HIIT???

Options
TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
So I am completely not familiar with HIIT. I really want to do it the day after I lift. I am doing NROL4W 2 days/week, Stage 1, week 3. Can I do the stationary bike's "interval training" program? It seems so confusing to me if I have to figure it myself. I also can't do treadmill for more than fast walking because of scoliosis and a past bulging disc...it really hurts to run. Also, how long should I do it for? 20 minutes? 30 minutes? 45 minutes? Is twice a week enough? Thanks for any advice you can give. : )

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I do my HIIT on either the elliptical or the bike. I started out with 5 intervals of 30 sec super fast (heart rate to 155) followed by 1-3 min of slow/medium (heart rate to 130-140). When I first started it took me almost 20 minutes to do 5 intervals because my heart rate wouldn't recover. Now 5 intervals takes less than 10 minutes, so sometimes I will double the number of intervals. I don't go longer than 20 minutes because I'm exhausted if I do and I usually do my HIIT on weight training days.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT with jump rope or jumping jacks. I do 30 seconds as hard as I can and 45 seconds rest for 9 rounds. I used to need 60 seconds rest, but am good with 45 seconds. I can't yet up the amount of time I spend jumping jacks.....it is killer! It feels so good when you are done....well about 15 minutes after.

I despise steady state cardio, so this works for me.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Anything that will get your heartrate up and something you can do for 30-60 seconds is great for HIIT. Running, biking, elliptical, stair climbing, jump rope, etc etc... The idea is to push yourself to the limit, then recover, then repeat. You are find on the stationary bike:)
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I despise steady state cardio, so this works for me.

So do I. I love interval training though it is just better I guess.
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I tried it out today, doing the stationary bike. I did 1 minute keeping my heart rate between 150-160, followed by 2-3 minutes at 135-140. I did five intervals. It took me 20 minutes. It was hard at first but easier by the end. It was great to get cardio done so quickly. I hope I was doing it right. LOL! : )