health scare

Options
suzieq260
suzieq260 Posts: 1 Member
At 61 years old and being diagnosed with high blood pressure, pre-diabetes and a heart condition all in one day, I was reeling with fear. 6 books later I have decided on a plan of action.
I was slim bordering on thin all my life until menopause. Then without changing a thing other than meds., I gained 75 lbs in a year and a half. Another 25 since then. All efforts and programs did not budge an ounce off of me.
Went side by side with a friend, journaled, never cheated, not an ounce lost. Friend lost 35 lbs. Gym experience the same. Friend lost 20 lbs over the year. Me not even a pant size.
But may have finaly found the key for me. In my reading many books, one in particular, stressed cutting out dairy. Well that was always my 'go to' protein. In one week of cutting it out I have dropped 5 lbs. I feel like I need to recheck my scale. :-)
My first time in an online weight group.

Replies

• K8tzmom
    K8tzmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow! I relate. I always hovered in the mid-120's until instant menopause (histerectomy) at 50. Now (at 67) my body wants to be in the 170's, but I don't. I also tried every weight program known to man - Atkins, Weight Watchers, Medifast, Nutrisystem, Jenny - and was lucky to lose a few pounds a month. Worked out with a trainer for 2 months 3x wkly - no weight OR inches lost. I'm now working with a nutritionist AND a trainer at another gym. It's VERY slow, but I've lost 7 lbs in about 2 months. One thing for sure - do NOT give up. Instead of focussing on just the weight, I focus on feeling more energetic and healthy, and doing all in my power to keep that going. That's really the important thing - our health. Good luck to you!!
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Suzie, you're doing the right thing by checking out what could be keeping your weight on and perhaps affecting your health. This forum is great. A previous weight loss forum I was part of, Anne Collins, which closed down, suggested that dairy intolerance was quite common, so you could very well be right about the dairy.
  • Renee2743
    Renee2743 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love milk, cheese etc. But if you keep them tracked and stay within your daily calories, shouldn't you be able to have them? Maybe you were lactose intolerant and didn't know it.
  • maesgrammie
    maesgrammie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My friend Dylsgram has exactly the same problem with losing weight but hers has to do with being insulin resistant. She's also working with a nutritionist but has just started so her results are not in yet. Happy to hear you're getting things under control - hate that blood pressure, pre-diabetes, heart thing.
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7 pounds, too, Maesgrammie. I think dairy intolerance is probably the same thing as lactose intolerance. You can get pills for that, too, or lactose free products. I like cheese so much that I can't have it in the house because I'd eat a whole brick if I had my way with it.