How are the Grams doing?

Options
maesgrammie
maesgrammie Posts: 22 Member
Hi "Girls"! Been a while since anyone has posted. Getting some perfectly lovely weather here in northern California so getting my walks in has been easy. We'll be warming up pretty soon so I need to get going earlier and earlier. I am with another group on Facebook and our challenge for May was to try to walk 100 miles. I'm at 75.75 with 7 days to go. Would sure love to make it! Think I'll make it my personal challenge for every month. Anybody interested in joining me?

Replies

• Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm already doing a 20 mile Challenge every week-not sure I can do 100 for the Month. All I can say is I'll try to do it!!!
  • maesgrammie
    Options
    A 20 mile challenge? That's great! How are you doing on it? It actually makes more sense to make it a weekly challenge now that I think about it, seems less daunting that way, lol. We had just been doing the monthly thing so that's what I came up with. Next month I'll try the weekly thing. Thanks for the idea.
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The weekly challenge is excellent. I thought of joining a 5 km walk for Schizophrenia here in Edmonton, but it's at a park that's not easy to get to by bus and it's hard for me to get a ride. I may talk to a friend about joining me. I noticed, too, this group hasn't had a lot of activity. I notice there's another group started for under 25, haha, it's been a long time since then but in some ways it doesn't seem long at all.

I notice, too, that on getting out of bed my joints are stiff and sore, and they never were before. I'm 67 and quite fit but have let the exercise slip a bit except for walking. I wonder if going to the gym on a more regular basis would help? I've heard these aren't the golden years but so far I've been very lucky, probably good genes, as my mother was very healthy until in her 80s and lived to be 91. If she hadn't fallen she'd probably still be with us.

I'm a gram but my three grandsons are living with their moms and both moms are bitter and separated from my two sons and also from me. So I don't see them. Sort of sad but I don't dwell on it. I know others in the same position as well as grams who see too much of their grandchildren, maybe, some are even raising them. I don't know if I'd enjoy that or have the energy to raise another family but I guess if there's no choice then one does what one can.

Someone on my home page here suggested a Bitfit. Does anyone have any experience with a Bitfit? Money is tight but I'd get one this summer if I thought it really helped. I think as long as I lose weight and continue walking I don't care that much about gadgets, but it might be fun. I have a pedometer but I don't use it very often.
  • Shirlann46
    Options
    It's the FitBit and I have one. Hubby bought it for me for Mother's Day. I love it. It is a liitle pricey but it is cheaper than all the other ones out there. I researched and checked all of them out and for the price=FITBIT does more and is cheaper.
    So if you're thinking of getting one-do it -if you can.
    I have about 3 diff. Pedometers and this is the only thing that gives me the right readings on everything not just steps and distance.
    I LOVE IT!!! DO IT!!!
    Good Luck.
  • Shirlann46
    Options
    I'm doing it on this WebSite-Group called Mile Challenge. I started out doing 20 miles a week but upped it to 25 miles weekly now. So YES I can do the 100 mile Challenge for the month with YOU. I didn't realize how far I was Walking because I had a Pedometer that wasn't giving me the correct readings. So I got the FitBit and it keeps me on track.:drinker: :smile:
  • mmuz
    mmuz Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    that sunshine weather sounds good. The weather here in my part of the country is not so warm yet, Idaho is really windy and rainy these days. I really need to get out and walk and move my joints are so stiff . My job is sitting all day in front of a computer it is even worse. I need help help in motivation to move move move. :)
  • coldiron50
    coldiron50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a cross country trek across the US from Chicago to Charleston SC on US HWy 52 for about a month. It's fun to plot the towns as the week goes by. My dog Charlie and I cyber walked about 110 miles last month and we are in Indiana after leaving Chicago. 100 miles was not that bad but I have an old fractured ankle that disagrees :)
  • maesgrammie
    Options
    Yay! I've never heard of a FitBit, will have to look into it. I missed my 100 miles for May but gave it a good try - 85.25 miles.The last couple of days were tough because I had early morning commitments and it was too darn hot to walk in the afternoons. Lousy excuse, I know but I spent enough time walking in the heat when I was working and I just won't do it anymore, lol. So - now I need to get off this thing and get my first miles in for June.
  • maesgrammie
    Options
    I have been doing a cross country trek across the US from Chicago to Charleston SC on US HWy 52 for about a month. It's fun to plot the towns as the week goes by. My dog Charlie and I cyber walked about 110 miles last month and we are in Indiana after leaving Chicago. 100 miles was not that bad but I have an old fractured ankle that disagrees :)
    This sounds amazing - give us more details, please!
  • coldiron50
    Options
    I wear my pedometer each day and total my miles travelled on the map and then learn about the area as I "travel through". It has been a real motivator to walk each and every day..I unwind by reading up on the history and facts of places I am going through. My destination is Charleston SC, as I love the town and have ancestors who landed there from Germany hundreds of years ago! I picked an old US highway with small towns on it so it would be interesting to "pass through". I have gone through the Indian country in Illinois, and am now entering into Indiana, most likely the towns originated during the development of the railroads in mid-1800's, creating jobs as well as a means for commerce of Midwest products. I love doing this and journaling my thoughts on my cross-country trek.:glasses:
  • Shirlann46
    Options
    I just totaled up my Miles Walked for May and I did 91 + miles. If I can do that much I'm sure I can do 100 miles with No Sweat. So I'm going to try and do a 100 miles this month for the June 100 Mile Challenge.:happy:
  • maesgrammie
    Options
    I wear my pedometer each day and total my miles travelled on the map and then learn about the area as I "travel through". It has been a real motivator to walk each and every day..I unwind by reading up on the history and facts of places I am going through. My destination is Charleston SC, as I love the town and have ancestors who landed there from Germany hundreds of years ago! I picked an old US highway with small towns on it so it would be interesting to "pass through". I have gone through the Indian country in Illinois, and am now entering into Indiana, most likely the towns originated during the development of the railroads in mid-1800's, creating jobs as well as a means for commerce of Midwest products. I love doing this and journaling my thoughts on my cross-country trek.:glasses:
    What a wonderful idea!! This country is so amazing, any one of us could have a ball doing the same in our own corners of the world. If you don't mind, I may steal your idea! It just sounds so great! :)
  • maesgrammie
    Options
    I just totaled up my Miles Walked for May and I did 91 + miles. If I can do that much I'm sure I can do 100 miles with No Sweat. So I'm going to try and do a 100 miles this month for the June 100 Mile Challenge.:happy:
    Great job, Shirlann! So we're on for the 100 miles in June? Sounds good to me!:smile:
  • Shirlann46
    Options
    Maesgrammie-Yes, we are on for 100 Mile Challenge- Today I only did 2.33 miles-Weather is bothering my breathing(COPD) but will pick up my feet tomorrow and MOVE!!!!!:smile:
  • coldiron50
    Options
    Please do, and put your spin on it! I hope to drive this route after I complete my journey, and see everything first hand .:smile:
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ShirlAnn, I'll look into the FitBit when I have some extra cash. They're about $99 on-line, I see, and sometimes as I live in Canada I also have to pay Customs. I don't think it's available in stores here. That's a great idea about walking through the US. I'm going on a walk to support Schizophrenia in September and am gathering pledges. I think it's a good cause.
  • Shirlann46
    Options
    You're Welcome, Kenna. I try to help when I can.
    Good Luck on your Walk in Sept. and YES it is a GOOD CAUSE!!!!