My LapBand Story

Options
My short story, for those interested. Please message if any questions- I'll answer if I can :)

I had a LapBand put in April 08, and it was removed just at 5 months later. It was a nightmare. I lost over 100lbs in less than 5 months and nearly died from starving to death. (From 310 down to 186) Hard to believe you can still be heavy, yet starving, hmm? Read on!

The first 2 months were great(lost almost 30 lbs)! Went for a fill one day and woke up in the middle of that very night vomiting so hard my nose bled. For those wondering, yes- I was following the diet as prescribed after surgery, but had only liquids after my fill that day. This went on, and got progressively worse over the next few months. I could'nt even carry on a conversation, cough, sneeze or sleep without dry heaving.

Something just did'nt feel right to my body I suppose, and it was literally trying to eject it. I got so bad I couldnt keep anything down- not even water. By this time, the band had been emptied long ago, and there was nothing they could do. I cried because I wanted to eat something- anything. My skin was hanging off me in big folds. I was going in for IV drips for hydration. It was scarey...but I still begged to keep this thing that was killing me because I wanted to be thinner SO bad. I wanted it to right itself somehow :(

I never got a real explenation other than 'it rejected/rejection just happens' at TrueResults. In fact, they treated me as if I had done it on purpose. Made me feel like a failure. Accused me of not eating right, etc. Once the band was scheduled for removal, nobody really wanted anything to do with me. After the surgery, saw the Dr once- he belittled me as well... and that was it. I felt alone again.

I know now, I had band erosion for some unknown reason (as I was still on a very soft food diet). Eventually, my stomach took turns flopping inside out of the band from the vomiting. Talk about pain.

Anyhow, its gone, but damage remains and all the weight, and then some, has returned. I am being tested now for stomach and esophogal damage as I still have issues swallowing and food getting 'stuck' entering stomach.(Obviously, I get passed it or I wouldnt be heavy again!) The 'kind' Dr also left me with a pretty good hernia- almost like he ripped the port out and didnt stitch me back up inside.

Hopefully if the tests are of minimal damage, I'll be able to have a bypass 6 months from now. Ideally, I'd like MFP to change my life and help me keep it off for good! Reality is- I'm a morbidly obese yo-yo dieter with chronic health issues who needs major help.

My main point here is pick your Dr carefully. LapBand is NOT one size fits all. The 'popular, commercial' places would like you to believe it though. True band failures such as mine are far more common than the 'drive thru' weight loss places (as I call them because of how they treat you) would lead you to believe. What happened to me happens to 1 in 100 people who get the band- not 1 in many thousands as I was led to believe.

It is major surgery, even if its 'just' laproscopic. I just want to open some eyes that there are more complications with this peocedure than potentially gaining a few pounds gained back.

Thanks for reading, my apologies for any errors in spelling and grammar.

Replies

• tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that your experience was so bad for you. I hope that you find a very competent doctor to do the gastric bypass surgery for you. Thank you for bringing this issue to light, especially for those who are considering any type of bariatric surgery. Non of them should be taken lightly and everything should be researched about the people and places doing these procedures.
    I had gastric bypass-r-n-y open done 5 weeks ago and so far everything is going good, but I constantly keep vigil about what my body is telling me, and actually have started to understand when my pouch is a little too full.
    I know this is not the same as the LapBand, but everyone will have different experiences and I hope that your next one is better.
  • Aimyloo
    Aimyloo Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank-you! I'm so happy for you and your recent surgery! I'm having the same thing potentially done in 6 months. It just depends on what damage remains from the band. I have SO many questions about the post surgery diet (how long on liquids, etc)

Hope everything continues to go well for you!
  • tessanne10
    Options
    I was two weeks on liquids after surgery, and gradually started to add in soft foods after that. Believe me when I say, that during that two weeks the only thing I missed was the chewing motion. I am now up to adding in canned meats like tuna or chicken, also sweet potatoes mashed, broccoli steamed, and some fish like white fishes (cod, tilipia, etc) I have to make sure that the meat is moist though. I can't do any beef or pork yet.
    I really don't have any cravings.
  • hhamilton1203
    hhamilton1203 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I cant believe that happned to you. I am so sorry to hear all of that. I reserched my Dr and the lapband for over a year before i decided to get the band. I had the lapband surgery 5 months ago and i have had no problems at all. The only issue i have had is i lost so much weight so fast my gallbladder kicked it and that is to be expected with losing so much weight so fast.... Everyone reacts differently to everything not one persons journey is the same as another. I hope you feel like you have support on here and you get the medical attention you need.
  • Aimyloo
    Options
    You're lucky, for sure!

I just posted to let others know that there is another side to the lap band story, and it happens more often than you think. It wasn't my choice that it rejected.

I'm completely scared of having open roux-n-y. Now that I'm here on MFP, I'm debating on doing it at all, but still going thru motions to get it approved. I guess we'll see what happens.
  • Aimyloo
    Options
    *Bump* Saw someone questioning surgery & risks...
  • tessanne10
    Options
    I looked at it this way, I was going to die at a young age if I didn't do it, with all the health problems I had, or I could try to fix things by using this unique tool to pave a better future for myself.
    Granted there are risks with any surgery, but for me it was key to have a surgeon I had confidence in, that could do the surgery and had a very good track record at doing it, but mainly it was my faith in God that put me at ease with it.
    Now keep in mind that surgery is not for everyone, but for me it was definitely the right choice.
    Remember whatever you choose to do, you will always have friends here who understand what it's like to have to make that choice.
    Healing from the open RNY isn't too much different than the other surgeries, just depends on the limitations your doctor gives you. The first week or so I was sore and didn't do much. I was told not to lift anymore than 5 lbs, but after that the doctor raised it to 20 lbs. You will notice that whatever medications your on will gradually go a way! If you have any back or leg problems, they may not go a way overnight, but they may improve somewhat. I still struggle with lower back problems, but now I can walk and I am hoping that eventually I won't have to have back surgery to fix it. Right now I have a feeling that the excess skin is what might be causing the problem with the pain.
    I am going to have to find an exercise that is easy on this, but will still help get me in shape.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. It's important for people to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. You are not alone. I'm very active in the bariatric community and knoiw far many more people who have had issues with their lap band than those who have been successful with it.

I wish you the best.
  • Aimyloo
    Options
    I guess my biggest concern about "open dystal roux n y" is the cut! I'm worried about all the fat & little bit of muscle being cut thru and the pain and healing process. I remember after my lapband, it was smooth sailing with hardly any pain- just a bit of discomfort for a few days, but livable. (having it taken out- that pain is another story! Couldn't stand up straight for a week!)

So, I'm thinking that I won't be able to get up from our very low toilet (no idea why It's so small, but the sink is that way too, have to bend over to use it. Must be a 1960s thing when this triplex was built.) Same thing with my recliner/couch. It's very hard to put the legrest down, and takes a lot of leg & stomach effort. Even then, once I'm standing, I have to kick backwards with 1 leg to shut it or else it just flips open. Really a pain.

I'm thinking I won't be able to sit up or stand from laying down or sitting position, and I'll be stuck in 1 spot until hubby gets home.
    I'm worried about the pain- there is NO way a cut that large is similar to laproscopic! I'm thinking I'll be wishing to have never done it, or worse. Worried about hernia also, as the lap band removal left me with a small but paralyzing, painful, can't breathe, wtf is happening kind of hernia. If i end up with another I'll be wishing to...pass out, yeah....

The skin was an issue after the weight I lost because it was so much in a short time. I felt like Adam Sandler in the movie "Click"- the fat guy losing weight & flipping the big stomach flap around! Haha! I imagine had I had the normal time to lose and exercise, a majority of it could have gone back. I know I'll really have to work at it if I don't want as much floppy skin... Really work. I got upset when people used to tell me that everyday things didn't count toward working out & taking my shape back- but they were right- so now I know for this time and I can't even IMAGINE doing sits ups or anything like that to help belly. Again- with a cut that big, I'm afraid I'll never get up easily on my own again :(

That's the big thing with me... Healing and ability to move & function after surgery.

Sorry such a long reply... It's typical of me, I yap a lot :)

I looked at it this way, I was going to die at a young age if I didn't do it, with all the health problems I had, or I could try to fix things by using this unique tool to pave a better future for myself.
    Granted there are risks with any surgery, but for me it was key to have a surgeon I had confidence in, that could do the surgery and had a very good track record at doing it, but mainly it was my faith in God that put me at ease with it.
    Now keep in mind that surgery is not for everyone, but for me it was definitely the right choice.
    Remember whatever you choose to do, you will always have friends here who understand what it's like to have to make that choice.
    Healing from the open RNY isn't too much different than the other surgeries, just depends on the limitations your doctor gives you. The first week or so I was sore and didn't do much. I was told not to lift anymore than 5 lbs, but after that the doctor raised it to 20 lbs. You will notice that whatever medications your on will gradually go a way! If you have any back or leg problems, they may not go a way overnight, but they may improve somewhat. I still struggle with lower back problems, but now I can walk and I am hoping that eventually I won't have to have back surgery to fix it. Right now I have a feeling that the excess skin is what might be causing the problem with the pain.
    I am going to have to find an exercise that is easy on this, but will still help get me in shape.
  • tessanne10
    Options
    If you think that it will be an issue for your recliner, you can rent a lift chair that will help you to a standing position. Here in Michigan they are about $35.00 a week. I didn't need one, but some people swear by they. There are also the toilet seats that can elevate you high to get off them.
    The first week to 10 days after surgery is when you will need some help, but I really didn't need my husband that much during those times. Most doctors will put you in a stomach binder for 6 months to prevent getting any hernias along the incision.
    They will send you home with a liquid pain medication to take as needed. I was limited to 5 lbs for lifting until I saw the doctor three weeks later.
    Please let me know if there is anything else I can tell you.
  • Aimyloo
    Options
    Oooh! Stomach binder! Luckily it will be around Sept-Nov by time surgery happens. Would be too hot to wear here, although I'm sure I'd learn to manage and be grateful for support!

I don't know what I'll do about recliner. I bought this sofa with 2 built in recliner in March of 10, thinking it would loosen up. It has a bit, but not enough. I may have to buy a separate recliner and figure out a way to arrange it in the living room of my 1 bedroom apartment. Pretty sure hubby would be thrilled to play on, around and near a chair that moves mechanically if I went that route- haha!

I guess 7 to 10 days isn't bad. I don't really like the idea of needing help for anything, but I guess I'll have to swallow pride on that AND get someone I know to help. Not sure who. Hmmm.

I have an extremely high tolerance to pain meds. I take 2 to 3x dose of most people, and It's not due to weight. It really sucks, It's why most pain or even diet meds do nothing for me. My surgeon said there will be little he can do to manage my pain post op. That scares crap out of me :( I hope the pain isn't horrific. I tried liquid Vicodin after band went in and came out last time. Did nothing.

Maybe I should just switch surgeons. I dunno. What made you decide to go with open rather than lapro, knowing the heal time was longer, pain was more? Maybe i should ask that in the forum when I'm not about to fall asleep :)
  • Aimyloo
    Options
    That should say I bought this couch March 11. Oopsie!
  • tessanne10
    Options
    Actually I wanted the sleeve, but I have Priority Health Medicare and they wouldn't pay for it at the time. The surgeon here was excellent and he only does the open route. He has found other things and saved a few lives. The other surgeons at the time were not okayed yet to do laparoscopic.
    The binder isn't so bad. I usually where mine most of the time. It was liquid vicodin that they gave me. I actually refilled mine and only used it as I needed it.
    Check your local medical supply store as to what the cost would be to rent one. Also speak to your surgeon and see if he thinks it would be necessary item for you, because they can write a prescription for it. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you feel you need it. I did alot of things on my own even the first week home. Just learn your limitations.
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had my lapband last year, I've yet to loose any significant amount of weight. Thats because I haven't been to the MD to have a fill. I need to start going in more frequently. I really want to "use" this tool effectively...but struggling with it. I guess I had BIG dreams and hopes for my band...I feel so bad, and don't know what to do at times. I guess I need a quick *restart* button.

I guess I need some motivation to continue in this process. So anyone want to be my friend or send me an encouraging word that will be great! Thanks in advanced.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oooh! Stomach binder! Luckily it will be around Sept-Nov by time surgery happens. Would be too hot to wear here, although I'm sure I'd learn to manage and be grateful for support!

I don't know what I'll do about recliner. I bought this sofa with 2 built in recliner in March of 10, thinking it would loosen up. It has a bit, but not enough. I may have to buy a separate recliner and figure out a way to arrange it in the living room of my 1 bedroom apartment. Pretty sure hubby would be thrilled to play on, around and near a chair that moves mechanically if I went that route- haha!

I guess 7 to 10 days isn't bad. I don't really like the idea of needing help for anything, but I guess I'll have to swallow pride on that AND get someone I know to help. Not sure who. Hmmm.

I have an extremely high tolerance to pain meds. I take 2 to 3x dose of most people, and It's not due to weight. It really sucks, It's why most pain or even diet meds do nothing for me. My surgeon said there will be little he can do to manage my pain post op. That scares crap out of me :( I hope the pain isn't horrific. I tried liquid Vicodin after band went in and came out last time. Did nothing.

Maybe I should just switch surgeons. I dunno. What made you decide to go with open rather than lapro, knowing the heal time was longer, pain was more? Maybe i should ask that in the forum when I'm not about to fall asleep :)

After losing my weight, and yo-yo dieting for many years, I had lots of flabby skin in the lower abdominal area. In January, I had abdominoplasty done. Now I know that it is not the same procedure, but I was cut from hip to hip along the bikini line. The lower ab muscles were also tightened. After one day in the hospital, I was sent home with pain meds, a binder and 2 drains. Yes, getting up off of the toilet and out of the recliner was tough, but manageable. I had done alot of exercise before surgery and both my legs and upper body were quite strong. I used a small stool in front of the toilet for support, but let my legs push me up rather than the ab muscles. To get out of the recliner, I would put the foot rest down, slide to the very front of the chair, and then used my arms to push myself up, I was able to manage quite well when there was no one else home. My point is, you have time before surgery to strengthen those arm and leg muscles. Good luck.
  • Aimyloo
    Options
    I want the sleeve as well... I feel like i will avoid the malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies that way. My surgeon says he won't do it and that at my weight, open roux-n-Y is what he wants to do, even though I want laproscopic. It's his way or the highway- or I have to go somewhere else. I'm not really cool with that attitude. He says he can fix the hernia left from Lap-Band and explore. Explore for what? I have no health problems inside to speak of- no high bp, no diabetes, etc. I dunno about cholesterol, but does that require exploring?

Dr says that different weight requires different types of surgery. Anyone else been told that? I'm also concerned about the scarring and complications left from Lap-Band- especially with food still getting stuck. I really want what *I* want (sleeve) ... A "because I say so" answer doesn't sit well with me. Wondering if I'm over reacting- Dr knows best, right? Plus he's one of the top in country- he must know what he's talking about....

I'm debating on seeing another Dr here in Phoenix. The problem is finding one that takes APIPA. At this point, I'm going through the motions and not even sure I'm approved yet.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is quite the story. I'm so sorry you had such an unfortuneate experience. I am a recent RNY surgical warrior! I had my surgery early in January of this year and could not have had a better outcome. My surgery was better than textbook, as was my recovery and I feel amazing. I have lost about half of the weight that I hope to lose on the high end of my weight loss goal.

I expect, that your current doctor wants to do an open procedure is to be sure that any problems remaining from your lapband are found and corrected, remember you want the best outcome possible. (Usually, the better a surgeon is, the worse his bedside manner... it's an ego thing), It doesn't hurt to get a second opinion...

If your new surgeon has a practice that will support you through your recovery and beyond, uses "best practices", and has you jumping through hoops before getting you to your surgical date, although frustrating, you will have a better outcome. Educate yourself, read, and learn everything you can about what is to come, then when you have questions for the doctor, you have some knowledge to back you up. I read, (to the point where the cover has almost come off), The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery, written by Julie Janeway, Karen Sparks, and Dr. Randal Baker. It is well written for a layperson and full of good advice... it is worth every penny I paid for it, and I still reference it.

Best of Luck, be strong, and go into this with a positive attitude... You will succeed and your life will become what you want!
  • BARBY1956
    BARBY1956 Posts: 51
    Options
    I too am sorry that you had such an upsetting experience with the lapband. I had the RNY gastric bypass in 1999 and have had a very successful experience with it. My starting weight was 283 lbs and after all these years have been able to stay within 10 lbs of my goal of 155 lbs. At 5'8" that usually puts me in size 10 or 12. I followed my Doctor's instructions to the letter after my surgery and didn't try to eat what I wasn't suppose to. I had minimal pain at the incision. I don't remember needing much pain meds other than tylenol. I took care of myself during the day as my husband worked long hours and did not have much trouble getting around.

I was determined that this was going to work for me and I have kept a very positive attitude about my surgery. I now know that when my weight starts to creep up, I can stop it before it gets out of control. Right now I weigh 164 lb. and am working on losing that 9 lbs. to get back to 155 lbs. That is where I feel most comfortable. I had surgery on my foot in December and put on a few pounds because I wasn't able to get around and exercise. After reading several posts on this forum, I guess I have had a better outcome than a lot of other people. I have learned over the years what I can and can not eat and how much. It takes trial and error for sure. Don't get discouraged.

So if you decide to have this surgery, I wish you the best. You must go into this with your eyes wide open and a positive can do attitude.