Cloth Diapers

Options

Replies

• kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Love this forum and all the diaper chatter...excellent.

I was wondering what you with older kids do for night time diapering. I have seriously tried everything...my son is a heavy wetter adn I found that wool worked great to keep the sheets clean and dry but haven't found anything that will keep him feeling dry as the night progresses and short of changing him before I go to sleep I am looking for ideas. At the moment that's the one time I use a disposable. I would love to potty train him but find he has come quite good at holding his pee until I put a diaper on him or some training pants...so any ideas on potty training as well would be nice.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't have any potty training tips for boys...yet :) My son will be 2 the end of July and I'm going to attempt to potty train soon. With my daughter I had her potty trained by 2.5 and it took consistency AND I found that putting her in big girl panties was the trick. It let her know that was the real result of peeing was getting wet (as we used disposable and I don't think she really put it together until wee was everywhere) Now I have been given advice from mommy's with boys, and they have said to just put them in underwear (which I've bought) and that's its easiest in the summertime (if you live in a warm area) as when they're outside playing you can just pull their pants down and let them wee. And for getting them to pee in the potty to put cheerios in the potty so they can aim and fire (which I think my son is a little young to enjoy that?) That's all I've got!
  • kelley_m
    Options
    I don't have any potty training tips for boys...yet :) My son will be 2 the end of July and I'm going to attempt to potty train soon. With my daughter I had her potty trained by 2.5 and it took consistency AND I found that putting her in big girl panties was the trick. It let her know that was the real result of peeing was getting wet (as we used disposable and I don't think she really put it together until wee was everywhere) Now I have been given advice from mommy's with boys, and they have said to just put them in underwear (which I've bought) and that's its easiest in the summertime (if you live in a warm area) as when they're outside playing you can just pull their pants down and let them wee. And for getting them to pee in the potty to put cheerios in the potty so they can aim and fire (which I think my son is a little young to enjoy that?) That's all I've got!

Thanks for the advice...consistency is definitely the key...I plan on giving him diaper free time this summer. And I purchased a bunch of little boys underwear so we will see how that goes...I just think he gets to caught up in his playtime and could careless about being wet. I have heard of the cherrio technique but don't think my son would care he would probably be made I put them in the toliet or he would think it was a game and want to put everything in the toliet which he tries to do now anyway.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options

I was wondering what you with older kids do for night time diapering. I have seriously tried everything...my son is a heavy wetter adn I found that wool worked great to keep the sheets clean and dry but haven't found anything that will keep him feeling dry as the night progresses and short of changing him before I go to sleep I am looking for ideas. At the moment that's the one time I use a disposable. I would love to potty train him but find he has come quite good at holding his pee until I put a diaper on him or some training pants...so any ideas on potty training as well would be nice.

My son turned 2yo in January and is not potty trained yet and we use fitteds under fleece soakers at night time. He's in that for about 12hrs. I like the following brands Muttaqin, Goodmama and Dunk n' Fluff. The diaper will be bulky, but it will hold everything you son gives it overnight. :wink: I know Mutts and Dn'F both have more of a stay dry feel against baby's skin, but you could also add a layer of micro-fleece to make your little one feel dry. I hope you find something that works. It took me awhile to find out that fitteds with all around absorption are the ONLY thing that works on my boys for nighttime.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Found out the daycare center will do cloth as long as we provide a lined trashcan for them! Woohoo! Now I'm going to buy the diapering book so I can figure out EXACTLY what I need :)

Hooray for savings!
  • kelley_m
    Options

My son turned 2yo in January and is not potty trained yet and we use fitteds under fleece soakers at night time. He's in that for about 12hrs. I like the following brands Muttaqin, Goodmama and Dunk n' Fluff. The diaper will be bulky, but it will hold everything you son gives it overnight. :wink: I know Mutts and Dn'F both have more of a stay dry feel against baby's skin, but you could also add a layer of micro-fleece to make your little one feel dry. I hope you find something that works. It took me awhile to find out that fitteds with all around absorption are the ONLY thing that works on my boys for nighttime.

Thanks for the suggestion...never heard of Muttaqin or Dunk N Fluff...will have to do some research. Fitteds humm...hadn't thought about using a fitted...thanks again.
  • kelley_m
    Options
    Found out the daycare center will do cloth as long as we provide a lined trashcan for them! Woohoo! Now I'm going to buy the diapering book so I can figure out EXACTLY what I need :)

Hooray for savings!

Yeah for daycares that allow you to cloth...the two my son went to before I got a nanny were also pretty good about letting me use cloth as long as I did all in one so it was similar to changing a disposable and as long as I provided a zip lock bag or some kind of bag they could put it in to send it home...glad you found something that works... let us know what brands u decide on ...there are so many options out there.
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    Just bought (used but clean) the start of my cloth diaper stash! She provided a ton of additional prefolds since she was trying to get rid of everything. VERY excited!

5 Bumgenius 2.0 pocket diapers with inserts (4 light blue and 1 yellow)
    4 size medium Imse Vimse Organic cotton diaper covers (1 white, 2 farm animals, 1 zoo animals)
    1 size medium Green Acre Designs pocket diaper with insert (purple with orange lining) -
    1 size small Dry Bees all in one diaper (light blue)-
    1 size small Happy Heiny's Sherpa Heiny Huggers fitted diaper (natural color, to be used with a diaper cover)
    Prefold diapers - about 20 light green and dark green size, plus about 10 white size. Cloth wipes - 30+ wipes, some are really nice Bumgenius and bamboo ones, others are just regular flannel wipesFleece diaper liners (4)
    1 Bumgenius 1.0 pocket diaper with insert (green)
    3 size newborn Imse Vimse diaper covers (2 farm animals, 1 zoo animals)
    1 size newborn Imse Vimse Bumpy wool diaper cover (natural color)

Now to go through it all and figure out what I still need to get for a full complement of diapers!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to cloth diaper and also, perhaps, try elimination communication (learning to read baby's elimination cues so you can help them go in the potty instead of in the diaper). My mom cloth diapered us and, with my youngest sister, I was old enough to change a ton of her diapers. But boy oh boy, diapers sure have gotten high tech since then! I was trying to educate myself the other day on YouTube and got pretty overwhelmed by all of the options! My mom just used prefolds with pins and plastic covers.
  • busyPK
    Options
    I'm so excited to see so many ladies here interested in cloth diapers! I've already said this, but I use cloth on both my boys (28mo and 9mo) and am pregnant again and will use cloth on this baby as well. There are so many options out there to fit almost every family imo - all-in-ones or pockets for the family that wants easy to use options and prefolds and covers for those most concerned with saving money. And if you plan on having more babies you are bound to save money using the same diapers on the next baby. Again, if anyone has any questions feel free to message me - I love to give advice and help others starting out. :happy:
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bought 17 used Kawaii diapers for $90 (canadian) - on kijiji (buy and sell local goods online), I have all the liners and a bucket too! I like them because I can use them as small as a newbord child till 2 yrs old or so!

The lady I bought them from suggested I use only a wet bucket (instead of dry and wet for poopy and wet diapers).. She said to fill the bucket half way with water, add a tablespoon of baking soda and some vinegar and just shut the lid.. she did this for her 2 kids...
    She just dumps the whole bucket in the wash and does one rince, then a regular wash.. NO stains on any of the diapers!

What do you guys think?
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well done to all you ladies using cloth diapers so much better for the environment. I give you all props!! I myself will be sticking to disposable ;)
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    I now have my entire stash of diapers courtesy of craigslist to last until the kid is potty-trained and spent a grand total of $300. I still want more though...they're so darn CUTE.

Had a conversation with my husband about how easy they are, showed him the flushable liners (so he doesn't have to deal with diapers in the toilet) and I think he's finally on board too.

We may still grab a pack of the organic, biodegradable disposables for when we need to travel though.
  • busyPK
    Options
    Bought 17 used Kawaii diapers for $90 (canadian) - on kijiji (buy and sell local goods online), I have all the liners and a bucket too! I like them because I can use them as small as a newbord child till 2 yrs old or so!

The lady I bought them from suggested I use only a wet bucket (instead of dry and wet for poopy and wet diapers).. She said to fill the bucket half way with water, add a tablespoon of baking soda and some vinegar and just shut the lid.. she did this for her 2 kids...
    She just dumps the whole bucket in the wash and does one rince, then a regular wash.. NO stains on any of the diapers!

What do you guys think?

Some people use a "wet pail", but I've never done that. I put all poopy diapers (after I spray most of the poop off in the toilet with my diaper sprayer) and pee diapers in a trash can type container I got at Walmart. I have organic cotton inner diapers and they do stain more easily than other material, but I just have very minimal stains that will come out if I ever decide to sun them (and they've been in use for over 2 years). You will just have to try out different systems and find out what works best for you. :smile:
  • busyPK
    Options
    I now have my entire stash of diapers courtesy of craigslist to last until the kid is potty-trained and spent a grand total of $300. I still want more though...they're so darn CUTE.

Had a conversation with my husband about how easy they are, showed him the flushable liners (so he doesn't have to deal with diapers in the toilet) and I think he's finally on board too.

We may still grab a pack of the organic, biodegradable disposables for when we need to travel though.

Awesome!! What kinds did you get?
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    I have some pre-folds with Thirsties-ish covers (about 5 covers and at least 20 prefolds since I want to use them as burp clothes too and I didn't know how big my boy is going to be)

I have around 10 one-size Fuzzybuns pocket diapers

I just got 20+ one-size All in One Bebe d'amour with double inserts

Finally, I have around two rolls of flushable liners

I also registered for some of the more pricier ones, I want to definitely have options - ESPECIALLY considering I'm going back to work full time and will need diapers for the daycare and at home and don't want to do laundry every day!

*Edited to add - I also have 5 BumGenius pockets - One-size

ALL from craigslist!
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hey cloth diapering moms!! Feel free to add me. I'm a first time mom, baby due in September... so I'm a total newbie when it comes to parenting let alone cloth diapers!

I plan on using just simple prefolds and covers until my son is big enough for one size pockets. Here's to crossing my fingers and praying Sunbaby works for us. (Gotta love affordable, but from what I hear it can be hit or miss... although I hear she has greatly improved over the last few years)
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    I haven't done cloth diapers. Wish i did not because of money cause with all the showers i had with my first child i only bought maybe a dozen backs up to size 3 then she potty trained. I may try cloth diapers this time around.
  • kelley_m
    Options
    Katlin - yeah the cloths diapers of today are so far removed from what my mom used as well. I used prefolds with pins with my son for the first three months too and still do prefolds with covers when we are home because they are easy and as long as it's just pee I can reuse the cover over and over...

Faughorn - seems like you have a good stash. I loved flushable liners especially when the poop becomes solid as the baby gets older. I also really like my thirsties covers

As for the diaper pal question - i tried a wet pal when I first started CDing my son..I used a bucket but didn't put in the vinegar and the smell was horrific...maybe the baking soda and vinegar will really help...I also had a open pail which so needed a lid. But then I got an old trashcan with a swing lid and started a dry pail with a wet bag inside and some baking soda at the bottom of the pail. It still smells if I wait too long to do laundry but so far not too bad and I just sun out the stains I have in the summer...in fact in the summer my preferred drying method is outside and I haven't had too many stain issues.

ARW- I used prefolds with my son and covers adn loved it will be doing that with the this baby too...I found people on CL, mom listservs and freecycle giving away the thiristies covers which work really well...maybe look into those too especially if you can get them for free.

BusyPK - have you ever tried a ragababe diaper?
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ok the pail question: I was wondering about this. The lady i bought the diapers from gave me a bag but we didn't talk about that. I live in a very small slab home (one floor) so i'm limited on where i can hide a diaper pail. So we've got a suggestion to use a pail filled with water and vinegar and just soak the diapers and dump the whole thing in the wash.....and a dry pail with a bag and bakingsoda in the bottom correct?