Protein Poweder Recommendations

Options
emgel9
emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
Hi Everyone!

I recently started focusing on upping my protein intake to hit at least 95g a day (my calculated lean muscle mass). I was a little wary of the whole protein shake thing at first so I started off nice and easy with the Myoplex Lite shakes (all ready to drink from the fridge!), but they are only 20g of protein and 170 calories. I think I would like a powder with a few more grams of protein and that can be put in smoothies, mixed with almond milk...etc. Since the protein powders are so expensive I wanted to get some feedback and recs before investing in one! So, which are your favs/taste the best with the best nutrients?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I by the CytoSport MusclMilk from costco in 6lb bags for 39.99.

Its a good deal, 50g of protein and 300 calories in a shake (with two scoops)
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't have a Costco membership thought...any other recs??
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't have a Costco membership thought...any other recs??
    Target sells Pure Protein - 50g 280 calories for 19.99 for 2lbs
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love Jay Robb-vanilla whey protein powder- it's cold processed and comes from farm-raised, pasture-grazed, grass-fed cows not treated with the synthetic bovine growth hormone rBGH.

There are only 5 ingredients and stevia is used for sweetener.

It's 25gms of protein per scoop- only 100 calories- (almost all calories from protein with 1gm carb)

Best part is that it tastes GOOD- I've tried several and nothing is as good as this- my usual is blended strawberries and milk and a scoop of powder. I've also done fresh squeezed OJ and a scoop of powder.

It's a tad pricier, but worth it to me for taste and quality.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I have tried 2 different kinds of proteins, but I like the isolate and the more 0 fat low carb low cal proteins.. The 2 I tried are Protein Factory's (www.proteinfactory.com) lean whey protein, they are a bit more expensive because you have to pay for shipping but its about $12-14/lb based on flavor (110 cal, 1 carb, 0 fat, 25 protein). The other one is the MGN Pure Isolate Whey Protein (again 110 cal, 0 fat, 1 carb, 25 protein) which you can find for cheaper in some stores or online (I got 10lb for $85). Both mix well with just water or milk or anything else I have tried (fruits, etc).. the MGN is a bit sweeter though since I didn't add any sweetener to the protein factory one.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am using BluBonnet Whey Protein Isolate-love it :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Kaizen *naturals* in decadent chocolate because it makes delicious pancakes, doesn't have many ingredients, no artificial flavours, pesticides, GMO or hormones and it uses Stevia (there's no added sugar). 1 sugar, 1 carb, 1 fat,. 24 g protein in a 29.4 g scoop. 105 cals. Lactose free, gluten free.

info: http://www.kaizennaturals.com/flavours/decadent-chocolate_isolate.html
  • gonzohazel
    gonzohazel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree that Jay Robb vanilla is awesome. Go to www.smartbodynutrition.com. They have great prices on it. Ships fast also.
    My second choice would be Only protein.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard

This review is super intuitive and convinced me that its the best out there.
    http://www.amazon.com/review/RUKNVFK4ADF7O/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000QSNYGI&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

My 2 cents.