Running technique is making it so much easier !!

Options
tabinmaine
tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
Been playing around with the Chi Running techniques and man do they make a HUGE difference, almost seems effortless and my lower back and shin pain was non existant. I have been trying to run a full mile without stopping for 5 months now, finally achieved it today.

Just wanted to share because we are all struggling here and trying to get through 5K without stopping !! :happy:

http://www.active.com/women/Articles/5-Elements-of-Chi-Running.htm

Replies

• sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Been playing around with the Chi Running techniques and man do they make a HUGE difference, almost seems effortless and my lower back and shin pain was non existant. I have been trying to run a full mile without stopping for 5 months now, finally achieved it today.

Just wanted to share because we are all struggling here and trying to get through 5K without stopping !! :happy:

http://www.active.com/women/Articles/5-Elements-of-Chi-Running.htm

Thank you so much! I've just started and really needing help with my form to reduce knee pain. I'll try to remember these points.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    welcome... it really does work, I can not believe how great I feel, the pain is gone when I run...and afterwards I don't feel stiff or beat up.
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    awesome tips! I definitely think form makes the difference in whether I make it through a run or not. Any personal tips on what specific change made the biggest difference for you?
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    awesome tips! I definitely think form makes the difference in whether I make it through a run or not. Any personal tips on what specific change made the biggest difference for you?

I was thinking the same...

Is it the lean and/or focusing on putting all the energy in your core?

I tried looking for other links with tips on chi running, but was mostly getting that you need to be taught it.
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This will be beneficial in the long run, but man is it killing me now! lol My calves are not fond of the midfoot strike and forward lean just yet. :P
  • strawberrygashes
    Options
    I am a mid foot strike runner anyway... but the leaning forward I find kind of odd, maybe it's because I'm not sure if I'm doing it properly lol
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This will be beneficial in the long run, but man is it killing me now! lol My calves are not fond of the midfoot strike and forward lean just yet. :P

Oh man this was me last night too! I tried implementing the techniques but my calves were really burning.
  • strawberrygashes
    Options

Oh man this was me last night too! I tried implementing the techniques but my calves were really burning.

Could it be that it isn't suited to everyone?

I do get the whole engaging your core thing, because I do do that sometimes when the going gets tough and it helps me.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Only started C25K this week and noticed I was leaning forwards, probably as my usual sport is hiking, so I'm used to leaning forward scrambling up slopes with a heavy rucksack on my back. Thought I was doing something wrong but perhaps my body is doing what it's supposed to do!
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Just ran 5 miles tonight..... not even following the Couch 2 5K plan anymore..... it's amazing....

What made the difference for me was the shoulders back, keeping them loose and stepping underneath my hips.... shortening my stride so I can not see my feet when I am running, I hold my lower abs in and tilt my pelvis.... almost feels like I am leaning back...but my posture is so poor that I am probably just running upright and straight.

The leaning from the ankles thing is just a 1/4" at first for beginners, it becomes more as you progress and pick up speed.... don't worry about the leaning part right now...

Think core, pelvis, shoulders back and relaxed and pretend someone has a line attached to the top of your head and is lifting you up as you run, keep your feet underneath you, your elbow, hip and foot should line up......
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options

The leaning from the ankles thing is just a 1/4" at first for beginners, it becomes more as you progress and pick up speed.... don't worry about the leaning part right now...

Think core, pelvis, shoulders back and relaxed and pretend someone has a line attached to the top of your head and is lifting you up as you run, keep your feet underneath you, your elbow, hip and foot should line up......

Thank you again. I walked/jogged this morning, trying to remember the chi points, but had trouble standing tall and straight with shoulders back... yet leaning forward? I spent the entire time trying to figure out if I was doing anything right. On the plus side, my knees didn't hurt this time (big progress)! So I appreciate your explanation above. Friday morning I'll forget the lean and probably enjoy myself a lot more!
  • strawberrygashes
    Options
    Thanks for explaining the tips better. I will try to remember them on my next run (as I'm also doing a 'free run' before moving onto week 6)

So the main things to remember are: engage core, shoulders back and relaxed, short stride with feet under you, straight back. Is that right?
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Thanks for explaining the tips better. I will try to remember them on my next run (as I'm also doing a 'free run' before moving onto week 6)

So the main things to remember are: engage core, shoulders back and relaxed, short stride with feet under you, straight back. Is that right?

Yes, when you tilt your pelvis under you ( think sitting on your tailbone rather than your crotch) you will find your legs loose and under you more, almost like you are running on the spot .... I try to loosen my legs and let them just follow along... almost as though they are detached from me, and run lightly...

It takes months to perfect this.... I have to constantly go through the things in my head... belly breathing shoulders back, tilt pelvis, loosen shoulders... belly breathing... etc etc.....

One thing I noticed last night than when I am belly breathing, my belly sticks out like I am pregnant, and with my shoulders back I really look pregnant....but so what, it's comfortable haha
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    also, the midfoot strike will be MUCH easier when you are keeping your feet underneath you, you heel strike when you are reaching out in front of your body with a long stride, shorten that stride and land midfoot .... :)

Your calves should not be burning... if they are, you are leaning too far forward

I really recommend everyone buy a copy of "Chi Running" in a hard copy or for their Nook.... just started reading it last night, so much more to this than what I could find online for free....
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting!
  • strawberrygashes
    Options
    also, the midfoot strike will be MUCH easier when you are keeping your feet underneath you, you heel strike when you are reaching out in front of your body with a long stride, shorten that stride and land midfoot .... :)

Your calves should not be burning... if they are, you are leaning too far forward

I really recommend everyone buy a copy of "Chi Running" in a hard copy or for their Nook.... just started reading it last night, so much more to this than what I could find online for free....

I think I already implemented some of these earlier without realizing because I found it made my runs easier. I mid foot strike and started taking smaller strides early on. I also belly breathe/engage abs, and that's something I did from early on. I started to hula hoop a few weeks ago and for some of the hula moves you have to REALLY engage your abs/core, which can make you look pregnant lol but makes you a much better hooper.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    So has anyone tried it, did you feel different ? Results ??
  • tabinmaine
    Options

I think I already implemented some of these earlier without realizing because I found it made my runs easier. I mid foot strike and started taking smaller strides early on. I also belly breathe/engage abs, and that's something I did from early on. I started to hula hoop a few weeks ago and for some of the hula moves you have to REALLY engage your abs/core, which can make you look pregnant lol but makes you a much better hooper.

Awesome ! :)
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!