Calories in - Scooby

Options
Lovesummer3473
Lovesummer3473 Posts: 22 Member
So I went to that scooby website and calculated my numbers. I'm female, 39, 154lb's 5'4" and it calculated my numbers to be BMR 1436, TDEE 2226 and daily cal's to lose .9 a week (with a 20% reduction) is 1781. I changed my protein to 30, carbs to 40, fat to 30, fiber to 30% and sodium to 2500. I'm just wondering on my workout days when I wear my heart rate monitor. Do I want to add any more calories in my day on those days when I burn anywhere between 400 to 700 calories? I only wear it when I work out so those numbers would be specific to my workouts. I would like to lose 20lb's. I have some good muscle on my body but a layer of fat that is hiding it. I've been struggling to lose these last 20lb's for over a year. But I haven't been consistant with my eating and exercising. So obviously that has to be consistant. I think the biggest reason for my inconsistancy is the fact that I don't see any results so out of frustration I give up. So I'm really hoping that these changes will bring me some results and keep me moving forward to my goal. Thanks for any advice. P.S. I did try looking though posts but just couldn't find my answer so sorry if this question has been asked before (but not by me). Thanks again :)

I posted the above question over the weekend and below is the response I got from one person that responded, there were others that responded as well but kind of the same advice.

Eat 1781 every day. If you exercise and your burn is more than 345 calories then you need to eat more calories that day to reach your BMR of 1436. If you find that you constantly have to eat more to net your BMR you may have your cut calories set too low. You may want to start with a 15% cut from your TDEE, I hope this makes sense. I have only been in this group for about 6 weeks. Best of luck on your goals.

My question is doesn't that site already take into account my calories burned as I choose the moderately active with 3 to 5 days of exercise. So just wanting to make sure I should be adding in calories based on the advice above or if I want to leave them alone? Also on a really high burn day if I burn 700 do I still want to keep my calories in at 1781 or add in a couple of hundred?

Thanks for any advice :)

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Going to take a complete stab in the dark on why you choose moderate and still add calories and that is most likely because its assuming based on that activity that your metabolism and muscles etc need more calories because you are a more active person.. but it doesn't take into account how much you actually work.. or scooby's would have to ask for the exercise your doing, time your doing it, and resistance etc.. It needs to adjust your calorie burn because someone laying on the couch not doing anything is probably closer to their BMR daily then someone being active as your body is more active.

The rest of the answer you got is true as to what to eat and how much to add if you exercise.. so if you eat 1781 everyday, and 1 day you do a cardio of 700 burned, you would be at 1081 for the day.. so you gotta eat up 355 extra calories for a total of 2136 for the day..
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello!

You generally never want to net below your BMR. If you cut target is 1781, and you burn 700 you would want to eat those calories back to NET at least your BMR.

With that said, are you sure you are not in the very active category? What is your workout routines during the day?

Also, consistency is key here :) Gotta hit the number and the macros daily.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Lovesummer3473
    Options
    Now with summer coming I probably won't be as active (in a set aside workout but will obviously be active doing stuff outside, mowing lawn, running around with kids, bike riding etc I don't typically sit around watching tv at night and I work full time out of my home so there isn't any sitting around doing nothing) but typically my burn is for an hour long weight lifting session somewhere between 300 to 400 and if I add in running that would bring me to around or over 700. So I guess I was just scared to add more calories in as even at 1781 that scared me. I've been stuck for so long and I'm so afraid to eat more in fear to gain. But I've done so much yo yo dieting my body probably doesn't know what to do any more. Yes I know consistancy is key so I'm working on keeping it consistant. Especially on weekends as weekends have always been my downfall.

Thanks again for any advice :)
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Now with summer coming I probably won't be as active (in a set aside workout but will obviously be active doing stuff outside, mowing lawn, running around with kids, bike riding etc I don't typically sit around watching tv at night and I work full time out of my home so there isn't any sitting around doing nothing) but typically my burn is for an hour long weight lifting session somewhere between 300 to 400 and if I add in running that would bring me to around or over 700. So I guess I was just scared to add more calories in as even at 1781 that scared me. I've been stuck for so long and I'm so afraid to eat more in fear to gain. But I've done so much yo yo dieting my body probably doesn't know what to do any more. Yes I know consistancy is key so I'm working on keeping it consistant. Especially on weekends as weekends have always been my downfall.

Thanks again for any advice :)

You may consider a full TDEE Metabolism reset for 6-8 weeks. This will clear any damage you may have done to your metabolism over the years of yo yo dieting. After the 6-8 weeks bring the calories back down to TDEE - 15%

Check the stick on this. Remember this is not a fad diet, but a lifestyle change. Most of us are not looking for a quick loss, or fad diet. We are looking for something we can maintain, keep the weight off for the rest of our lives :)
  • Lovesummer3473
    Options
    You may consider a full TDEE Metabolism reset for 6-8 weeks. This will clear any damage you may have done to your metabolism over the years of yo yo dieting. After the 6-8 weeks bring the calories back down to TDEE - 15%

Check the stick on this. Remember this is not a fad diet, but a lifestyle change. Most of us are not looking for a quick loss, or fad diet. We are looking for something we can maintain, keep the weight off for the rest of our lives :)

In response to the above response :)

Where do I find info on the TDEE Metabolim reset? And you said check the stick on this? What does that mean? No I don't want any more fad diets I want to reach my goal and stay there for the rest of my life. I'm done having kids so no more weight gain, I've been struggling to get my last 20lb's off after my children. I eat mostly healthy with occational treats.

Thanks for the info :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't have much to lose so you should consider only a 15% cut instead of 20.