Wondering: Do you log a food when...

Options
I'm curious what everyone in this group does? When a food has zero carbs do you still log it ??
Is everyone counting carbs and calories, or just carbs? For example butter, vodka, turkey have zero carbs. Does it matter if I leave them out or not?

Thanks so much for any advice, & info ! :)

Replies

• sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I find counting calories stuffs me up. As long as you know your not over-doing it. If your carb count is right but the weights not moving you should count just to see if you are eating too much. Your body tells you when you are full. If you are not satisfied with your meals, I would cut down a little on the protein and add an extra knob of butter to vegies or olive oil to your salad. The extra fat will satisfy for sure. I stopped counting altogether cause the cal vs carbs were screwing with my diet. I know as a 145 pound woman, a cup of lettuce with heaps of dressing and a large chicken fillet or lamb chop will be enough. Maybe an egg or cheese too if Im extra hungry. Don't try and get that 'full' feeling you had as a carb eater. You wont find it cause its the carbs that bloat up your tummy. Just satisfy. So in short, go without counting the calories unless of course you stall and/or have gained. If you are losing nicely, dont bother :) carbs are the important factor!
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    Thank you so much ! this is very helpful!
    May I ask you how many grams of carbs do you eat? Is it ok if I add you as a friend?
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I really don't watch calories too closely but enough to make sure I'm eating enough. However I watch carbs, sodium and fat. I have to watch sodium because I am very sensitive to it, fat to make sure I get enough.......

And logging everything gives me a good idea what may or may not be causing issues if one comes up.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    thanks for the response ! much appreciated :)
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Even Atkins says that calories do count-in both directions. Eat to many, you won't lose weight--eat too few, you won't lose weight. So I am low carbing--watching both carbs and calories. Atkins suggests between 1500-1800 cal for a woman(that's total not net) I did that simulator that was being tossed around that is right about right to lose, for me at my age.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth, even gum, xylitol and mio. I don't pay much attention to calories but mfp makes it the major factor and it's interesting to see my net cals after a day with 2-3 workouts. If I was a calorie counter, I'd be worried. Luckily, my low carb woe allows me to not give a crap. :happy:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I've been logging everything, mostly :D I'm probably 95% accurate, occasionally I haven't logged a really low carb snack after I've closed out the log and it's been late at night. If I remember the next day I'll go back and update. For right now I'm really curious about how many calories I'm eating, and so far it's been in the 1400-1800 range, and just counting calories MFP tells me to hit 1600, so I'm pretty pleased with that.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but I watch my calories too (and sodium).
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh and another reason to log everything : You must make sure you're getting plenty of fat/oils. And I too have to watch the sodium !
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am a logger... in the mouth, on the diary.

An Endo oversees my care so I track calories, carbs, proteins, fats....
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Even Atkins says that calories do count-in both directions. Eat to many, you won't lose weight--eat too few, you won't lose weight. So I am low carbing--watching both carbs and calories. Atkins suggests between 1500-1800 cal for a woman(that's total not net) I did that simulator that was being tossed around that is right about right to lose, for me at my age.

Yeah I log everything. Sometimes I need to see that I need to eat more. Sometimes I need to see if I should have something carby and low fat (strawberries) or not carby and high fat (salami) or if I should just let myself be hungry for a minute.

I pay attention to carbs first, then sodium, then calories, then saturated fat. I want to be healthy not just thinner.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yeah I log everything. Sometimes I need to see that I need to eat more. Sometimes I need to see if I should have something carby and low fat (strawberries) or not carby and high fat (salami) or if I should just let myself be hungry for a minute.

I pay attention to carbs first, then sodium, then calories, then saturated fat. I want to be healthy not just thinner.

Yup, me too. I actually like having a record of what I've consumed, I'm a geek so it's educational ;)

I started my MFPing on the traditional low fat diet and moved abruptly to low carb a couple of months ago ... It's very interesting to contrast my meals (and results) on basically the same calorie count :)

It reinforces the fact that a calorie is not just a calorie ...