Salmon

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I normally buy wild Alaskan salmon. Is there anything else I need to pay attention to when purchasing this fish.... or am I good as long as it says "Wild Alaskan"? For example, when it is out of season, I have to buy it frozen (or canned). So is there anything on the package that I should be cautious of?

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I normally buy wild Alaskan salmon. Is there anything else I need to pay attention to when purchasing this fish.... or am I good as long as it says "Wild Alaskan"? For example, when it is out of season, I have to buy it frozen (or canned). So is there anything on the package that I should be cautious of?

I don't buy it in a can. I'm weary of buying much in a can to be honest.

I go to my local meat market, they always have (or always have had) fresh wild salmon. You could try something like that, if you have one. I do find it time to time in the grocery store the next city over from me (same company as the one I go to in my town) and it's wild. My store only ever has farm raised.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    My store always has wild Alaskan.... either fresh or frozen when out of season. So my question is: is it enough just to know that it's wild alaskan, or do I need to pay attention to anything else.

I only buy the cans/pouches to store away in case I need a quick fix.... not very often do I eat it.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My store always has wild Alaskan.... either fresh or frozen when out of season. So my question is: is it enough just to know that it's wild alaskan, or do I need to pay attention to anything else.

I only buy the cans/pouches to store away in case I need a quick fix.... not very often do I eat it.
    The main issue is: is it 'wild caught'? Nearly all Pacific Northwest salmon is - so verify that your source is wild-caught Alaskan salmon.

Wild Alaskan is best because it has the least amount of pollutants - but basically any Pacific Northwest salmon (Canada or Washington) will be just as suitable. Fresh if you can get it - IQF (individually quick frozen) if not.

Avoid ATLANTIC salmon - 90% of the market is farmed, and that not only presents a lot of pollution issues (both in the fish itself, and water pollution from the fish farms), but since the feed is grain-based, the fish is higher in fat and Omega-6, and lower in flavor and Omega-3. Atlantic salmon has to have color added to make it look like salmon- the grain diet leaches that beautiful orange-pink salmon color away.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    The main issue is: is it 'wild caught'? Nearly all Pacific Northwest salmon is - so verify that your source is wild-caught Alaskan salmon.

Wild Alaskan is best because it has the least amount of pollutants - but basically any Pacific Northwest salmon (Canada or Washington) will be just as suitable. Fresh if you can get it - IQF (individually quick frozen) if not.

Avoid ATLANTIC salmon - 90% of the market is farmed, and that not only presents a lot of pollution issues (both in the fish itself, and water pollution from the fish farms), but since the feed is grain-based, the fish is higher in fat and Omega-6, and lower in flavor and Omega-3. Atlantic salmon has to have color added to make it look like salmon- the grain diet leaches that beautiful orange-pink salmon color away.

I sometimes buy Atlantic due to budget constraints, even though I know it is not as healthy as Wild Alaskan. I will be making the switch to strictly wild Alaskan (or Pacific NW, as you says it's ok) and that's why I was asking for details. Thank you! This is exactly the information I needed.
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Atlantic salmon is all I can buy in Tasmania and it's all farmed, occasionally one of the fish shops will get in wild caught but only on ad-hoc basis and only a small amount. Even the ocean trout is being farmed here. So I only buy occasionally the canned wild salmon but I tend to find it way too salty.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options

If you don't live near the Pacific Northwest, it's probably freshest to buy the IQF Salmon over "fresh".

I've been eating canned Pacific wild salmon from Wild Planet and I enjoy it when I'm not eating the frozen.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I forget how spoiled I am here in the NW - just go down to the market and pick up a fish caught that day.
  • MrsAbles
    Options
    I forget how spoiled I am here in the NW - just go down to the market and pick up a fish caught that day.

Wah. You brat, Mike. You could at least invite us over for fish fry... :wink:
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wah. You brat, Mike. You could at least invite us over for fish fry... :wink:

^^^ made me laugh - we unfortunately had to move from Seattle to Cleveland - no fresh wild caught salmon anymore! I'd LOVE a fish fry!!! :)
  • Devolucien
    Devolucien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It may be more expensive but is surprisingly ok to do as long as the shipment doesn't get lost on the way but you can order wild caught fish and grass fed beefs online from different companies across the US. They ship same day on dry ice. People are always so leary of this option but if you think about it, it's much safer than even buying the safest frozen fish in your local grocery store. This way you are getting it straight from the source, get to talk to the people who 'farm/catch' and it doesn't get flash frozen and then sent to a factory to be packaged and sealed. I've gotten stuff like that before and it is literally caught that day or the day prior. Also, talk to some local chefs at decent upscale restaurants and find out where they get their meats from. Most of the time they are willing to share with you their stock networks as long as you are aware that even with a good recommendation, you still need to do your research!
  • KBGirts
    Options
    If you don't live near the Pacific Northwest, it's probably freshest to buy the IQF Salmon over "fresh".

I've been eating canned Pacific wild salmon from Wild Planet and I enjoy it when I'm not eating the frozen.

I don't live near the PNW.... I live in the Atlanta area, so complete opposite. What you are saying makes sense and I didn't really think about it like this. I just had it in my mind that fresh is better, but since it is travelling so far, frozen would be. I purchased some last night and the package says "fresh frozen". I guess that may not be the same as IQF?
  • KBGirts
    Options
    It may be more expensive but is surprisingly ok to do as long as the shipment doesn't get lost on the way but you can order wild caught fish and grass fed beefs online from different companies across the US. They ship same day on dry ice. People are always so leary of this option but if you think about it, it's much safer than even buying the safest frozen fish in your local grocery store. This way you are getting it straight from the source, get to talk to the people who 'farm/catch' and it doesn't get flash frozen and then sent to a factory to be packaged and sealed. I've gotten stuff like that before and it is literally caught that day or the day prior. Also, talk to some local chefs at decent upscale restaurants and find out where they get their meats from. Most of the time they are willing to share with you their stock networks as long as you are aware that even with a good recommendation, you still need to do your research!

This is a great idea. I've considered this for beef, just haven't done it yet. Does anyone know of a great online source?
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    I purchased some last night and the package says "fresh frozen". I guess that may not be the same as IQF?
    From the FDA website:

"N51. What do the terms “Fresh Frozen” and “Quickly Frozen” mean?
    Answer: FDA's regulation specifies that “fresh frozen” or “frozen fresh” means the food has been quickly frozen while still fresh (i.e., recently harvested when frozen). Appropriate blanching before freezing is permitted. “Quickly frozen” means freezing using a system such as blast-freezing (i.e., sub-zero Fahrenheit temperature with fast moving air directed at the food) for a sufficient length of time to freeze quickly to the center of the food with virtually no deterioration. 21 CFR 101.95(b)"

Based on that, I'd say that 'fresh frozen' is not the same as IQF - but in the case of salmon, it's probably as close as you'll get. Most IQF operations are based on-vessel where a fish (like cod) can be caught, filleted and flash-frozen right at the spot. Since salmon are river-caught, they most likely have to be transported to the processing location.
  • MrsAbles
    Options
    I thought Pacific salmon were caught in the ocean.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    I thought Pacific salmon were caught in the ocean.

You're right - I shoulda googled before opening my mouth...

From wildpacificsalmon.com:

"Alaska wild salmon are caught only in specific, tightly regulated areas within state waters up to three nautical miles offshore. They are harvested by commercial and sport fishermen; many of whom are families and Alaska Natives. Most Commercial Fishermen in Alaska are Owner-Operators, meaning they are independent businessmen and women operating their own boats.

Every aspect of Alaska’s wild salmon fisheries is strictly regulated, closely monitored, and rigidly enforced. The State of Alaska’s statutes and regulations control such factors as:

Fishing areas – prohibit harvests too far offshore where the incidental catch of wild salmon bound for other rivers and international waters would be too high, or too close inshore where the salmon are crowded and too vulnerable. In managing the fisheries on an in-season, day-to-day basis, Alaska’s salmon fishery managers can open and close certain areas to fishing in response to fish behavior, water levels, and other conditions. This allows a reasonable separation of salmon so that each fishery targets a specific run of fish. "

I think my point holds, though. IQF happens on large factory ships that have the space for processing and storage; from the sentence I bolded, it sounds like they have to bring them back to shore first - thus 'fresh frozen'.