New to myfitnesspal and struggling with binge eating

Options
Good afternoon everyone

I have joined myfitnesspal this afternoon in the hope that it will give me some much needed motivation to stick to the healthy eating diet plan I am having to recommence after another two weeks of binge eating. I am 25 years old, mother to three young boys, and although I am not overweight I have found that my eating habits have gotten out of control over the last year, resulting in a stone's weight gain and 90% of the clothes in my wardrobe no longer fitting me.

The trouble is, I have found that if I eat anything even remotely 'naughty' then I go into a huge bingeing spiral resulting in me undoing all of my hard work. By 'naughty' I basically mean anything sweet, or anything containing wheat. I am intollerant to wheat yet I find myself craving it continuously, and once I start it's like I'm possessed, when I go over my calorie allowance it's never just by a few hundred calories, it's by 1,000+ (that's on a good day - often it's more like 2,000+, and in just an hour or two).

I never had these uncontrollable urges before last year, and I used to rest at a BMI of around 19-19.5, which I was quite happy with. I really got into exercise last year and have managed to tone up a lot - but my weight has just been going up and up and it isn't showing any signs of slowing down, so as a result my lower body has expanded somewhat. I really, really need some help to keep me motivated right now. Even as I'm sitting here writing this the temptation to walk up to the shop to buy some biscuits or chocolate (or pastries, or bread, or pizza, or frankly anything that isn't remotely healthy) is almost winning out.

Please help me if you can, I don't have any friends or family I can lean on for support and I can't bear to get any bigger (or afford to).

Thank you

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and BED group!! MFP does work if you work it!!
  • sdm329
    sdm329 Posts: 57
    Options
    You'll get great support here. If you're not used to logging it'll take time, but once you start, you'll love it. I've noticed that my binges are getting fewer and less calories as they used to be. It also helps to talk about what is causing them. I sent you a FR, so I hope you accept.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I'm glad you joined the group! I totally understand your struggles. This group is very helpful. :smile:
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    Your a beautiful woman. Ask yourself what you deserve. Do you deserve to have that food make you unhealthy? Do you deserve to gain that weight? Do you derserve to feel diappointed in yourself? No one does! Try and ask yourself those questions next time you think about making unhelathy choices. This is a great site with tons of support and will work wonders if you keep at it.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The first step is really recognizing that there is an issue and you've already got that one down : ) What works best for me is a long road to slowly gaining more and more control over my eating. This means that I may at first only go three days without bingeing..but then work my way up to 4, and then for a week! Although I still step back sometimes and over do it, I am much more aware of how horrible I feel after and typically my binges have decreased in size (mostly because I don't keep any trigger foods, SWEETS & PB, anywhere near me). Coming here has helped tremendously because I can read what other people have been through. It's small goals and making sure I am never starving. We're here with you : )
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i know what you are going through. seems like that is the same thing that happens for me. as soon as i get a "bad" food that is what happens. PB is a big one for me, as well as chocolate. there is a lot of support on here for binge eating.
  • priorm123
    priorm123 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the support. I managed to stick to my diet plan yesterday, and had a minor slip up today when I started on some Cadburys Animal biscuits, but I *somehow* managed to persuade myself that having eaten one bag didn't mean I needed to eat the other five, so after giving my boys a bag each I gave the others to another parent at their school for their children. I just knew I could eat the whole lot and still want more just as much, so I thought about how much I don't want to do that any more and stopped myself. If I hadn't signed up here and received all of your kind messages I would definitely have given in by now, so thank you. Focusing on one day at a time...
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the support. I managed to stick to my diet plan yesterday, and had a minor slip up today when I started on some Cadburys Animal biscuits, but I *somehow* managed to persuade myself that having eaten one bag didn't mean I needed to eat the other five, so after giving my boys a bag each I gave the others to another parent at their school for their children. I just knew I could eat the whole lot and still want more just as much, so I thought about how much I don't want to do that any more and stopped myself. If I hadn't signed up here and received all of your kind messages I would definitely have given in by now, so thank you. Focusing on one day at a time...

Thats the way to do it! Proud of you and you probably made those kids pretty happy just another up