On the verge of tears! I'm so dang frustrated and confused!

Options
MrsKosal
MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
I've been eating at just below my cut for the last few weeks, and sometimes going over and hitting at my TDEE. I originally gained 3 lbs, which I was aware would happen, but since then I've only maintained for the last month or so. I am working out at least 3 times per week, sometimes up to 6. Mainly weight training and 2 days of cardio.

Prior to starting the EMTWL theory, I was at 1200 calories for about a month, and just maintaining as well and very tired.

I am just ready to cry! The only thing I've done and actually been successful with is WW, which I did until they changed the system and everything on here just makes more sense to me, plus its free.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hey! I know how frustrating it can be, so lets see if we can figure out whats up.

Can you post up you Scooby numbers? And if you comfortable what you use for input on this?

Have you been measuring body parts every week?

On the days you eat below your TDEE cut target, are you dipping below your BMR?
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    My TDEE is 2377 and cut is 2020 according to Scooby.

I NEVER eat below my BMR. I almost always hit at least 1861 which was my target since I was going to work my way up.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    How many minutes a week would you say you work out? Have you thought about bumping your calories up by 100 at the end of 8 weeks? A lot of people underestimate their activity levels.

Also if you came off a 1200 calorie diet, have you thought about doing a full TDEE Metabolism reset and then coming back down to cut? You may need to repair the damage from a VLCD before hand so your body responds better and does thing you are just on an extended binge.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into resetting your metabolism and eat at TDEE (2377) for about 8wks...Then once your body is used to that number to maintain when you drop it down to your cut you will start losing again...That is what I am doing and quite a few others in this group....Just a thought...
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    The metabolism reset sounds exactly like what is needed. Your body has stabilized and needs more fuel, so it's times to raise your metabolism. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    What confuses me is that I'm already eating more and maintaining. If I eat even MORE I'll just gain!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    What confuses me is that I'm already eating more and maintaining. If I eat even MORE I'll just gain!

But remember, you thought you were maintaining at 1200, as well. You've taken your cals up to 1861 & have still been able to maintain. That's a telltale sign that your body is attempting to do the reset anyway. Your body is refusing to cooperate any longer until it gets what it needs :-/
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    OP I feel for you.

I am going through the exact same thing. It's driving me insane. It seems like nothing you do works anymore.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    You may gain at first when you start your reset, but the purpose of it is to draw a new line in the sand that tells your body this is where to stabilize, then when you cut back down to your tdee-15% after 8 weeks, your body will recognize that it's now in deficit and start letting go of the fat. If you stay where you are in cals, your body may have simply decided this is your new maintenance and might not let go of any weight unless you start dropping into unhealthy deficit again (basically putting you right back at square one). With the reset, it will raise your metabolism to where it's supposed to be so that you can maintain a healthy deficit later and lose while still eating like a normal person and enjoying life.

It's up to you to decide if you are willing to sacrifice 8 weeks to a possible gain to get the rest of your life back or if you prefer to sacrifice the rest of your life to low cal dieting. Its not an easy road, but it's one worth traveling!

I hope that helps you understand the reason we recommend a reset.
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You may gain at first when you start your reset, but the purpose of it is to draw a new line in the sand that tells your body this is where to stabilize, then when you cut back down to your tdee-15% after 8 weeks, your body will recognize that it's now in deficit and start letting go of the fat. If you stay where you are in cals, your body may have simply decided this is your new maintenance and might not let go of any weight unless you start dropping into unhealthy deficit again (basically putting you right back at square one). With the reset, it will raise your metabolism to where it's supposed to be so that you can maintain a healthy deficit later and lose while still eating like a normal person and enjoying life.

It's up to you to decide if you are willing to sacrifice 8 weeks to a possible gain to get the rest of your life back or if you prefer to sacrifice the rest of your life to low cal dieting. Its not an easy road, but it's one worth traveling!

I hope that helps you understand the reason we recommend a reset.

^^^^^ LOVE THIS!!! ^^^^

I'm still on the fence about possibly doing a "full reset" myself. I jumped up to TDEE -15%, but never did TDEE. I only did VLCD for about 3 weeks, so didn't feel I needed it (but I spent years "skipping meals accidentally" or eating at times that were FAR too spaced out - rarely eating breakfast...you get the picture). I've been doing 2,000 calories for 4 weeks now. Haven't stepped on a scale during that time, either. I plan on weighing myself in another month and not a day sooner. I *will* be checking my body fat % next week, but that's it, and I'm not really expecting a change and I'm okay with that. In another month, after weighing myself and seeing if I'm still feeling satiated and seeing if I have the energy I need to power through my workouts THEN I will see about jumping up to TDEE, only if those (and other factors) clue me in that eating at maintenance for 8 weeks is going to be beneficial. If I feel that I need to, then I ABSOLUTELY will. This is a long process, but it's a worthy one. I can sacrifice a few months waiting for some lasting weight loss in exchange for a lifetime of health and happiness. It's a no-brainer for me. I absolutely wish you the very best as you decide your next step on this journey. Blessings! :heart:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous poster - you should do a reset. Give at a few more weeks-you have nothing to lose!

I have been on low cals so long, now I am at 2000 and I am going to do the full reset as soon as I am comfortable with the food amounts.

Don't give up-you can do it and you will succeed.
  • kay_bear52
    kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration too. But sadly for me I still haven't been able to get up to my TDEE or eevn my BMR. I just don't know how to eat enough calories to get me there. I have been stuck at 900-1000 calories for so long that I am just not hungry
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration too. But sadly for me I still haven't been able to get up to my TDEE or eevn my BMR. I just don't know how to eat enough calories to get me there. I have been stuck at 900-1000 calories for so long that I am just not hungry

i've been doing this for 10 days so not as experienced as some folk on here, however i make it my priority to ensure i get all my 1688/1700 cals every day, last night i had a piece of cheese to finish off the last 130 cals i needed. I have broken it into meals and i know how many i must try to eat and if i miss, i have to have something in the evening. or an extra afternoon snack.

How mancy calroies are you trying to get in each day?
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

But remember, you thought you were maintaining at 1200, as well. You've taken your cals up to 1861 & have still been able to maintain. That's a telltale sign that your body is attempting to do the reset anyway. Your body is refusing to cooperate any longer until it gets what it needs :-/

Exactly! You didn't gain weight at 1200. At that point you maybe even thought going to 1300 would give you a gain! You're not gaining at BMR... you won't gain at cut... therefore you won't gain at maintanence. Not permenently anyway, there might be a few weeks or so while your body adjusts,but it will go away!

This situation stinks and I know how you feel. But I agree with everyone else who's saying a reset is in order. It will be worth it in the long run.

If you're totally freaked out maybe just bump a liiiiiittle bit more to 10% or 5% cut, if you really really can't wrap your brain around it!