What could be going wrong?

Options
Hello everyone.
I'm a recent C25K grad, but a slow runner. I'm a bit heavy, and I've heard when the weight starts coming off I will be able to run easier and faster.
As of last week (about 10 days ago)I could run 34 minutes for 2.8 miles.
I ran two other times last week and I could only run a mile and then 2 miles.
Yesterday I could only run 28 minutes.
I get very short of breath and dizzy.
How could I have lost the ability I had in one week without taking a break from running?
I am eating about 1500 calories on run days and 1200 on non-run days. (but I was doing that before this issue.)
I thought maybe it was my water consumption so I drank a LOT of water in the day and the hours preceding yesterday's run.
What am I missing?

Replies

• lightnda
    lightnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Could be a few things....

Coming down with an illness (let's hope not)
    Different terrain from normal
    Different temperature/weather from normal
    You'd done additional exercise/effort prior to the run
    Not that I know much on this issue, but "time of the month"
    Different pace

Just a couple of thoughts. Any of those ring a bell?

Dave.
  • Bizeebec150
    Bizeebec150 Posts: 88
    Options
    Are you making sure that you are eating enough calories? Replacing electrolytes? Anxiety can also play a role, sometimes that happens to me, emotional stress can sometimes interrupt your running ability.
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    So many possible factors....

Lack of sleep?
    Heat?
    Blood pressure issues? (I have very low blood pressure, and it makes me weak and dizzy at times too... combine it with even slight dehydration and it becomes a big issue sometimes!)
    Is it possible you are pregnant???

I think you should see your doctor to rule out anything serious... do you notice any other symptoms (racing heart? weakness? anything?)
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Oh, and I also want to second the questionning of your caloric intake - are you eating enough? Running puts a lot of demand on your body.... you need to sufficiently replenish it. Also, for the amount you are running you need to be sure you are taking enough rest days to rebuild!
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also want to second the questionning of your caloric intake - are you eating enough? Running puts a lot of demand on your body.... you need to sufficiently replenish it. Also, for the amount you are running you need to be sure you are taking enough rest days to rebuild!

I would agree with you on this one, I recently realize that I need more intake, even though there are times when I don't want to eat, I push past my base calorie intake some days at least by 50 or increase by 300. Depending on what exercise I have done for the day. I have a tendancy to jog at least 4 miles, and some days do double work outs, which at this point increase my intake. I was nervous that I would gain weight, but I am losing instead. This has really helped me to think about food differently.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded here. That week was awful for running - and yesterday, my 5k, I was really wondering what I had gotten myself into. The night before, I threw the whole "diet" idea out the window and ate a big plate of pasta. That morning i had a banana, and these gatorade chew things - low and behold, I ran the whole 3.1 with no problems.
    So those who chose "eat more calories" .... ding ding ding, right answer! Lol.
    Marsh - I agree, this is changing how I think of food. It looks like I need more fuel, so on the evening before run days (which is now every other day, now that I'm training for 10k) I will eat 200-300 calories that I will likely burn in the following run.
    Awesome help, everyone!!! Thanks again :)