For the ladies...about TOM

Options
TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
My cycle hasn't even started yet and my cramps are already starting. I have intense cramps because of extenuating health issues and I am not counting on them to be any better. My real issue is extreme fatigue that I experience, and even more CRAZY hunger. I'm already feeling famished, so how do I deal with that? In the past I just ATE. I felt it was okay because I only have a cycle every 9 weeks because of medication, so eating alot every 9 weeks felt different than eating alot once a month. Should I eat more or stay at TDEE minus my 15% cut? Any help would be so appreciated!

Replies

• dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Does your CRAZY hunger last for a day? A week? If it's a day or two, I would say your body needs a little extra so give it some! Make sure you are eating nutritious food, maybe get some extra iron in there. Maybe later in the week do a little extra workout or cut out a snack, that way your average daily deficit at the end of the week stays at your TDEE-15% goal.

Sometimes your body needs a little more food, some days you are able to workout a little more. It's all about the balance and fueling your body based on its needs. Don't worry about making every day exactly the same - that's actually a good way to stagnate your weight loss anyway.

Hope you feel better! :flowerforyou:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Couple of suggestions.

1. Do some light cardio (like a walk), even if you're tired and don't lift heavy during TOM unless you're revved for it. Light cardio has been known to help minimize the symptoms of TOM whereas heavy lifting can sometimes make them worse. (It won't necessarily make them go away though...it's not a miracle cure)

2. According to research out there, your body does actually require a few more calories during TOM, BUT it's only 100 - 200 more, so be careful about how much over your TDEE (maintenance) you eat. Keep your macros in balance and this should help with some of the hunger. If you are hungry, it's ok to eat, just make sure it's true hunger, not emotional, and choose healthy options instead of junk food or caffeine rich options. Also, it's perfectly ok to raise your Calories up to your maintenance (TDEE) for your TOM week...it gives you a diet break (which is good) and will make you happier.

3. If you do over eat considerably during TOM, (beyond your TDEE) don't beat yourself up over it...just get back on track as soon as possible and reign in that consistency again. :smile:
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Dewgirl - I am usually ravenous for 2, sometimes three days. I think I'll allow myself an extra 250 calories if I feel I need it. I also do well with a glass of red wine in the evening to help with the cramps and sort of "calm" my cravings. I'm going to do it if I feel it will "get me through". I'm also going to take your advice on squeezing in an extra workout (or two!) later this week. : )

Jyska - I'm going to stick with my regular plan. I'm sort of unwilling to let the pain stop me. The cramps I can - and will - deal with. The info on the body needing extra 100-200 calories is good to know - thank you for that. I don't plan on eating above my TDEE at all. Just needed to know it was okay to eat above my 15% cut for a couple days. : )

I feel much better about eating a bit more. : )
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! You've been doing great, and you'll get through this little annoyance just fine.