Lunges = knee pain. : /

Options
TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
I'm doing NROL4W, stage 1 and doing lunges. I am only using 10-12 # dumbbells, and I am experiencing knee pain. I can only do about 8 at a time before the knee pain makes it too hard. : / Was thinking of not going as "deep" into the lunge to see if that would help. Just wondering if there's an alternate movement I can do that would give me the same benefits but wouldn't hurt my knees. To my knowledge I do not have arthritis - I'm only 35. Thanks for any suggestions!!! : )

Replies

• Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Not sure if this is the problem but one of the mistakes most people make when doing squats and lunges is that they don't stick their butt out enough which causes the knees to jut out over the ankle this causes pain in the knee. So check or form out in the mirror and see if this is the issue. when doing a lunge your front knee should be almost in a 90 degree angle with your ankle. When doing squats you should be able to look down when you are in squat position and still see your shoe laces.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the problem but one of the mistakes most people make when doing squats and lunges is that they don't stick their butt out enough which causes the knees to jut out over the ankle this causes pain in the knee. So check or form out in the mirror and see if this is the issue. when doing a lunge your front knee should be almost in a 90 degree angle with your ankle. When doing squats you should be able to look down when you are in squat position and still see your shoe laces.

Great advice! Another thing that helps me with my alignment when doing lunges is making sure I can tap my toe. If not, your weight is shifted too far forward. If it hurts too much though, you may want to take a break from the lunges :( You could probably do some HIIT work on a stepmill or elliptical (at a very high resistance), too.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing. Poor form can cause that pain.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing. Poor form can cause that pain.

^^^^^This

Also if you are using weight.. lose the weight don't use any weight and go deeper and lower in your lung (wider legs, straight back leg)... you don't always need to use weight with your exercises to see results.. then if you don't experience pain and it becomes easier, add weight..
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I will have the gym trainer check my form - I so don't want to alter my program. : )
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of odd but when I first started I had issues with knee pain on my left knee so what I did was when I had my left knee as the one going down I would turn my foot/knee in slightly and that seems to do the trick. I still kept good form and even asked the instructor if it was okay and she said yes. I don't know why but just that slight turn inward made a huge difference. From there I never had any other issues with my knees hurting.
  • asidebottom
    Options
    As aj_31 says try turning your foot in slightly, it should bring the knee into line better. Also I found doing static lunges at first meant I could control better what my feet were doing and then I moved onto the full version.

If you do static ones try putting a couple of foam blocks on the floor for your knee to hit to make sure you don't go too deep until you've built up some strength.
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    I agree with what others have said about proper form. I tend to have knee issues and did that same workout today. My knees don't hurt but I didn't use any weight at all and my hamstrings sure got a workout. I can hardly walk (only exaggerating a bit). So I'd try losing the weights and checking your form before altering your workout.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

I was also having knee pain and found when I really focused on making sure my knees weren't going over my ankles it went away.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

I was also having knee pain and found when I really focused on making sure my knees weren't going over my ankles it went away.

You also feel it more in more butt when you do this as well. I have found lunges, squats and dead lifts have helped to raise and tighten my butt. I love it. I have heard that if you feel it more in the top of your thigh then or glutes and hamstrings when you do a lunge then you aren't doing them right. Just another way to gauge your form.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 90 degree angle, very important. Also, things like doing lunges on thick carpet or without proper shoes could hurt the knees too (for the same reason: it's difficult to keep proper form).
  • Nonnie6320
    Options
    When I was at Well Fit, the same thing happened real fast. Michael switched me to squats with weights and the big butt stick out. He told me to do them with a chair or bench if necessary to make sure of my form. It made all the difference.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It can be related to form but it can also relate to tight muscles, etc. Id suggest getting a trainer to check your form...if still a issue i would see a physio.