EMTWL Runners

Options
I know there's a few of us. Have you noticed a difference with running since EMTWL? Here's something I've observed. I usually run in the evenings, although I'm in the process of switching over to morning runs. That being said, with evening runs, I had to have so many calories in the bank or else I'd feel it during my run. I've found that any less than 1200 calories prior to running and I struggled more. Ideally, 1500-1800 calories prior to running helped me to feel better during runs. Then I'd finish out my calories for the day after running.

It's hard for me, knowing what I know now, to imagine trying to train for my half without eating more. In order to have room for dinner after running I'd be forced to run with only 800 or so calories "in the bank". I'm not poking fun or criticizing - we all do what we know as best in any given moment. I just hope that more runners find this way of life. I can't imagine trying to train for my half on 1200-1500 calories. MFP had me set at 1500 calories when I started - no way would I be able to do what I'm doing now if I was following that recommendation.

How has EMTWL helped you?

Replies

• MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    well i am just two days in my 2nd day but before that I was out of breath and couldn't run in place (jog) for even a minuet. today I did it for 4 minuets. I am feeling more energetic if this is how good you feel in 2 days I am going to be the energizer bunny before you know it.:)
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last year about 2-3 weeks into starting my weight loss journey. When I started MFP, I had my settings at 1lb/wk loss, so my net was over 1600 as opposed to the 1200 a lot of users start at. One day I just wasn't hungry, so I didn't make myself eat. Netted something like 1100 that day. No big deal - until I tried to run the next day. There was absolutely no way I could run. I was tired after just walking 5 minutes, couldn't catch my breath, etc. I decided to just walk, and that was quite a workout in itself. Lesson learned. My body needs fuel.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon while I was doing weight watchers back in 2003 and the weight loss all but stopped during my training. I think I lost about 5 lbs total in 4 months. I felt drained a lot. I'm going to run another half in August and I knew that I wanted to lose weight but also fuel my running. I started back to weight watchers with a goal of eating as much as I could on the program but it still wasn't enough. Every time I went over it felt like failure. So I knew I needed more precise math than points.

Saw a nutritionist and got a DEXA scan. Now I know what I'm dealing with...

My TDEE is somewhere between 2400-2600/day - I'm in between moderate and very active; run about 35-45km/week plus 2 interval training classes or Insanity videos - and I average 2100 calories/day intake with a goal of 100+g protein.

I haven't been injured, I'm getting faster, my long runs are my beautiful solitude and not a slog, and the weight is just sliding off me almost effortlessly. I can do this for the rest of my life; no problem!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Your stories made me smile!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I cant say anything has really changed much. I started running in January and completed the C25K in 9 weeks. In that time I was on WW and eating about 1400-1500 cals. I had lost about 10 pounds in 12 weeks doing it. Once I started eating more, I cant say it really changed my running at all. I run in the afternoons mainly when the kids are down for a nap. Its getting hotter out so I may have to reevaluate my start when the summer hits:)

The fact that I could even run was a bonus in itself:)
  • irunsf85
    irunsf85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've only been on EMTWL for about 3 weeks. Since eating more, I have noticed a significant difference in my running, especially during my long runs. For example, I ran 14 miles on Sunday and still felt like I had fuel left in me. I actually felt like I could run a marathon! Before I started the program, I almost always came close to bonking and there were 2-3 times where I actually did bonk. I also ran my fastest 5K yesterday at 28:21. I'm normally somewhere in the 29 minutes zone.

I don't normally eat very much before my runs, especially if it's something that's only 30-45 minutes; however, when I met with my nutritionist on Saturday she recommended that I eat something like half a banana. On runs longer than 90 minutes, she told me to eat 60g of carbs before heading out and 30g of carbs every hour during the run.
  • hoosmi
    hoosmi Posts: 18
    Options
    I've been on EMTWL for about 2 weeks. I feel like I have more energy but I know it's early in the process. I was one of those runners on 1200 calories with maybe a few bad days thrown in. I totally thought I was eating a lot until I started charting. (I was eating often, but not much...) In one month of charting at about 1200 calories (netting a lot less usually) and running 40 mile weeks, I lost 2 pounds and gained 3. That was my wake up call! I'm a little worried that I do too much cardio and can't convince myself to eat enough yet to be really true to EMTWL, but I'm getting there. If I can work out my schedule, I may run a 5k on Saturday- it will be interesting to see if the EMTWL has helped improve my speed...
  • michellekicks
    Options
    If I can work out my schedule, I may run a 5k on Saturday- it will be interesting to see if the EMTWL has helped improve my speed...

How much have you been eating? On 1200 calories there's no way to replenish glycogen stores. Really. You're running on empty all the time. If you want to race that 5k, eat full TDEE for at least 2 days before that race. Your body will thank you... and you'll probably kick butt!

ETA: I just realized there ARE only 2 days until Saturday lol... so eat TDEE for 2 days then :D
  • rouleaux
    rouleaux Posts: 31
    Options
    Funny this should come up - I recently increased my calories by 300/day (now near maintenance level - trying to reset my metabolism) and have been having a carb rich snack before I head out for my runs - it has made a world of difference! I am way faster (38 min dropped to 28 min for my 5k), my heart rate stays slower, I don't need to take breaks, and I actually enjoy myself! I'm much more of a lifter than a runner, but this might make me change my mind...
  • michellekicks
    Options
    I am way faster (38 min dropped to 28 min for my 5k), my heart rate stays slower, I don't need to take breaks, and I actually enjoy myself!

Congratulations!! That's all kinds of awesome!
  • connorsludge
    connorsludge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm also finding that eating more is essential for running. I'm running 4 miles 3x week, plus heavy lifting and I couldn't shake the hunger. Even after weeks or months of adjustment to 1400 calories, I would eat a "full" meal and my stomach would still growl. One time I was hungry for a week! I look back and it seems pretty silly in all honesty.

Now I'm in the 1800-2000 range. Finally losing weight and I have energy. I agree that my performance has improved. I'm looking forward to 10k training this summer. Much, much better! :)(
  • hoosmi
    hoosmi Posts: 18
    Options
    If I can work out my schedule, I may run a 5k on Saturday- it will be interesting to see if the EMTWL has helped improve my speed...

How much have you been eating? On 1200 calories there's no way to replenish glycogen stores. Really. You're running on empty all the time. If you want to race that 5k, eat full TDEE for at least 2 days before that race. Your body will thank you... and you'll probably kick butt!

ETA: I just realized there ARE only 2 days until Saturday lol... so eat TDEE for 2 days then :D

Thanks- I know you are right! I've been much closer to 2000 calories the last two weeks. I lost 40 pounds running and eating better to get to about 150 pounds back in 2007. I had my third child in 2008 and then stabilized back at 150-155. I was pleased to drop the baby weight but in the 3 years since then I've trained for and run maybe 6-8 half marathons and 1 full and stayed exactly the same weight... Certainly I had some bad cheat meals along the way and some lazy weeks, but I think over time I started eating too little and running more and just couldn't see the big picture.

My BMR is 1527, TDEE is 2478, 15% cut is 2105. I'm trying to get to at least the 2105 calories. (I'm 5'7", approx. 153 pounds, and 41 years old). I'm guessing I need to do the full reset for awhile, but may wait a couple of weeks so I'm not overwhelmed with eating! lol. I'm so glad to find this group!

I'm thinking the 5k may not happen on Saturday because my peeps want to go shopping out of town. There's a 5k on July 4th that I usually run-- I may set that as my goal. My long term goal is a full in November- ideally I'd like to weigh less, but if I just get there feeling strong and healthy, that will be just fine!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I have more energy on my runs and don't need to take walk breaks! i'm loving this life style and glad i found this group