Bigger Guns

Options
blonde71
blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
I'm torn about how far I want to take my arm/shoulder development. I'm kind of liking the slimmer, toned look I'm sporting now but everywhere I look lately, it seems that women with bigger guns are what everyone's after.

I do a full-body workout three times a week and have definitely noticed small-ish bicep/delt development as well as increased strength. Yet I do find myself toying with the idea of moving to an upper/lower body split (4 day) and working some specialized shoulder/arm exercises in.

I'm curious to see how far my genetics would allow me to develop my arms but I don't know if isolation exercises would be just a supreme waste of time. Any advice would be appreciated. :happy:

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Ok I am weird. I don't want big guns. And frankly I have big arms on their own. Purposely getting big guns will make it impossible for me to fit into jackets and shirts.

I want to lose the fat and have some lean definition. No extra musculature for me.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    See, I'm the opposite. I have always have very long skinny limbs with very little fat, so I would really like to build up some size on my calf and biceps to balance out my shape (I carry all my fat on my stomach and it just won't go).

to quote the OP "everywhere I look lately, it seems that women with bigger guns are what everyone's after. " What does it matter what other people are after?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    About the big guns-you should shoot for whatever makes you happy! If you want big guns, then go for it! If you don't , then don't!
    I've been lifting for almost a year now and never did isolation exercises-always 3 day full body and my arms have nice definition and are bigger then they used to be.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what your doing and see how things play out. I always said I never wanted "man arms-aka guns" but after seeing how mine have turned out I have decided to lift heavier and see how far I can go with muscles. Good luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I like muscular arms. I want mine to be more toned, and wouldn't mind them being a little bigger.
  • Miss_Kaz80
    Miss_Kaz80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What is your current upper body workout?
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What is your current upper body workout?

Right now, I'm doing kettlebells. I've done traditional weight training before and am considering switching back after the summer, maybe a routine with some specialized shoulder exercises. I would love arms like yours but don't know if that's genetically possible for me....