Wedding Dresses

Options
shazzannon
shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
Hey everyone, I have a question.

For those of you who want to lose weight for your big day, what are you doing about your dress? Are you buying a dress for your current weight and getting it altered as you lose, or are you buying a dress in the size you want to be and using it as your motivation? Or are you waiting until you get closer to your goal even if it might be cutting it a little close to your wedding?

I want to wait until I'm closer to my goal, but I've heard so many horror stories of dress mishaps that I'm paranoid to wait too long. And I don't feel I can justify dropping serious bank on a dress that I can't end up wearing/can't return.

What are your plans?

Replies

• misseshugz
    Options
    I think it depends on what you're comfortable. I wanted to wait until I was closer to my goal weight myself, but I found that I needed to pick my dress in order to keep planning.

So, I ordered my dress a week ago at my current weight. If I lose any weight, they can always take it in. But, I was happy with how I looked in it at my current weight so even if nothing changes I'm happy. Personally, I could never order it in a smaller size than what I am. There's enough pressure and stress with planning a wedding, I don't need more worrying about how I'm going to fit into my dress!

All the dress stores here in Canada say you need 6 months to order your dress. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck!
  • jdbaker01
    jdbaker01 Posts: 44
    Options
    IVE GOT 5 STONE TO LOSE (AT LEAST) AND 5 MONTHS TO DO IT IN, HAVENT EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT TO WEAR YET, ALTHOUGH I HAVE LOOKED AT A FEW DRESSES ONLINE FOR IDEAS.....I WANTED TO WAIT UNTIL IVE LOST A BIT MORE WEIGHT BEFORE I BOUGHT A DRESS
  • hackett1171
    Options
    I already got my dress and have put on a couple of pounds since then....I get anxiety that I won't fit into my dress! The dress I bought was nothing that I would ever think that I would buy! I wanted strapless and short kinda form fitting...well I got strapless but its long and poofy. It will be hemmed to be T length and some of the toile will come out...I love it its comfortable and light and airy...plus it has pockets....:happy:
  • eklopez14
    eklopez14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I already bought my dress. I fell in love and didn't want to risk not being able to have "the" dress. My plan is to work closely with my tailor and if it comes to a point were if I lose anymore she can't do anything to fix it, then I'll go to maintenance until after the wedding. But like some others said, I found one that I'm vey happy with how it looks at my current weight, so that helps.

19577065.png
  • lms1213
    lms1213 Posts: 2
    Options
    I bought my dress at the size I am now. It is better to go big than small. So much easier to have it taken in than having it let out. They only give you about a 1/2 inch seam on the sides so if you need to let it out for whatever reason it can be difficult. Remember wedding dresses run 1-2 sizes smaller than normal clothing sizes so don't pay attention to the dress size. Be proud of who you are and remember you are beautiful!
  • shazzannon
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and support, everyone!
  • kfhoffman12
    Options
    I wrote this in my welcome post. But i actually purchased my dress two sizes smaller. My thinking was that the dress could be let out a size and I was already close to fitting in that size, so if i only lost a few i would be okay. The dress can also be altered down 3 sizes so if i REALLY got my butt in gear I could take it down as needed! I am proud to say that it now fits, but I would love to alter it down. When is your wedding? If you are going to be ordering a dress they typically 5-8 months to come in with another 1-2 months for alterations before the big day. I would give yourself plenty of time to find a dress and make sure it comes in on time for alterations. Unless you happen to find a sample dress in your size! :)
  • shazzannon
    Options
    I wrote this in my welcome post. But i actually purchased my dress two sizes smaller. My thinking was that the dress could be let out a size and I was already close to fitting in that size, so if i only lost a few i would be okay. The dress can also be altered down 3 sizes so if i REALLY got my butt in gear I could take it down as needed! I am proud to say that it now fits, but I would love to alter it down. When is your wedding? If you are going to be ordering a dress they typically 5-8 months to come in with another 1-2 months for alterations before the big day. I would give yourself plenty of time to find a dress and make sure it comes in on time for alterations. Unless you happen to find a sample dress in your size! :)

I'm getting married in October :-/ And although I've been looking for awhile, I can't find any dresses that I like. At this point, I'm considering going the dressmaker route.
  • jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in October :-/ And although I've been looking for awhile, I can't find any dresses that I like. At this point, I'm considering going the dressmaker route.

I also haven't found the dress I want. I wanted a non-white dress that I can continue to wear after the wedding (and on the honeymoon) and was wondering how the dress maker thing worked. Do you know how long it takes or how much it costs generally?
  • kfhoffman12
    Options
    I have a lot of girlfriends that actually wore white bridesmaid dresses or other colored dresses they found in stores. Nothing wrong with wanting to be able to wear it again! I think having one custom made could get pricey, but you never know! You may be able to find a great seamstress to help you out.

What kind of dress styles do you ladies have in mind!?
  • shazzannon
    Options
    I have a lot of girlfriends that actually wore white bridesmaid dresses or other colored dresses they found in stores. Nothing wrong with wanting to be able to wear it again! I think having one custom made could get pricey, but you never know! You may be able to find a great seamstress to help you out.

What kind of dress styles do you ladies have in mind!?

For me it's 50's-60's vintage. Think Audrey Hepburn Funny Face. I'm also wearing a pillbox hat with a birdcage veil (as are all of my bridesmaids) and saddle-shoe heels. The one I loved was at David's Bridal, but it's not in season any more so I can't get it :-(
  • kfhoffman12
    Options
    oh what a bummer about the davids bridal dress. Do you have the style number? sometimes you can find them at other stores online! Ill keep my eye out for similar dresses!
  • Enoira
    Enoira Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes --- I too bought for the size I am --- and hope to heck that I lose weight! (which I have thanks to MFP!)
  • Ivythorn
    Ivythorn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was between 2 sizes so I bought the smaller one. It is a corset backed dress so pretty forgiving, but I am hoping I can reward myself by having to take it in before the wedding! I liked the way I looked in it when I picked it up and know that really if I were to just tone up a bit I'll look great as I am.
  • Sarahsarahsarahk
    Sarahsarahsarahk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 15 lbs when I bought my dress and I ordered it in the size I was then. I have lost 5 lbs more since. I will just get it altered smaller if I need to!