Hungry Girl on Food Network

Options
DMVButterfly
DMVButterfly Posts: 169 Member
Not sure if any of you watch the Food Networ. There is one show called Hungry Girl. She substitutes incredients so that we can eat good sized portions of our favorite foods with FAR LESS calories! For example, last night, I made her eggplant lasanga - only 283 calories, 33g of carbs and 2 grams of fat. for a huge hunk - her portions are so large that i dont eat as much as her recipes allow!

REGULAR LASANGA IS 870 cals, 55g or carbs and 50 grams of fat. She used soy or veggie burger as the meat - i used ground turkey mixed with a little pork sausage - i did use nonfat ricotta cheese as she suggests, but i used skim milk mozzarella cheese rather than nonfat mozzarella.

Her recipe makes 4 servings. I cut mine into 6 servings. So even with the changes, my calories are probably close to hers or at least maybe at 350 which is still GREAT!

If you use her recipes, you can enjoy meals during the week that you thought you had to save until the weekend. She makes some of everything. Just google "hungry girl recipes". or her website is www.hungry-girl.com be careful to watch the sodium in some of her dishes. i dont make her recipes often, but for that day you find waiting until sunday to be challenging, check her out!

Replies

• getfitjourney
    getfitjourney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think I need to check her out!!! I saw her on Dr. Oz one day and though her recipes there were wonderful. It seemed as if she knew how to stretch the food to fill you up with out uping the calories!!!
  • mlynnea03
    mlynnea03 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate your post. That's what it is all about trying to make it through the week and feel like you're cheating :). I love the idea of having one modest cheat day too.
  • DMVButterfly
    DMVButterfly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i agree with you both. one of her meals even once a week (or once a month) can really motivate someone to stay on target. you've "cheated" without really cheating at all. the down side that i see is that her portion sizes are too big for those on a weight loss journey. we need to keep our portions under control even on "cheat" days! so glad to have you guys to share this journey!
  • simpson1028
    simpson1028 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    mylynnea03 - your photo is awesome! That is the first one I have seen that motivates me MORE THAN EVER! Weird, huh? Thank you!
  • beccapink
    beccapink Posts: 28
    Options
    Yes I have seen hungry girl and use some of her recipes, I tried one last night with dinner it was carrot french frys ;-) and they were really good..
    :smile:
  • Nmthor
    Nmthor Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Those types of shows make me want to eat! I avoid them. :)