ketosis stick NO SHOW :( atkins diet

Options
Hi all,
I am new to atkins and am nearing the end of week one of induction, have one more day left to go!
Had a peek at the scales already and the weightloss this week is going to be VERY pleasing.
However I have tested with ketone sticks for the last three days but still no change.
Does this mean I am doing it wrong, I really have tried to be very strict and follow all the guidelines.
Can anyone take a look and help? could it be possible to be in ketosis but for it not to show up on stick?

Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I would cut out the Atkins bars until you're out of induction at least. A lot of atkins followers don't do well with those products, I think it's the sugar alcohols. Personally, I find them necessary sometimes when you're in a hurry. Also, watch that your net carb total is no more than 20. You're doing really well!!
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options
    Thankyou, will leave them out. haven't gone over the 20 net carbs at all since I started. Little frustrated with MFP as it doesnt always reflect the correct values for carbs so keep my own track of net carbs daily. The bars can only be the problem, which is a shame as I find them very handy!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Options
    You're doing a lot better at veges than I do. Every time I stall that seems to be the main culprit.
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options
    You're doing a lot better at veges than I do. Every time I stall that seems to be the main culprit.

I love vegetables :) I don't understand how they might make you stall though? or am i misunderstanding? x
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    Hi, ive been on Atkins for 15 weeks and lost 33lbs. Ive had a couple of weeks with no loss and only one gain after a few days of heavy eating out etc with family. Ive more or less stayed with the induction phase, i have no problem with it and have never been hungry. My ketone sticks havent always changed either, so dont be disheartened by that, im sure you will enjoy your first weigh in regardless :smile:
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/index.php
    Found this web site and it allows you to calculate how much fat you need in your diet. It is a great site for lots of carb information.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Have you read the New Atkins for a New You book. They explain why they no longer recommend the keto sticks. First the sticks were never meant to be used for a weight loss program. Second--they are not an accurate way of testing for Atkins results. If you exercise they will not show a color--they are vary depending on how much water you drink Third --since they are so inaccurate they lead to frustration and people tend to look at the stick color instead of following the program.
    The first few weeks you will lose alot of weight--it will be mostly water, but it feels good to see the scale go down. Then things even out.
    The new book spells out what you should be eating. In a nutshell--aim for 1500-1800 total calories (Atkins believes in starvation mode) and during induction aim for 15 of your net carbs to come from good foundation veggies--that is around 6 cups a day, for women a protein portion is 4-6 ounces of meat or chicken.
    Sounds like you are doing fine!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Have you read the New Atkins for a New You book. They explain why they no longer recommend the keto sticks. First the sticks were never meant to be used for a weight loss program. Second--they are not an accurate way of testing for Atkins results. If you exercise they will not show a color--they are vary depending on how much water you drink Third --since they are so inaccurate they lead to frustration and people tend to look at the stick color instead of following the program.
    The first few weeks you will lose alot of weight--it will be mostly water, but it feels good to see the scale go down. Then things even out.
    The new book spells out what you should be eating. In a nutshell--aim for 1500-1800 total calories (Atkins believes in starvation mode) and during induction aim for 15 of your net carbs to come from good foundation veggies--that is around 6 cups a day, for women a protein portion is 4-6 ounces of meat or chicken.
    Sounds like you are doing fine!

This is your answer!

I've been a low-carber off and on for years, and never had a keto stick show I was in full ketosis and would get frustrated and quit. I don't lose as fast as many but I didn't put it on fast, so I will be patient, choosing to make this a life-style change. I choose whole foods, fresh and fresh frozen veggies, I have lowered the amount of processed foods I eat, drink water, and I only occassionally drink soft drinks. I do drink flavored seltzers, no alcohol and I lift weights now - just started again after many years hiatus. This works for me. Find your best path, use all low-carb information, but stick to your plan, and you'll see results.

Good luck!
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options
    Thankyou for the advice it all seems very encouraging.
    I have read one of the books just recently but cannot remember which one dont have it to hand, however I have all the upto date info regarding what i should be eating.
    I ensure I eat salad stuff or veggies at each meal and I am enjoying them.
    I'm confident about the plan and enjoying it too, but not seeing that pink on the stick has spoilt my outlook on it all. silly I know!
    Because tomorrow I'll be over the moon with my loss, but those bloody keto sticks have taken the sparkle out of it.
    Think I will forget them and carry on
    Thanks again, I appreciate all your comments!:happy:
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    Wow, so glad i read this today! I had it on my walmart list to buy keto stix today! Hmmmm, i think i will skip them too and save the duckets!

AND..I have Always wondered about the bars and worried they could stall weightloss.... I have them on hand for emergencies, because it's better than eating something starchy! But, i'm not going to eat them constantly!

hmmmm.... I often wonder about the low carb tortillas! those are awesome... net 4 carbs on the ones i buy. but, they are a grain, so i worry! :( Anyone have success or not recommend them?
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow, so glad i read this today! I had it on my walmart list to buy keto stix today! Hmmmm, i think i will skip them too and save the duckets!

AND..I have Always wondered about the bars and worried they could stall weightloss.... I have them on hand for emergencies, because it's better than eating something starchy! But, i'm not going to eat them constantly!

hmmmm.... I often wonder about the low carb tortillas! those are awesome... net 4 carbs on the ones i buy. but, they are a grain, so i worry! :( Anyone have success or not recommend them?
    I don't recommend the low carb tortillas. I've tried them. I think if you stick to your basics, veggies, meats, fats and proteins, you will do fine.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Options

I love vegetables :) I don't understand how they might make you stall though? or am i misunderstanding? x

I meant that I'm not getting enough veges and it makes me stall. Though too many high carb veges can stall you too. I have to watch the tomatoes.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Options
    For the record, I HIGHLY recommend Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution over the newer books like New Atkins for a New You, which I believe was changed to make it easier for the average person to follow but also less effective. Just my two cents!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I don't recommend the low carb tortillas. I've tried them. I think if you stick to your basics, veggies, meats, fats and proteins, you will do fine.

I've been eating the low-carb tortillas and pitas lately, and I've totally stalled. What started out as a seemingly good way to enjoy taco night with my family, has turned into a crutch. I may have to give them up for a while, and see if that is the problem.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    2 days ago i started induction (stage 1) the old way after 6 weeks on the 'new way' with no results. Am feeling more on track than ever. I dont think i was in ketosis that whole time, i was on the brink of it for 6 weeks! I feel like I am getting there now. Its only a few days no carbs at all and hopefully no stalls!
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options
    have i got this right? the only difference between the old way and the new way is 0 carbs whereas the new way is 20g net carbs??? have i got that right??
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    yeah 0 but technically with 2 green salads a day and a little vegies (1 cup) eggs, cheese and so forth its about 10-15. 20 is ok, but I think I was cheating :(
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The "old way" is the same as the "new way" The "old way" was always 20 net carbs on induction, from fresh green veggies. If you have not read the books the official Atkins.com website spells out the way to do the different phases very carefully. The main difference is that in the older books they didn't specifically tell you the small details, assuming that people would use common sense about serving sizes and choices. In a nutshell: 20 net carbs, 15 come from fresh green veggies--thats about 6 cups raw, protein portions are 4-6 ounces for a woman, only 4 ounces of aged cheese, be careful and don't drown your stuff with fat while cooking, aim for 1500-1800 total calories per day for a woman. In the old book comments were made about eating until satisfied but not stuffed, but people just didn't read the book and said--oh great--Atkins is the answer I can eat all the cheese and butter I want as long as I avoid anything with carbs (like veggies). Essentially it is still a low calorie portion size limited way of eating, with an emphasis on good fresh non-processed food. On induction you should not be eating any breads, tortillas, even if they are lo-carb, you should limit any bars and stuff because they can make a stall. You are supposed to be training yourself to enjoy new and fresh unprocessed foods that you can enjoy for a lifetime.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I wouldn`t worry too much about keto sticks...I`ve only once shown red on them...after 4 years years on and off low carb..