So I just bought a BodyMedia FIT Link today

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
How do you guys like yours? Mine is charging right now, but I have it synced to their website, and now I have it paired to my phone.

Gonna see how it stacks up to the fitbit.

Curious to see where it averages me for TDEE.

Replies

• nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    More and more curious about that... I'd like to know too what everybody is thinking...
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! discovered over the past couple of days that I walk faster and burn more calories on my walk than I used to because of it. I thought I was doing 3.5 m/hr, but apparently in the last few days (maybe it's because I'm eating at tdee now and getting so many calories hehe) I have jumped to walking at at least 4.0m/h and most of my walk is in the vigorous range! That was such a surprise! Never would have known without my bmf because it felt like I was still going the same speed. An NSV to be sure.

It just pulls in so much useful data even beyond figuring out your tdee...I'm very thankful to have it.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it! I've had it for 3 years. I use it to track my activity, but log my food just on MFP. How do you get it to pair with your phone? I have a droid.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    on my *wish* list....sigh
  • witrixie2011
    witrixie2011 Posts: 224
    Options

Sooo tempted to get one just so I would know exactly what's going on. But for now it remains on my wish list too.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Sooo tempted to get one just so I would know exactly what's going on. But for now it remains on my wish list too.

Same.. I would really like one just so I could know my numbers for sure, and give myself a break wondering if im "correct" or not... would give me peace of mind..
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I have one and love it! I've had it for 3 years. I use it to track my activity, but log my food just on MFP. How do you get it to pair with your phone? I have a droid.

You have to have the new Fit LINK version that has bluetooth built in.

I am gonna see what it figures for my TDEE over the next 14 days ,then average it all together and get a rough estimate on it is, then compare it to other calculators and what not.

Ill post my progress with it as well
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I got it last week and wore it for one week. I gathered some great data and learned that I am more active than what I thought. I have increased my calories because of the information. I am going to use it every now and then for time frames. It really started to bother me after a week and I couldn't wait to take it off, but I am glad I got it. Now my husband wants to use it!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Count me in too - I love feeling like I accurately know my burn. I'm still not eating "enough" but I'm working on it. Mine freezes up quite a bit (I have a Link) - am I the only one?
  • mibrewer413
    mibrewer413 Posts: 78
    Options
    I got the same thing, should be coming in the next couple of days. can't wait!!
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    So just tested it on my power walk. It nailed it. My walk was ~39-41 minutes. It figured i did 40 minutes of moderate workout.

Not bad :) Doesnt pick up on the weight lifting so well, but thats a known flaw, something that I use my heart rate monitor for anyways.

Ill see over the next 7 to 14 days what it thinks my average TDEE should be.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I got mine yesterday and used it for the first time today. I am learning a lot already. For one thing, the calculators I used to calculate my normal Wednesday workout drastically over-estimated the calories burned. I was definitely overeating on those days.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I got mine yesterday and used it for the first time today. I am learning a lot already. For one thing, the calculators I used to calculate my normal Wednesday workout drastically over-estimated the calories burned. I was definitely overeating on those days.

I found that too...online cals were overestimating for me. I found this via my Polar HRM though.
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering getting one too. I currently have a fitbit, and I did find that my activity level was much higher than I imagined. I can't wait to hear how they compare. I am concerned about wearing that thing on my arm all the time too. The fitbit is so easy to wear, but I'm not sure how accurate it really is. My walks definitely seem to be, but when I'm walking with stuff in my hands, probably not so much. How many gadgets should one person get though. :)
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for just over 3 weeks, what I have learned is that:-

A) My activity level is higher
    B) I wasn't eating enough

I find that to get a vigarous workout I need to do Turbo fire, and I have been ill with the flu so not moving around a lot my burn was still in the 2000 cals a day range.

Yesterday I cleaned and moved furniture around for 3.19 hours and my total burn for the day was 3003...my HRM couldn't tell me that.

I love the fact that it bluetooths the info to your smartphone, and I can see at a glance if i need to eat more or less!

Cheers
    Alli
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am still doing my head in wanting one and not quite being able to afford one, and wondering do i really need one :laugh:
    I dont' know if i am overly obsessing with the whole calorie thing :)

Can someone tell me what you do about the sleep thing? Like it tells you how long you slept, quality etc...
    But what do you DO about those results?
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for just over 3 weeks, what I have learned is that:-

A) My activity level is higher
    B) I wasn't eating enough

I find that to get a vigarous workout I need to do Turbo fire, and I have been ill with the flu so not moving around a lot my burn was still in the 2000 cals a day range.

Yesterday I cleaned and moved furniture around for 3.19 hours and my total burn for the day was 3003...my HRM couldn't tell me that.

I love the fact that it bluetooths the info to your smartphone, and I can see at a glance if i need to eat more or less!

Cheers
    Alli

That is awesome!! Can't wait to get mine!!!!
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So FiveohMike,
    It's been almost a week since you got your BMF :bigsmile:

How has your TDEE compared to the online calculators?

How are you finding it in general?

Any updates at all appreciated :)

cheers,
    From the Master Procrastinator :laugh:

Allic1971 don't no making fun of me :tongue: :wink:
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just now received my Bodymedia Link this morning (the Advance one, not Link) and I'm sooo excited!!! :bigsmile:
    Its charging....grrrrr...taking too long for me, hehe.
    Cant wait for a week to be up so I can get my average!

You still happy with yours Mike?
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    I soooo want one of these! It would be nice to know for sure what is my TDEE. I got a real BMR test done and find that it was nearly 200 more than the calculators have me sitting so maybe I am more active than I think. I am really having a hard time justifying the expense, though. I also want to be able to see the numbers without linking to the internet. I don't have a smart phone to hook to.