Whatever happened to...

Options
istalkzombies
istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
Wes Craven and John Carpenter these guys used to be geniuses back in the day but in really the last decade or so they've kinda fallen off even when they do something it hasnt really been upto the standards which they were known for

Replies

• mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I might be the only one but I find it harder and harder to find a decent new horror. A lot of rubbish and remakes come out, although I do like Rob Zombie. I pretty much stick to watching the many old films that I haven't seen, maybe I just love retro. Although I have to say "Murder Party" was great but that and one trailer park horror are the only new films that I can think of that I've enjoyed recently.

Now with John Carpenter, I thought The Ward was okay but was annoyed with him after the Village of the Damned remake. I haven't seen a Wes Craven film since Scream 3 although I do plan to watch Scream 4. You know I loved Scream when it first came out then I became annoyed but looking at all the rubbish out now the Scream series is pretty decent.
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    I might be the only one but I find it harder and harder to find a decent new horror. A lot of rubbish and remakes come out, although I do like Rob Zombie. I pretty much stick to watching the many old films that I haven't seen, maybe I just love retro. Although I have to say "Murder Party" was great but that and one trailer park horror are the only new films that I can think of that I've enjoyed recently.

Now with John Carpenter, I thought The Ward was okay but was annoyed with him after the Village of the Damned remake. I haven't seen a Wes Craven film since Scream 3 although I do plan to watch Scream 4. You know I loved Scream when it first came out then I became annoyed but looking at all the rubbish out now the Scream series is pretty decent.

I love Rob Zombie's movies so far House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects along with Halloween and Halloween 2 he's done an excellent job.
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I remember John Carpenter did a episode on masters of horror; cigarette burns. Some people might disagree but I quite liked it.
  • istalkzombies
    Options
    I remember John Carpenter did a episode on masters of horror; cigarette burns. Some people might disagree but I quite liked it.

hmmm I'll have to check that out, I like the Masters Of Horror series but dont recall that one
  • TakeMyWifePlease
    Options
    Wes Craven was always hit or miss with me. Carpenter on the other hand I agree that his output lately has been less than impressive considering how much I enjoy his movies. "Village of the Damned" probably was the start of a downward trend in quality although "Vampires" is great. I still haven't watched "The Ward" but I'm looking forward to it and "Cigarette Burns" was arguably the best Masters of Horror episode.

Maybe this quote sheds some light on his diminishing frequency (and some might argue quality) of his work: "Let me make one thing very clear to you; I don’t like to work, I would much rather not work, if I could find a profession of some kind that paid me money to do nothing I would love it." -John Carpenter

He said that in a recent interview that you can find here: http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/john-carpenter-the-daily-grindhouse-interview/

It's a good read.