Marathon Training Mode

Options
cmh806
cmh806 Posts: 36 Member
Who is out there currently in marathon training mode for the the fall? I have run 18 marathons and one Ultra. I have been trying to drop about 20 lbs. and get back to a PR. I know the extra 20 lbs has held me back from finishing above the mid pack level. I have added weight lifting 3 times a week to the 4 days I am running. If anyone else in training mode, let me know. I would like to how your progress is going and what goals you have set. I really enjoy the 26.2 but the Ultra was a great experience. Keep running!

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of always in training mode. Even when I don't have a marathon for a few months, I keep my long run up ~ 16 or so. That way I can race halfs at anytime (my favorite distance) and ramp up for a marathon pretty quickly.

The extra lbs. don't help anything, I can tell you that from experience.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'm willing to take a stab beating my marathon PR. These days, I'm happy as long as I run a smart marathon (even splits).
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in training mode, though I'm in the process of picking my next race (looking at either October or December). My stretch goal is to BQ... not positive I can do it, but feel like it's within reach if I really put in the work and keep my head on straight.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    hi cmh. i'm kind of in training mode too, i guess. i just did my 1st marathon a few weeks ago (which nearly killed me!), and am signed up for another on 28th oct. so i can't let myself slide too much and intend to keep up with maintaining my half distance, then in 3 months time do a 12 week full training programme.
    i'm not at all competative though, and i'm happy(ish) as long as i don't finish last. and i'm still rather overweight (about 35lbs at least). and i only started running last jan. so if you're wanting advice, i'm not the person to ask!
    my goal is to finish my next full in under 6hrs, but i really want it in 5 1/2. time will tell..........
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in training mode, but it's hard for me to mentally be disciplined right now about it.

I've got:
    SF Marathon - end of July
    Coastal Trail Run 50k - Mid-September
    The North Face Endurance Challenge (Marathon) - beginning of December

It's brutal and I knew it when I put this schedule together, but I want to run these and really challenge myself to rise up. I could care less about times and numbers and beating my PRs. I just want to finish the races happy and on my feet :)
  • cmh806
    Options
    Finishing is finishing...that's great!
  • Rsespaniak
    Rsespaniak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that is pretty much always in training mode. Next up is the Cape Cod marathon in October. Keeping the long runs in the 15 mile range makes it easier to ramp up when you actually decide on which one to do next. Helps to have training partners with similar approaches.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I have a marathon in 2 days. After that I'm going to take a break for a few weeks and cut back, then ramp up again for just a Half marathon in the fall. Part of me wants to keep improving my full time, but the training volume is becoming too much for my tastes. I think the Half is more my sweet spot for training effort vs. enjoyment and ability to continue setting PRs.
  • cmh806
    Options
    Good luck on your marathon. Where will you be running?
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Part of me wants to keep improving my full time, but the training volume is becoming too much for my tastes. I think the Half is more my sweet spot for training effort vs. enjoyment and ability to continue setting PRs.

i completely agree with you on this one! i've got a bunch of halves lined up over the next 5 months, then my next full is on 28th oct. i'm planning on that being my last then dropping back to just doing halves. the training takes so much time it's hard to prioritise.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Good luck on your marathon. Where will you be running?

I ran the Pocono marathon. I missed my goal by 4 minutes, but beat my PR by 16 minutes. It was a bit hot, probably 80 degrees when I finished the race. A lot of people seemed to fall apart in the second half not surprisingly.
  • cmh806
    Options
    It's great to PR and greater to pass those that fall apart.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm in training for my second. I ran my first earlier this month. I'm in love. I am hoping to BQ, if not at this 2nd one, then definitely next year sometime. (That means under 3:35 finish for me.)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Im in laziness mode, i'll maybe start half training for a race in September. but im waiting for a friend to decide he wants to run one, i dont want to run and train for one on my own just yet, I have a sneaking suspicion we'll do a interesting one like Helsinki or Prague, and i want to get a sub 3:30, which i think is within my capacity
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am training for the Detroit Marathon in October... will be my first. More planned for next year including a Half Tri and an Ultra Marathon next year! Damn that bug bites hard!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Just ran my 5th marathon. Running a 6th marathon this Fall. I hope to get a little leaner and a little stronger in the interim. Bikini season is here afterall. ;
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Training for my first full, the SF marathon at the end of July. I just want to finish that one (but will disappointed if it takes over 4:00). Before then, I have my first trail half marathon on Fathers' Day at Burton Creek in north Lake Tahoe, and a half lined up in October (Lake Tahoe). If my time is ok in SF, I may try to run the CIM in December, but still a pipe dream at this stage.

Traiing wise, I'm putting in 50-60 miles a week running every other day and cross training (swimming) 4 or 5 days a week with an occasional machine workouts (1 or 2 x/week - elliptical, rowing, rope pull).
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I start training for my first marathon next week. I am doing Chicago in October. I started Hal Higdon back in January and got up to 17 miles, but decided to take a break and start over to follow the program exactly. I'm excited to get back to training.
  • dns007
    dns007 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started training for my first marathon this week. I am doing the Chicago Marathon in october also.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm in the base building phase prior to the actual marathon training program. I'm running Baystate in Lowell MA in October with the goal being to BQ. I'm currently (until being sidelined last week with a medical condition) doing between 55 and 70 miles per week. I expect marathon training to top out close to 85 miles per week.
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of weeks of pre-training before starting a 20 week training program for the NYC marathon in November. Planning to lose 40 or so pounds (gulp!) by then. I feel pretty good that i can get there or at least pretty close if I stick to my diet.