One year anniversary on MFP

Options
mpf1
mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
It has been one year today since I first logged onto MFP.

I had lost weight first, then starting using it. I only used it for logging for about 3 months, until I dared search the community part of the site and reach out for friends.

I spent most of my life with weight issues. I am now the mom of 2 daughters, and absolutely do not want that for them.
It has been a huge burden lifted not to feel constantly self critical about my body image. Instead, I think more about my personal fitness and nutrition for reasons well beyond weight.

Being here and having MFP friends has given me a great opportunity to communicate and give/get support others who “get it,” something that I haven’t really had before. I have learned so much from you! I sort of keep it quiet that I am a physician because I just want to be here like everyone else, but I tell you this because there are so many things about healthy nutrition and fitness that are not really well understood by the medical profession. We are all here figuring things out for ourselves. It is nice not to be doing that alone!

I weigh more now that 1 year ago. I think I look better, but I did not take pictures!!
I am 129.4 as of today, and I had been aiming for a maintenance range of 127-130. 5'7''. I am thinking that might be a little low with some increased weight training...

... which brings me to:

Major questions:
-- Eat more to weigh less? I think so. It makes so much sense that under-eating would wreck metabolism. I have raised my calories to 1500 at base and eat back exercise calories. So far I have gained a few lbs but am not really sure if that is muscle, and/or if this is probably a better maintenance weight for me anyway. At my lowest I got feedback that I didn’t look good, and that was also before I started doing any circuit training or lifting of any kind. Since I started lifting heavier weights, I have been above that range on many days. I am still trying to figure all of this out for myself – ideal number of calories, exercise regimens, goal weight range, etc, feeling good, and not obsessing, or lowering metabolism.

Highlights!! So what I have learned from all of you on MFP and my experience here:

1) There is so much more to exercise than doing the same aerobic work out day in and day out. Prior to being on the site, all I did was running, walking, and elliptical. In winter, elliptical every day. My world of exercise is so broad now. I started with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, August 2011, and now I have many of her videos, and also Bob Harper’s as well. I love kickboxing! I have done a month of heavier lifting per New Rules of Lifting for Women- I am adapting it to do at home and lifting 2-3 times per week, also still doing circuit training videos. I know that I have gained muscle. I feel like I have trainers when I use the videos.
2) I don’t want the number on the scale to be the goal. I weigh more than I did about a year ago, just a few pounds, but I am pretty sure it’s muscle! Now it’s not about being low, but maintaining within a range. Although I do get a little (ok, more than a little!) nervous when I see the number go up, which it has recently with more weight training. I just don't want to kid myself and gain it all back.
3) I have found great food ideas here! I eat a much wider variety of vegetables. I love baking/roasting brussel sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, eggplant- none of which I used to eat very often or at all. Steamed pre-bagged cabbage or broccoli cole slaw w/ stir fry sauce or an Asian peanut sauce. Plus, I have discovered some great products—PB2 peanut butter, Arctic Zero ice cream replacement, Miracle Noodles, GG Bran Crisps.
4) I am inspired by how you all share your frustrations and successes. Checking in is a great reality check.
5) Water—I need to drink more. This is a challenge every day. The site helps keep me on this goal.

Stuff I am thinking about for Year 2:
1) More exercise ideas: I am still learning from NROLFW. Not planning to follow it perfectly, but have incorporated more lifting with weights, and will see how it works into other workouts. My goal is 2-3 times per week of some challenging weights. Thinking about P90x for next winter.
2) Water, water, water—still!
3) Artificial sweeteners: not sure what to do about these. I read Bob Harper’s Skinny Rules this week. I can share more later, but one rule that intrigues me is giving up artificial sweeteners. I have cut my diet soda a lot since being on the site, but I have sweet treats throughout the day. One of my staples is diet cocoa in my coffee every day, and then diet cocoa at night, 1-2 sodas on a typical day, sugar free fudgsicles, Splenda in my Greek yogurt. I am not sure I could give it up or even want to do it, but yesterday I tried and today am so far without it. His idea is that sweeteners get you used to hyper-flavors, and he suggests eating berries and apples every day to get used to what sweet stuff was meant to taste like. But I LOVE chocolate!!!! And life is short. And are sweeteners really bad? No one really knows. Inherently, I think eating clean without them cannot be bad for me, but I am struggling with a quality of life issue!
4) Protein intake: I’ve been focusing more on protein, have some shakes on hand, eating more fish and Greek yogurt. Being a vegetarian except for fish, this is a little tough, and I don’t want to eat too many protein bars since I don’t think they are that satisfying. I am trying to ramp up protein to 30%.

So those are my thoughts after 365 days! Thanks for letting me share them!

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an interesting read! Thank you so much for sharing all that - I found it highly inspirational and very stimulating too; I can relate well to many of the things you say. But oh, your secret is out - a physician, no less! No wonder you are busy; in fact, I'm surprised you find the time for this at all. You are obviously one of those superwomen I admire so much. But it is also kind of gratifying to read what you say about the medical profession not having all the answers - it means you are human too!

We share the experience of getting negative feedback when we weighed less, and it makes sense that we are looking better with a few extra pounds from weight training.

I'm glad you raised the point about artificial sweeteners; I feel very dubious about them myself, and I try not to have them if I can possibly avoid it. I still get a daily dose of chocolate though, so I don't feel deprived. I don't know if it would work for you, but I find that munching on ice cubes is somehow just as satisfying as drinking soda. But there again, I am somewhat eccentric ...

And the protein thing - I'm not sure any more that we really, truly need 30%. I've been down at between 20% and 25% per day for a few weeks now, and as a vegetarian I seem to manage that level without really trying. I'm still increase the weights in the NROLFW, so it seems I am still building muscle, and I no longer feel I must eat to reach the magic 30 figure (and end up going way over my allowance in the process).

Thank you again for posting this; here's to another interesting, challenging and rewarding year ahead. :smile:

Edited to correct grammar mistakes; I am an English teacher, after all!
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences throughout your past year of maintenance! I am entering maintenance in the new two weeks and find your guidance super helpful! Thank you!
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Marlene,

Thanks for sharing your story. I think it's great that you found and started to use MFP after you lost the weight..Most folks don't realize that maintenance is even harder than weight loss. They lose the weight, go back to their old habits and regain what they have lost. I think having the discipline of MFP logging plus the support of our great MFP friends helps avoid having that happen to us.

Congratulations on a whole year of successfully preserving your weight loss AND reshaping your body to become stronger and healthier. You have accomplished so much! Happy Anniversary and here's wishing you many more years of health, fintess and happiness.

Jo M
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well, I've only known you the last four months of your first year of maintenance and you have evolved in that short period of time. The Mpf1 of February is not the same Mpf1 of today! You just keep on getting better at maintenance and much more circumspect regarding the process. And you are right about having a support system of friends who are going through the same experience. We learn from one another and find inspiration each and every day.

I had no clue you were a physician, you hid it very well. LOL I understand your reasons for not disclosing but have so much admiration that you are here on MFP day in and day out giving/receiving support. We are a NEEDY bunch!

Anyway, I'm proud to be your friend and will be right along with you for your second year. Cheers, my friend! (raises wine glass)
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an interesting read! Thank you so much for sharing all that - I found it highly inspirational and very stimulating too; I can relate well to many of the things you say. But oh, your secret is out - a physician, no less! No wonder you are busy; in fact, I'm surprised you find the time for this at all. You are obviously one of those superwomen I admire so much. But it is also kind of gratifying to read what you say about the medical profession not having all the answers - it means you are human too!

We share the experience of getting negative feedback when we weighed less, and it makes sense that we are looking better with a few extra pounds from weight training.

I'm glad you raised the point about artificial sweeteners; I feel very dubious about them myself, and I try not to have them if I can possibly avoid it. I still get a daily dose of chocolate though, so I don't feel deprived. I don't know if it would work for you, but I find that munching on ice cubes is somehow just as satisfying as drinking soda. But there again, I am somewhat eccentric ...

And the protein thing - I'm not sure any more that we really, truly need 30%. I've been down at between 20% and 25% per day for a few weeks now, and as a vegetarian I seem to manage that level without really trying. I'm still increase the weights in the NROLFW, so it seems I am still building muscle, and I no longer feel I must eat to reach the magic 30 figure (and end up going way over my allowance in the process).

Thank you again for posting this; here's to another interesting, challenging and rewarding year ahead. :smile:

Edited to correct grammar mistakes; I am an English teacher, after all!

Maggie: It must kill you to be an English teacher and read all of these posts! thanks for your comments!
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on staying with it for a year. Very interesting post...and I share many of your thoughts, especially about the artificial sweeteners. That one bothers me, but I don't have any good answers yet.

Anyway, congrats!
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Marlene! Please forgive me that I missed this a few days ago! So glad to have found it today. Congratulations on your 1 year! I have so very much enjoyed going through this maintenance journey with you.

I love your story, your openness to try new things and your perspective. And wow, you told me you were in the health field but a physician too. I think it's great because you are learning here on your own journey listening to many different people, not just from the books and from conferences, but from real life. And I'm sure that makes you even better at what you do. I think it's great you have adjusted to the mindset of being stronger and not worrying so much about the scale number. It takes a while for all of us to get there, doesn't it?

So about artificial sweeteners? Well, I personally avoid them but am happy to use maple syrup and honey ( I am in VT, so I can't not use those local favorites :)). Maybe you can do a little switch and see if you like the ones you are using now better, or may find more natural sweeteners fine too. I use maple in my plain greek yogurt and just a little bit, maybe a teaspoon or less, goes a long way. But I'm also of the feeling if you truly love something, you should go for it....and not deny because life's pleasures are important too. I don't drink soda either but have one of those sparkling water makers for a little fizz, plain or with lemon or lime....that works for me and if I didn't drink that, I'd never drink water....... If you love your diet soda? Again, you are doing great now, so maybe no change is needed. But, maybe you can do a swap out, and see if you really miss it? So yeah, we all have our own food rules: I'm a red wine drinker and that and my coffee w/half and half, those are my untouchables....not right for everyone but ok in my book....

About protein? As with Maggie, I have had some trouble getting higher than around 20-22%. I think anyone who can get higher than that must do it artificially, like with a protein drink or powder, and I'm not really into that. A few months ago this stressed me out but when I realized I didn't think I could solve the problem, I kind of relaxed and realized it's probably ok.

I look forward to hanging with you in your next successful/maintaining year Marlene. thanks so much for being here for us and showing us all how you do it! You are a definite inspiration!!