July to get ready!
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Sounds great! What kind of workouts are your favorites?
  • itsobviouslyhil
    Options
    Accountability is soooo necessary for me, if it's just me on my own I am the biggest flounder. Fi and I are doing a 5k mud run June 16, so we're going to start training for that tomorrow. Other than getting stronger and trying to gain endurance so I don't embarrass myself in front of lots of strangers (lol), my numbers goal is to drop about 6 pounds by the end of June :)

We've got this :)
  • tattooedmaiden
    Options
    Hey ladies! I would love to join a June challenge--I'm getting married right around then and would love to slim down these last few pounds. I've technically met my weight loss goals after dropping twenty pounds over the last year, but I'd love to be that willowy-kind-of-thin for the big day!
    Doing the Slim Fast plan to keep myself on an easy-to-follow regimen, plus keeping up with the 30 Day Shred (been doing that for about two weeks).
    Sounds like you girls have realistic goals and good motivation! I'm excited about accountability!
  • itsobviouslyhil
    Options
    Ooh, what's your opinion on the 30 day shred? Contemplating it, but not sure if I want to spend the money yet. Have you seen any results in the two weeks you've been on it?
  • tattooedmaiden
    Options
    I totally have, yes! I've only dropped two pounds, but I'm pretty sure it's because I've gained muscle--I look super toned, especially in my arms and tummy. I've had like a permanent indentation for years from always wearing lowrise jeans, right on my low hip--chub below and above it, so gross! But after two weeks the chub is GONE and my hips are evenly slim. You lose inches like crazy--I dropped from a ten to an eight, which at 5'11" I'm pretty thrilled with! And at twenty minutes only a day, I'm actually consistent with it! You can find it at Target for ten bucks--I definitely recommend it!
    How are you training for your mud run? I've heard those are crazy fun!
  • go4itjoanna
    go4itjoanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would love to be part of the challenge! I am getting married on June 27th in Spain and we leave for Spain on June 21st. So I have from now until then to slim down. Honestly? I would love to lose 8 pounds. I think that will be real hard since I have been losing at a slow and steady pace. BUT with that said I am making June "The No Excuses" month. This coming week I have SOOOOO much work but come next week I will only have to work part time up until the wedding.

- My goal is to work out daily for no less than 30 minutes.
    - Continue the 30 day shred (I am on day 5).
    - Mit it up with some TurboFire, as well as heavy weights, walking and dancing with my 15 month old!
    - Eat as clean as possible.

I am allowed to skip everything is during my bachelorette party and the day after. Other than that I want to be in control of the coming weeks.

I would love to lose 8 pounds as I mentioned but if I can do 5 I will be happy.
    I am 6'1". So I think it could be done. What do you think?

Please feel free to friend me.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am happily married and trying to get bikinisuited for June. I need someone who is extremely dedicated to log daily and exercise 6 times a week this includes ME! I would love to support and feel supported daily!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to get to 100 by June. Struggling with 108 and TOM. Brazilian Butt LIft Program week 2 started today, elliptical and lots of walking!
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Woohoo, we have a group! Hope everyone is geared up :). Since June starts out with a weekend, my first goal is to (finally) eat healthy on a weekend, and work out twice. Goodness knows I need it after the past wonderful Memorial Day weekend of Thrasher's fries and Candy Kitchen fudge!
  • tattooedmaiden
    Options
    Weekend eating can be rough! Vacation eating as well. I'm visiting my mother and DEAR GOD does she cook!!!! I'm really grateful for the Slim Fast plan and 30 Day Shred right now--the plan gives me a valid reason to turn down homemade fried chicken and potato salad, and the shred is something to do instead of eat. I've bumped that up to twice a day with three pound weights for the June challenge.
    Have you tried planning your meals in advance, Jessica? That helps me stay on track.
  • leenors
    leenors Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!!

I signed up for a bootcamp studio nearby - and it's hardcore! The instructor is a marine corps drill instructor. They had an introductory special so I signed up for the month ($30 for 30 days). I went last night and.... hardest workout of my LIFE. Everything hurts. The warmup alone was more than I have ever worked out... ever! My calves feel like they can charlie horse at any moment, and I can barely walk.... but I have pilates tonight and I am determined to go!

I plan on continuing and doing the bootcamp thing at least 2x a week... my goal is to lose 15lbs by July 13th (when my dress comes in). But for June, I hope to lose 7-10 lbs.

Also, I am on herbalife smoothies - I was on it for 2-3 weeks (with some cheating here and there) and lost 5 lbs.

Good luck, bride to be's!
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Sounds great! What kind of workouts are your favorites?

I have a workout video that I do!! It has a lot of lunges and squats in it and then a bunch of cardio to keep you moving to get your heart rate up but I gotta start doing more tummy things bc it doesnt have alot of your ab muscle. Have any suggestions?
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Tattoedmaide, planning my meals has been a HUGE help during the week. I think my trouble has been partly that because I lead youth group on Sunday, I eat with the kids, which means pizza or fried chicken most times, and I would often buy lunch on Sunday instead of bring something to church. The other part is that because I've had Saturday in mind as my one day off, I think I go into "celebration mode" and get too lax with my eating. I probably should plan a weekend more carefully and see how that helps!

Tabatha, I love yoga for abs. I also love/hate the 3-minute ab exercise my fiance taught me (his toned tummy is my inspiration!):
    -30 seconds regular crunches
    -30 seconds side-to-side crunches
    -30 seconds kick-outs (extend your legs so they're about 45 degrees, lower them to a few inches off the floor, bend your knees to curl your legs in toward your chest, and stretch back out to 45 degrees)
    -30 seconds straight leg lifts
    -30 seconds hold your legs out straight about 2-3 inches off the floor
    -30 seconds bicycle

Oh, and you can't let your feet touch the ground in the whole 3 minutes:ohwell: . It's brutal, but darned if it isn't effective!
  • tattooedmaiden
    Options
    Ouch, I can see how youth group eating would be tough to resist--it's like a mini-party! And yeah, Saturday celebration mode is problematic--I get into a similar mindset when I go out with girlfriends and think "oh sure, I can split a couple of pitchers of sangria or margaritas, and hey why not a few pieces of garlic flatbread, and ahhh why not pot roast and carrot cake!" ...well okay that is an exaggeration but still, social situations are so detrimental to my willpower!!!
    Hope all of you ladies are rocking your week thus far! <3
  • Libby0891
    Libby0891 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I'd love to be a part of the June challenge. I've been way too lax with my diet lately, and I need to start exercising more. Here are my June goals:

1. Log five workouts a week. (I'm counting any sustained exercise 30 minutes or longer as a workout.) This is going to be a tough one for me because I'm pretty busy during the work week.

2. Clean up my weekends! I need to watch my eats and not indulge in too much weekend wine or beer. I think weekends have been derailing my diet recently.

3. Keep an eye on sugar, sodium and carbs. I'm all for all things in moderation, but I need to moderate these three things more than I do now.

Good luck to everyone!
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Hells yes to all of these, Libby! May's been a rough month for me for eating right (my birthday, Mother's Day, Memorial Day weekend, and my fiance's birthday). I've gained back almost everything I lost by not exercising enough and indulging way too much on weekends on all the greasy, salty, sugary food my little mouth could hold.

So to all the June challenge ladies, we start tomorrow! I'm thinking the easiest way to hold each other accountable and support each other is by posting to the thread, but pick whatever day is best for you to update! I am going to try and update twice a week, on Mondays and Fridays. Since weekends are my biggest downfall, bookending every weekend with a report to all of you may be the best way for me to go. So that means my first update is due to you....tomorrow! Eep:tongue:
  • Libby0891
    Libby0891 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good plan, Jessicawrites! I think I'll post updates on Fridays and Tuesdays (I also struggle through the weekends, so it'll be good for me to post on Fridays to keep myself accountable before weekend madness takes over). I'm excited to start a new month and get back on track.
  • tattooedmaiden
    Options
    So excited!!!
    I picked up Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown yesterday--duuuuuuuude!!!! Doing the Shred in the morning and the Meltdown at night. I've done a bit of yoga in the past but this is "aerobic yoga"--thirty intense minutes designed to tone and burn calories. I really dig working on my flexibility and balance, plus it's nice to have some variety. Anyone else tried it??
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    I haven't done any of Jillian's DVDs, but I recently got into hot yoga (not quite full-out Bikram, but a 90-degree room is plenty for me!). It's great stuff, and I like that the whole body gets attention.